Cafe Racer Forum banner

Honda CB100 Rear Sprocket stuck... Stumped on how to remove....

3K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Teazer 
#1 ·
So last night i decided to pull the rear wheel off to inspect it loose sprocket. To my surprise i found that 2 out of the 4 bolts had snapped off... Awesome!
I go to pull everything off and once i get to trying to pull the sprocket it seems it wont come off. The OD of the snap ring part if bigger than the Sprockets ID. Do i grind down the lip on the hub?

Pics...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8C-WSdclRaHOWJTZFk1LVExUFk?usp=sharing

#4 ·
No one is dealing with some bullshit google link with a sign in to look at your pictures.

Have you looked in the MANUAL for the answers?

#7 ·
Yeah, I get it.. posted a vid to help shed light into my problem

ALso, yeah, I looked into a exploded view of the rear and it seems nothing indicates it being harder than it actually is.

So not really sure what i am missing here. I removed the bearings, Caps, C CLips, Only thing left is the Hub and Sprocket.

#5 ·
you shouldn't need to grind anything to remove a sprocket.

What are you trying to remove? the sprocket from the sprocket carrier? or the sprocket carrier from the hub?

Time and pressure tends to fuse this crap all together. A good solid pry bar usually works the treat.

If you have broken sprocket studs, you have bigger problems than not being able to get the sprocket off.

#8 ·
Pry Bar. PB Blaster (or Liquid Wrench). Rubber Mallet. propane torch. Work at it slowly. SLOWLY.

Heat the sprocket with the propane torch. Not so it is glowing hot, just get it a little hot.

Soak the joint between the sprocket and carrier with liquid wrench. Give it a few minutes to soak in

Hit the face of the sprocket with the rubber mallet a few times where it meets the carrier. DO NOT hit it near the edge where the teeth are unless you want to bend it.

If that doesn't work, get a long pry bar and put the carrier and sprocket on the ground. Put one of the pry bar on the ground and make sure the shaft of the pry bar goes against the backside face of the sprocket. Start to pry up. you may have to stand on the wheel or the carrier to hold it down.

#11 ·
sprocket doesn't "press" on to the carrier. It sits on top and the four nuts (number 27 in the fiche) hold it to the carrier mating surface. The lock tabs (number 21 on the fiche) hold the nuts in place and keep them from spinning.

Just to be clear - the sprocket is the item marked "1" in your fiche up there. If you are trying to remove something else then it is not the sprocket.

Because the sprocket is usually steel, and the hub is usually aluminum, the two items glue each other together with dissimilar metal corrosion. Heat and pressure will sometimes microweld them together as well. Once you break that bond the sprocket will pop off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.