Mulan-Is she starving or over eating? - Page 5
Close

Mulan-Is she starving or over eating?

This is a discussion on Mulan-Is she starving or over eating? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Get a new cap. Around $50 on ebay...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Mulan-Is she starving or over eating?

Get a new cap. Around $50 on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by scramblermike View Post
    Get a new cap. Around $50 on ebay
    done-42 bucks on vintagecb750

While waiting for my new gas cap and petcock i decided to install my new 16 front sprocket replacing the perfectly good 17 original. 1st gear was really tall and i though i might like some ooomph off the line. Plus it would be a great time to install new chain.
    Upon removing the 17 i took a closer look comparing it to the new sprocket that was supposed to be a perfect fit and noticed two small approximately 2mm mounds on each side that made the overall original 10mm thick, no mounds on the new 16 and only 6mm thick.

Quick run to the hardware store to find two, 2mm flat washers to make up the difference turned out to be more hassle than it was worth. Rear washer no big deal but had trouble locating front washer that would go between lock plate and sprocket. Could not find one that would fit onto spline shaft and was not small enough OD that lock plate bolt holes were not partially covered.
    If i had a real garage and a vice and some other hardware i could have gotten close (found one that fit on shaft but was a little large OD wise) and i could have drilled out two little half moons in the washer to make room for the locking plate bolts.... I wanted to make up the 4mm gap and even it out on both sides of the sprocket to make sure she lined up as close to straight as original.

I was over it-theres nothing wrong with the original 17 and it was just a thought anyway. Stuck with the original 17 and added new chain. Now just waiting for new cap and petcock to get her running in time for this weekend when my son arrives on xmas break.

Makes me think of that famous The Fixx song, "One thing leads to another"....

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

ok so after a little hiatus i got the parts and replaced the gas cap and installed a new petcock.
    Fired her up and within a minute she started running rough again-basically acting the same way as she did before-like shes starving.
    I accidentally left the petcock on that night and sure enough had a big puddle on the ground under the bike. So im thinking ive still got a carb with? bad float? stuck needle and seat?-but wouldnt a bad float or stuck needle allow gas to flood the bike and not starve it?
    If the gas cap is new and tank is now vented, what is general consensus on why shes feels like shes starving?

Carbs flooding can have similar symptoms to running lean.

You need to take your carbs off and clean / adjust them. The puddles they are leaving on the ground are there because your carbs are not right.

You may also have an ignition problem but you need to fix your carbs first to rule them out.

Did I say fix your carbs? That's what you need to do next.
    surfrider70 likes this.

Hey Hillsy-whaddya think-should i fix the carbs or what?....

damint-i was hoping it was just a simple gas cap issue.

Ok-will jump in after chaosmas is over....

somewhat back to normal now that xmas is over.
    I had to crank down hard on the petcock diaphragm to get her to stop dripping-not real happy with the quality of this petcock-cheapo pot metal and thats fine but the thread quality is lousy-burrs all around the threads and took me forever to get the bowl back on.

Im assuming my new gas cap took care of the vent issue, i tested both coils and they seem fine and i have strong spark at all plugs-nothing else obvious shows up, plugs are clean and a quick look at the points didnt reveal anything real obvious. The points were new and condensers looked newer as well. I dont think theres an electrical problem, she ran like a champ until she didnt.

So im gonna take Hillys advice and have the carbs rebuilt and synched by a pro. Theres a local guy near me who comes highly recommended and worked for Honda for 28 years and enjoys working on old hondas mainly in his retirement out of his garage. Sounds like a good dude and we talked on the phone and his suspicion is with the carbs as well. Turns out during our conversation he probably sold or worked on the 74 RD 400 my older brother bought at the old shop in Mission Viejo. It will be nearly a month before he has a slot for me so for now she sits in the garage next to the dualsports. My son gets deployed in 9 days so design/build is on hold until he gets back.
    Just gonna get her happy and running again and have her ready when he gets back.

Once again thanks to all on this thread-you guys have helped me a ton!
    pwalo likes this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Sponsored Links