Cafe Racer Forum banner

Ceramic headers coating

3K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  jcw 
#1 ·
Getting ready to send my headers to jet hot for coating unless someone has a better suggestion.
Mainly for corrosion protection for the mild steel headers.

I have my favorite for piston coating(line2line) and I thought about going local, but I figure a big company like Jet Hot might have the best guarantee and most dependable turn around time.
I've read too many bad reviews from local coaters and problems about LONG wait times and unmet deadlines.

#2 ·
did you not want to expose the pie cuts? if you did you could get them cleaned externally somehow - depending on the finish you wanted - bead / media blast, vapour blast, water blast or a chemical dip / polish - and then do the mop'n'glo like the two stroke guys do. but that won't help you internally, where i guess two strokes are protected by with the oil coming out and four strokes tend to hold condensation over time.

i got my headers done at the chrome platers 4 doors up my street. i walked in and said "i need these back by thursday, will that work?" because if they said no i just would have painted them and they were back on thursday. quality is always an unknown i guess, mine are good so far but it's done less than 500km.

hpc did the full system i made for my sport 1100i 17 years ago, but i sold that soon after and haven't seen it for at least 10. i expect they were only coated externally. not sure if you can do an internal ceramic pipe coat?

#4 ·
Yeah. Internal and external coating.

The pie cuts don't mean much to me. The whole purpose was for cornering clearance. If I achieve that, I'm happy.

The coating is so I don't rust the pipes in one season.

Chrome would be good, too. Seems like ceramic coaters are more common these days around here.

#7 · (Edited)
Sprayed, I think. Then baked. 450F for several hours.
They said they can coat the inside of the pipes as far as their spray nozzle can go. I think Jet Hot may have applicators and equipment that will coat the entire inside of the header regardless of length.

If this goes well, I'll send them the frame and swingarm for powdercoat. I'd think about the seat and tank but they are going to need some filler work to make right. OR I thought I read about a high gloss clear powder coat. I wonder how that looks on less than perfect parts? I mean I'll clean up the metal, but there are the various slightly uneven panels and slight puckers here and there.

#14 · (Edited)
It's their high temp ceramic exhaust coating. But I think it basically goes on like powdercoating.
The place is super-specialized. no regular painting, no chroming. Just powdercoating, beadblasting and buffing/polishing. Small place with a good reputation.

They are in chicago heights. Not sure if that's close to you.

#13 ·
awesome conclusion to the project!

Reactions: jcw
#18 ·
from memory the place up the road from me cooks them first to burn off anything, then bead blasts them. or maybe the other way around, so that may change the material colour.

any ceramic coated silver i've seen is sort of a half chromy look that seems a bit odd to me, that's why i go the black. less likely to be surprised on pick up i guess.

this one isn't baked -

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.