Cafe Racer Forum banner

Better rearset options?

9K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  Mark Burton 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone have a favorite go to universal rearset option?

Looking for something better than the usual single bolt M8(?) holding the entire unit to the bike.

DIY options?

Just wondering was there anything I could look at before I jump into this.

#2 · (Edited)
#6 ·
tarozzi rearsets are absolutely the way to go. expensive, but the quality is top notch

#9 · (Edited)
I don't know. I just like the solid feel of these old bikes' foot pegs. I know you don't steer with your feet but I like having that firm planted feel when moving around on the bike on the track or street.

Thanks BigAl for the racetrack suggestion. And everyone else. The tarozzi were my top pick. Just making sure I wasn't missing any gems out there.

And isn't expensive relative? Modern superbike rearsets from Gilles Tooling or Sato Racing are $500 and up and up. Nuts.

Teazer, what are u using or have used? I read a couple threads that u commented in about rearsets in my search. But they were more bushings vs bearings topics.

#11 ·
I don't know. I just like the solid feel of these old bikes' foot pegs. I know you don't steer with your feet but I like having that firm planted feel when moving around on the bike on the track or street.
in many ways it can be said you do steer with your feet because good racer footpegs will have your body coiled like a peg and your feet help provide leverage to your arms to move the bars. however, if your pegs are mounted properly they will be transmitting the shearing load to the bracket, with the bolt just holding them to the bracket.

And everyone else. The tarozzi were my top pick. Just making sure I wasn't missing any gems out there.

And isn't expensive relative? Modern superbike rearsets from Gilles Tooling or Sato Racing are $500 and up and up. Nuts.
depends on what you mean by Gems. Honestly I used to get used FZR600 rearsets for $20 complete per pair they were the best deal going. Now they tend to be $25 a side for junky ones:
89 - 99 Yamaha FZR600 Left Foot Peg Pedal Shifter Linkage Splines Bracket 1993 | eBay

Yamaha 89 - 99 FZR600R FZR 600 Front Left Driver Foot Peg Toe Shift Lever Link | eBay

but there are some deals still to be had:
YAMAHA 1989 FZR600 FZR 600 12/4 RIGHT SIDE DRIVER FRONT PEG & BRAKE PEDAL ASS'Y | eBay

Even at say $80 a set for nice-ish ones complete that's still much cheaper than Tarozzi - but Tarozzi is the better value because of being new, more adjustable, and more functional. Sure price is relative but relative is measured by the quantity and quality of features you get per dollar. When FZR600 pegs were $20 a set you could afford to buy new anodized pegs and rubber and the parts to make them fit your application and still come out under $100, but now not so much.

#14 ·
I use FZ600 or FZR600 rearsets on about everything. They are real easy to fit using 2 bolts and either existing brackets or just welding on a plate wherever you want them. I like them because they work well, are cheap, I have a box of them because I bought them on ebay whenever I could get them with a low bid and I have 3 FZ600s. The theing they are not, is light although the FZR bracket is alloy, the FZ bracket and all of the footpegs and levers are steel.

Reactions: drgonzo
#15 · (Edited)
Tarozzi's do not use bearings or bronze bushings. just a long bolt and a metal sleeve.
Tarozzi's entire rearset rotates as a unit, meaning if you drag a peg, you could possibly engage the rear brake or change down gear.

Tarozzi's are NOT "race" or "track" rearsets (I know they don't claim to be) and IMO are overpriced pretty hipster crap.
Perfectly fine for a street bike I suppose...

#21 · (Edited)
#23 ·
Fact. I really don't like the look of them either. they seem clunky. I still like the idea of using factory controls from sportbikes. They are cheap, substantial and have parts availability, in addition to crashing better than most aftermarket stuff. I have Woodcrafts on my Ascot and they are nice, but have been welded up already from being crashed. I plan on replacing them with another set of FZ pegs since I have spares.

#27 ·
Fz600 pegs and brackets do not have an ounce of aluminum in them. The FZR does.

Reactions: jcw
#32 ·
They're not. The FZR600 ones are identical, only alloy. The FZ are silver painted steel. They weigh a bit, The pegs are steel, too. I take the rubber part off and there are some nice serrated steel pegs underneath. I have drilled the holes larger in the pegs to lighten them. I'll bet I have shaved off almost an oz, by doing that.

#34 ·
The FZ600 pegs were interesting.

With a little heat, I was able to break the loctite and remove the peg to bracket bolt and disassemble the pedal. They also just use metal on metal for the "bearing" surfrace, which after 30+ years of wear has put a bit of play between the components. Too much for my preferences.

Brackets were made of aluminum. The bike the pegs reportedly came off of may have been mislabeled (FZ600), though.

In the end, the peg is still held on by a single bolt (slightly larger than Tarrozi's). And the actual surface area of the end of the peg that contacts the bracket is not that big.
I guess I should stop fussing over the strength of the single bolt.

But, the rearsets are one of the last things I want to clean up before a trackday in May. With these FZ pegs as models, I am considering making my own. UKMark's nourish triton build and the beautiful pedals he fashioned out of thin air is making me want to give it a go.

#35 ·
If you decide that you don't want the FZ pegs after all, I'll be happy to buy them from you. I can always use another set for something.

#37 ·
CAn you hang on to them until June when I get back to my place in Wisconsin? That will make the shipping cheaper and faster. I will gladly pay you what you paid for them and shipping to me. I'll just throw them in my spares box.

Reactions: jcw
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.