Yamaha XS750 Brake Rebuild - Page 4
Close

Yamaha XS750 Brake Rebuild

This is a discussion on Yamaha XS750 Brake Rebuild within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I have your answer mate.. throw the vacuum taps away and buy these...xs650 fit, Xs650 Fuel Tap To Replace Vacuum Tap - Ftt021 - Fuel ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Yamaha XS750 Brake Rebuild

I have your answer mate.. throw the vacuum taps away and buy these...xs650 fit, Xs650 Fuel Tap To Replace Vacuum Tap - Ftt021 - Fuel Taps - Air Intake & Fuel System - Engine

You may be able to get them from Mikes XS in the states but I had lots of issues with the original ones and wanted to be able to simply turn fuel off / on / reserve, these worked treat!

Junior Member FranklinMarquette's Avatar
    Yeah Mike's has them ... thanks man!

So I've decided on Avon roadriders ... it just seems to be a very popular tire that isn't too costly. Plus I like how they look. What is the recommended tire size for the XS750??

Thanks again everyone for the help!

jcw
    If you have the option to go tubeless, the continental classic attacks are an option. They are a modern compound radial tire in classic sizes. Unfortunately they don't have a 90 r19 which probably is closest to the stock 3.25 front.

The stock tires are 3.25R19 front 4.00R18 rear standard. Close to stock in metric size is 90/90R19 and 110/90R18.

If you have the special, you might be looking at a 16inch rear.
    Last edited by jcw; 04-22-2017 at 04:33 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Okay I checked on the current tires they are 120/90 - 18 71H in the rear and 100/90 - 19 57H in the front

Should I risk going any wider in the back? I want a slightly wider tire ... also if the aspect ratio is currently 90% how much lower can I go without compromising stuff. I like the look of a slightly thinner tire and it provides slightly better performance correct?

jcw
    Quote Originally Posted by FranklinMarquette View Post
    Okay I checked on the current tires they are 120/90 - 18 71H in the rear and 100/90 - 19 57H in the front

Should I risk going any wider in the back? I want a slightly wider tire ... also if the aspect ratio is currently 90% how much lower can I go without compromising stuff. I like the look of a slightly thinner tire and it provides slightly better performance correct?
    No.

Tires are meant to go on a specific width rim. 120 is already too large for the stock rim. You can do it (maybe. any wider and the tire will likely rub the swingarm) but it'd be stupid to. You gain nothing and have a poorer handling bike.

As far as lower aspect. You really don't have too many choices in 18". even less in 19". Then you have to take into account diameters of the mounted tires with changes in tire size and aspect ratios will change the front and rear ride heights.

You starting to see why the XS750 makes a bad choice for a custom...
    Last edited by jcw; 04-22-2017 at 10:10 PM.

The swingarm on my bike has already been modified to fit a larger tire. Nah it's a challenge but I like it

So the back tire is a 18 and the front is a 19 ... how hard would it be to swap them? Just wondering

jcw
    Nah. They all are like that.

Can't swap them as the rear is machined for the final drive gear. The front machined for rotors. The rear is wider, too.

You don't know what you're in for, really.

Okay well I decided on Bridgestone Battlax BT45's same size as the ones currently on it.

The Clymer manual I have seemingly skips right over rebuilding the final drive unit and swingarm ... does anyone know where to find some info as far as disassembly and reassembly is concerned. For example what kind of oil goes in the final drive unit and where to fill it to. I want to put some new bearings on the swingarm and it all has to come apart to be powder coated.

Just to check I'm ordering a rear master cylinder from a R1 for the XS750 ... anyone know how they perform with the XS750's stock rear brakes? Or should I just rebuild the stock master cylinder?

Thanks again everyone for all the help!
    Last edited by FranklinMarquette; 04-23-2017 at 08:20 PM.

jcw
    Download the xs750 2d service manual from here. As well as the shaft drive and assembly manuals.

Yamaha Triples :: Service Manuals
    The part of the swingarm is in there. Not too difficult.

Final drive takes gear oil. Manual specs GL-4 sae 80w for temps up to 60degF and SAE 90W for temps down to 41degF. But also specifies that GL-5 and GL-6 in the appropriate weights is acceptable as well. as is 80W90 SAE hypoid gear oil for all conditions.

Same as the middle gear. Don't forget that one, too.

My go to has been the redline shockproof gear oils.

I'd go with a 90 front tire myself...
    Last edited by jcw; 04-23-2017 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FranklinMarquette View Post

Just to check I'm ordering a rear master cylinder from a R1 for the XS750 ... anyone know how they perform with the XS750's stock rear brakes? Or should I just rebuild the stock master cylinder?
    More than likely will be a PITA to fit an R1 MC to your XS pedal / linkages - you can bet your bottom dollar it wont bolt straight up.

And there's little to no performance advantage when it comes to rear brakes - the stock MC will be able to lock the wheel.

So, re-build the original MC....if it even needs it....

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links