XS 400 electronic ignition.
Close

This is a discussion on XS 400 electronic ignition. within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; This was hit on a little bit. Where can I get more XS 400 parts? I've found a few on JCWHITNEY, as well OLDBIKEBARN.COM and...........that's ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

This was hit on a little bit. Where can I get more XS 400 parts? I've found a few on JCWHITNEY, as well OLDBIKEBARN.COM and...........that's about it, minus the few things on EBAY.

Any help from the XS 400 owners?
    Please, break into my house. I need to test my guns.

What I'm really searching for is an electronic ignition system. Any help?

i have an 81 model, so i have the luxury of pointless ignition, however i have the burden of rear drum and 16" wheels. so if you happen to have an extra swingarm, rear disk, caliper and wheel...

according to the yamaha fiche the camshaft is the same on electronic ignition and points versions. so with very little work mostly to the electrical system and the points cover you may be able to retrofit an oem 80-82 xs400 system.

the aftermarket is slim, the three most similiar models all have amazing cult followings

bigger brother- the xs650 a japanese made british twin very popular as a hardtail conversion and as well as flattracker. also sidecar rig so i've heard

half brother- the single cylinder sr500 is still made in japan, available in australia www.deus.com.au and www.stinky.jp is a japanese made british single, cult bike about everyone on the forum probably wants, i know i do.

cracked out uncle - rd350 and rd400 two stroke twin, very similiar only a lot fucking faster. rd350 became the rz became the banshee atv.

all of these bikes share random parts with the xs400, they all also have amazing aftermarket support. but xs400 is the bastard child of the lot.

its a blessing i think a little bit. the more you have to improvise the better. there has been talk several times i believe on here about using hall sensors to make a pointless ignition, i think?

also megacycle makes a camshaft for it.

long answer but no help sorry man... energy drinks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

You might try www.mikesxs.com . Not sure what retrofits between the 650 and the 400 but there are some decent bits offered there...

Interesting. I might check on how much all of the eom parts would cost through speedsupplies.com and see if I can fit them. Might be an expensive project though.

So corey........

If I'm looking at this right....all I would need is a pickup base and rotor off a an 80-82 xs400. Then some aftermarket high ignition coils and new plug wires? What else would I need?

And an ignitor box.

UPDATE FOR THE XS400 DUDES.

I ordered used electronic ignition parts off of EBAY. No wonder everyone hates points. I looked at mine to scratching my head. The YAMAHA manual was talking about how to gap the valves.....huh? I see the point of that, but couldn't tell what it was talking about. It said to turn the cam until the LT mark is aligned with the LT mark. I saw LEFT on the back plate. The only marks I say on the cam was two or three tiny hash marks.

I tried turning the cam, but some dumb ass put a weak bolt on the cam and the head sheered off. So I had to dig the bolt out of the cam hole. Then the same dumb ass put weak screws to hold the points/backplate on. Stripped those out too. Finally got all of the guts out though. Wow! All that stuff looks complicated compared to an electronic ignition which is a rotor and two coils (which I beleive don't need any type of adjustment.

So two rotors and two ignition boxes are on their way (both used since I couldn't find anyone who made an aftermarket kit). If both those work the only REALLY expensive parts will be the Dyna Coils (3 ohms if I read the book correctly) $130ish. Not sure if I'll need to buy new plugs as well as wires. Probably considering Dyna Coils release 40,000+ volts compared to 10,000-15,000 stock. I did Ohm the old coils and they are at 4-5 ohms which is where they should be.

I'm really doing all of this so I don't have to adjust any points, and I don't want to cover the air intakes to get the bike to start when it's cold. My buddy has a 81ish KZ and he has to do that EVERY TIME he starts it. No way I'm doing that.

If anyone knows the bolt size that fits into the cam to get it to turn, please let me know. Eventually I will need to gap those valves. Also checked the floats, they are where they should be. Bought a digital micrometer for $20 at the local parts place (steal!). If anyone has any input, I would greatly appreciate it!

that bolt is still available from yamaha, if you have a yamaha dealership nearby its 70 cents.
    yamaha oem part number - 97017-06030-00

Thanks Cory! I was doing a search for part #'s and came up with BOAT.NET. They have dealer parts for cheap. Awesome find! I ordered all of the bolts I had stripped and another fuel valve for my carb.
    I AM STOKED! Also checked the parts listing like you said. The cam and the bolts are the same, don't see why this shouldn't work. Also glad I bought used pickup coils and ignitor boxes.....there like $400 a piece brand new!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links