Yamaha XS750 Brake Rebuild
Close

This is a discussion on Yamaha XS750 Brake Rebuild within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey everyone! So I'm rebuilding my Yamaha XS750 and have some questions about brakes. I'm new at this so I didn't want to do anything ...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Yamaha XS750 Brake Rebuild

Junior Member FranklinMarquette's Avatar

Hey everyone! So I'm rebuilding my Yamaha XS750 and have some questions about brakes. I'm new at this so I didn't want to do anything overly complicated but if it is the best and most logical option I am not adversed to it.

My current plan is to repaint and shine up the stock rotors and maybe have them drilled (anybody know someone who does this?). I will rebuild and powder coat the stock calipers and put SS pistons in all of them with EBC kevlar brake pads and HEL SS lines. I was thinking maybe the Yamaha R1 front and rear master cylinders to pair with this but wasn't sure ... if anybody has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

It would be close to if not more than $100 to rebuild each caliper. Is it worth it? Or should I go ahead and replace the rotor/caliper combo with something else? The only thing I don't like about that is that I could not find any easy swaps and don't really want to start having to machine parts to make things that aren't supposed to fit fit.

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by FranklinMarquette View Post

It would be close to if not more than $100 to rebuild each caliper. Is it worth it? Or should I go ahead and replace the rotor/caliper combo with something else? The only thing I don't like about that is that I could not find any easy swaps and don't really want to start having to machine parts to make things that aren't supposed to fit fit.
    $100 per caliper is par for the course and honestly it's cheaper than buying a new caliper (Brembo F08s are $130 a caliper and then you still have to figure out how to mount them). I am sure you could get a used caliper but then again you are in the same boat - you should rebuild them before use.

As for the R1 masters - well it is the size of the piston in the MC that makes the most difference not the source. I think the master cyl upgrade for the XS bikes is a 10mm piston for a single caliper setup. I believe dual discs use 14mm. The size of the piston will be stamped on the bottom of any master.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

One of my XS750's had some very nice EBC pro-Lite discs fitted by the previous owner, but at £525 for the set you'd need money to burn.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    conghos and Integra99 like this.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Junior Member FranklinMarquette's Avatar
    That bike looks amazing Steveo! I get what you're saying though as far as the price goes ... for now i'll go with a rebuilt stock setup and if I don't like it then i'll upgrade. Is the HEL stainless brake line kit for the XS750 at a price tag of $200 the best out there? Or is there a better option for SS lines?

Thanks again!

You would be better off scrapping the entire front end and replacing it with one from an FZR600. Even brand new the stock brakes were marginal at best. There aren't any calipers readily available which will bolt onto the 750 forks without adapters. The FZR will be close to a bolt up deal, the only issue might be the length of the steering stem. The other issue is that the XS wheels are very narro and very heavy. Using the FZR front end and wheel gets you a decent front tire, but doesnt match the poke pattern of the rear.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Steveo..

Lovely... any pics of the rear sets up close, a ride to the coast on my XS this weekend and I have finally given in to the fact it needs rear sets!!

Quote Originally Posted by kenessex View Post
    You would be better off scrapping the entire front end and replacing it with one from an FZR600. Even brand new the stock brakes were marginal at best. There aren't any calipers readily available which will bolt onto the 750 forks without adapters. The FZR will be close to a bolt up deal, the only issue might be the length of the steering stem. The other issue is that the XS wheels are very narro and very heavy. Using the FZR front end and wheel gets you a decent front tire, but doesnt match the poke pattern of the rear.
    Yep I'm using FZR600 on mine, the FZR calipers started to leak so binned them for some 2005 R6 ones (cheaper option and better) and levers and MS, huge improvement. Stem is a little long, I had a spacer but I'm removing it to fit the top clamp lower as it sits to proud and ruins the lines so next job on the list. Name:  Roxy Coast.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  1,015.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Integra99 View Post
    Steveo..

Lovely... any pics of the rear sets up close, a ride to the coast on my XS this weekend and I have finally given in to the fact it needs rear sets!!
    Sorry that's the only pic I have. The rearsets are Raask, bought from M&P.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off"

Cool cheers, did you use the rear peg brackets or did you fabricate a tab onto the frame from memory?

Lots of great options there, but you can probably refurbish your brakes with parts from MikesXS.net and get braided lines and fresh brake fluid.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links