Pie cut exhaust - Page 2
Close

Pie cut exhaust

This is a discussion on Pie cut exhaust within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; They probably do. This is the first time I'm doing this....

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Pie cut exhaust

jcw
    They probably do. This is the first time I'm doing this.

I have not tried to bend a pipe that way, but when I do a pie cut, I try to finish each weld and then planish the seam to flatten it and remove any dags on the inside. You welding is undoubtedly better than mine, so maybe not an issue for you.

jcw
    Next up was to measure the approximate centerline radius (CLR) of the initial header bends of the stock exhaust.

I traced the initial portion of one of the header pipes on a piece of paper, drew some reference lines and it's about 3.5".

My tube diameter is 1 3/8".

plugging this into the excel program, I get 0.6570949267". Which is the length of the long side of the tube after the cuts are made on both sides.

for example picture from the internet.
    Name:  piecutsm-1024x683_large.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  11.9 KB

I'll put this in solidworks and print out a paper template to wrap around the tube to help with the cut.
    Last edited by jcw; 02-02-2017 at 10:54 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

jcw
    Quote Originally Posted by Teazer View Post
    I have not tried to bend a pipe that way, but when I do a pie cut, I try to finish each weld and then planish the seam to flatten it and remove any dags on the inside. You welding is undoubtedly better than mine, so maybe not an issue for you.
    We'll see... But I know exactly what you mean.
    It has to do with heat input. You get the heat right then you have adequate penetration without that burn through and all that sugaring or oxidation on the back side (or inside in this case).
    Welding in short segments and allowing it to cool under good gas coverage is a technique they use with Ti.
    Pulsing is also very effective in reducing heat input into metals. If I can't get it quite right, I'll pulse it.

It all comes down to practice, practice, practice.

And fit up. You could weld these without filler (autogenous) if the fit up is perfect.

If you purge the inside of the tube with argon the inside will look as good or better as the outside of the welds.
    jcw likes this.

What brand/model of Tig do you have and what do you think of it?
    "Non urinat in ventum"

jcw
    I purchased a parts bike from a guy who welds for a living.
    He was showing me the welded exhaust cans he grafted onto the stock pipes. I asked about welding and welders. He told me you really don't need to spend $$$$ to go red or blue these days(lincoln or miller).
    He had this really small DC only Everlast tig that he said worked fine. At work he uses all miller.

So I did my research and bought a digital inverter DC everlast tig with a nice wide range and pulsing capability.
    Its made in china, I think, so you have small quality control iissues sometimes. Haven't had the need to pursue customer service so can't comment there. If not for a slight flickering of the lights on the panel after 2 years of intermittent use, it would have been perfect for me.
    Super stable low amp starts. Enough power to weld what I need. Enough adjustability for me to weld thin walled tubing and sheet easily. Pulse capability, 2T and 4T operation. Foot pedal might be a touch lower quality but perfectly serviceable. Bought a smaller lighter torch with a gas lens for the frame welding work.

I knew I would probably upgrade in the future to AC tig and aluminum welding but I wanted something to practice on. Make sure if tig welding was something I really wanted or was able to learn.

My next welder will probably be the Italian made(?) HTP invertig 221.

There are others, too. Great time for the "hobbyist" welder.
    Last edited by jcw; 02-04-2017 at 08:30 PM.
    Cyorg likes this.

I've had Lincoln Tig square wave welders, and 3 Lincoln Migs. Now have a Hobart, and find its a much higher quality machine for about the same money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post

Right now I'm trying to figure the best way to make the cuts and ensure the tube is kept in the right rotational position.

Pics to follow...
    Hi, my left side doesn't work so well, so I don't have your skill of TIG welding, but I wish I did. On keeping the right rotational position, if a length of flat steel, say 1 inch by an eighth, or even a length of light angle, was placed longitudinally underneath the tube and welded at the non cut end, it might work. It's just a thought.
    Last edited by MarkHarold; 02-03-2017 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Add length of angle
    jcw likes this.
    Cheers, Mark
    Struth! Stone the crows and starve the lizards.

I realize that a bunch of lobster-looking pie cuts looks very "racer-ly," but to me it seems like a whole lot of work for something that's not very aesthetically appealing.

Name:  700035d1359791626-lobster-bends-2162326030107237321uokyvf_fs.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  275.8 KB

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links