Cafe Racer Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1977 RD400 for sale - $3800 OBO

30K views 48 replies 16 participants last post by  jaguar 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys - I'm selling my '77 RD400 to make room for the next project;

- Numbers matching 1977 Yamaha RD400 with a clean Colorado title in my name.
- 14,000 miles total (many rebuilt internals) and runs very strong!
- 200 miles on new tires, refinished wheels in matte black, refinished matte black front fork, refinished matte black mirrors, new points, plugs, ignition cables, carb rebuilt/cleaned and new carb boots
- Recovered seat, aftermarket expansion chamber exhaust, "Y" tube to K&N cone.
- Excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition

Bike can be picked up locally in Denver, CO - or shipped at buyers expense through their preferred shipper.

Assorted spare parts included with bike (plugs, pads, etc)

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle
Speedometer Gauge Tachometer Vehicle Auto part
Alloy wheel Tire Spoke Wheel Rim
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Motorcycle
Motorcycle accessories Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Fuel tank
Vehicle Red Car Automotive exterior Bumper

See less See more
#3 ·
Congratulations jaguar - you got your 5,555th post by hijacking an honest for sale thread for no reason, impressive. Yes, it was one post - but intended to inform a more targeted audience of like-interests of a bike I have for sale that is completely within context of this forum.

For those actually looking for a vintage 2stroke, this might actually be of value to them - so unless you have a specific question about this RD400 for sale, I would request that you keep your mindless negative posts after midnight outside of my thread. Thanks

PS - I'm unfamiliar with the context in which you use "hack" - interesting use of the English language.

#6 ·
he could have put it in the "projects" section. got some feedback, some buzz, dropped a hint it might be for sale. then move it in the "for sale" section. might have took some time this way, but it "looks" better.

#5 · (Edited)
Don't be so precious. You are just using a blog as a free advert. It's amusing having someone with two posts telling Der Jagenemeister (with 5,555 thousand posts) how he should reply to your free ad.

IMO you can 'jack a thread, but not an ad. There is no narrative to bespoil. Some humility in your current hobby would be appreciated by all, and it will stand you in good stead in your private and public life as well.

3.8K is over the odds by my reckoning. The seat looks, well, too Trans-Am. It appears to have the OEM shocks. They were pretty crappy the day they left the factory, and are probably worn right out now.

I guess you have to pay the rent, and now walk everywhere. Good luck with the sale.

Danger, is my business.

PS: N.B., A "hack" can be a person slaving away at task for mere shekels in return. Your ad fits that definition like a stiff old carby boot.

#7 ·
If someone posts in a forum with an advert then they are open to any and all comments about the bike and are as vulnerable to threadjacks as any other thread. And If they are newbies with no history of connection, then it is quite likely that the welcome they get is less warm that one might like. It's the nature of the beast. It's all semi anonymous and people can and do act out being badass.

#8 ·
Amazing - so you came onto an unfamiliar message board and posted a for sale ad without ever getting to know the people that "live" here. Then you get upset when you are called on it? What if we are a bunch of evil bastards waiting for some douche to give us a name and number (like "Mike at 720-252-2977") to start posting male seeking male ads on the Denver, CO craigslist? I guess it's a good thing we are not like that?

Serious questions for you - what exactly does "many rebuilt internals" mean? Did you get the crank seals replaced and the crank rebuilt? And if so, who did the work? Important questions for someone considering buying. Also, who made the chambers? Do you know? There are good RD pipes out there and crappy ones. which are yours?

#9 ·
Diamond - I guess I should have just stuck my RD up on the city corner with a for sale sign on it. That's what you would do right if you selling a niche bike to a small audience within the motorcycling community? Amazing how I had much more positive and constructive responses when I recently sold one of my MVAgustas on an MV-specific forum that I did not frequent prior to posting a bike for sales on the "For Sale" section.

Anyway, I'll answer your questions even though I have to assume that you actually have no intention or interest in purchasing an RD400. Perhaps it will help any of those who are reading this because they would like the bike.

what exactly does "many rebuilt internals" mean? Did you get the crank seals replaced and the crank rebuilt?

A - New upper end including Wiseco pistons (stock CC) with Connecting Rod Kit (Rod, Crank Pin, lower bearing, and Trust Washers), stock crank rebuilt and balanced along with new bearings/labyrinth seals. Complete engine seal kit installed including; drive and timing side seals, drive sprocket oil seal, kickstart axle seal, gear change shaft seal (crank case and outer cover), clutch pushrod seal, gearbox blank plugs.

And if so, who did the work?

A- HVCcycle in Lincoln, NE - HVCcycle Home

Also, who made the chambers? Do you know? There are good RD pipes out there and crappy ones. which are yours?

A- They are Spec II with modified silencers.

Hope that helps to answer your questions. Please let me know if you are an interested buyer Diamondj.

#15 ·
Thanks - really appreciate it. I'm sure it'll go to a good home at some point. Probably not via here as Jaguar factually stated (saw that jaguar and twitworth like to buddy up on the negative responses here).

This ride was more for a trip down the nostalgic memory lane as my first bikes were ripping 2strokes.

#17 ·
ramair311: "New upper end including Wiseco pistons (stock CC) " Wisecos need more clearance to run than OEM pistons. Did you just put them in and hope for the best or think a light hone would let the slip through? How many miles with the Wisecos? Stock CC? Really?

So I gather it's got worn out old OEM shocks? No mention of those. Does the seat suck up water when it rains?

Jag or I have no need to "gang up" to deal with you. I stand on my own two feet, as I see Jag does. And DiamondJ.

I envy your biting wordsmithery. You have got the worst reaction from regulars here, quicker, with the least keystrokes than any other poster. By envy I don't mean funny.

Maybe the street corner with the sign and the minty-fresh Ab-roller is the sales venue for you?

Try putting enough details in a modified bike advert next time. Paying for it even.

Danger, is my business.

#18 ·
How are the reed valves, do they lay perfectly flat against the cage? Stock original, replaced to your knowledge or aftermarket?
… was a part that made a significant performance difference on my 2-strokes.

Oil is still by injection, or are you running pre-mix ? I remember the RD's as being pretty heavy smokers :|
Also having a difficult time keeping the front end down, when it hit the power-band on a modified RD350 :)
… I'd probably be scared to do a high speed wheelie on a skinny tired bike now, been riding the fat Pirelli on the MV too much lately ;)

#27 ·
Good points - as those are tricky on these older 2strokes from what I've learned. The specialty shop that did the work on this RD installed the banshee cages and reeds - which really crisped things up.

The oil is still injection - with everything seeming to mix well still. A bit of typical 2stroke smoke on choke and warmup - but it settles in cleanly - even under WOT.

I haven't pulled too many wheelies on that skinny tire either - especially while still in partial lean out of a canyon corner here in Colorado :eek:, I save that for my Italian flavors that share the stable currently with the RD ('14 MV F4 and '10 1198SP). I'm sure you're loving that F3 - great looking bike.

#33 ·
WAH WAH WAH! Jeebus....quit your moaning. When you come to a public forum, post your first post hocking your shit, i'll give you shit too. Go ahead and try to ignore me.

I can't believe I had to interrupt my day and read four pages of B.S. blubbering.

Here was the email I just received from Ramair311.....aka Robert the Lawyer

This is part of this thread:

This is the reason that the user gave:
This member threatened to list my phone number for nefarious reasons on other internet websites - which could legally be defined as cyberharassment if it was carried out. Additionally, in doing so - he is complicating the caferecer.net forum organization by using this as a venue to make said threats.

I am requesting that this post be removed from the thread - and just hope that he does not carry out his threat as it would NOT be wise to do so after such a recorded public threat.

Thank you,

Robert L Kossack, Esq.

Maybe I should just hit the easy button....nuke your thread and ban you.

Thoughts....or do you want to sue me if I do?

-Mgmt

#34 · (Edited)
My legal opinion is tell the person and the lawyer to go #$%^ themselves. The person knowingly provided personal contact details on a public forum able to be viewed by virtually anyone on the net. That information could be stored anywhere now. The details are in the public domain and are beyond any reasonable legal measures, or redress. They may (or may not be) on gay dating or pizza recipe sites Worldwide, as we breathe. Them little byties have done jumped the fence. They ain't coming back sonny!

No legal office address or evidence of any legal qualifications on that email that I can see.

It's probably a law student just pissed off and mouthing off.

If he considers his phone privacy is at risk, he'll need to stop, block or request another phone number from his carrier post haste. Get someone to phone the number in question from a public phone, if it works or he answers, it means his action has no merit and it shows no real fear of actions of unknown others. It would prove he's just dicking around, as well.

Dick is, as dick does, does dick.

Take screenshots of his generally abusive postings as a newcomer on a motorcycle blog. It then puts it all into context as normal banter between motorcyclists.

I picked him as jerk on his second post. I'm wrong about a lot of things, but my instincts are never wrong.

I can't seen any legal issues in a person phoning him and politely asking: "What is your problem, c#@%breath?"

Danger, is my business.

#35 ·
wit - you are indeed wrong about many things, including your assumption that I am a law student. You spent quite a bit of time on that last post, something must have struck a nerve - although it appears as though you concentrate your insults uniformly accross all the threads.

To the forum admin - fine by me if you delete this post and ban me. Bike was just sold today through a venue outside of here.

Seems like there are some good eggs in here (including trials) that unfortunately have to deal with less than admirable (to say the least) characters like Twitworth.

Sayonara -

#40 ·
Yuppers....no minimum post requirement to post an ad....just bad form as he doesn't pay for the bandwidth here to run the site. Just sucks if some one wanted the screen name Ramair311 as now it will be held by this self-serving douche who wanted to hock his over priced RD.

I just get pissed when a newb comes crying to Mommy (mods and Admins) that he isn't getting his/her way and people are saying hurtful things. I get double pissed when they add their title as an ESQ, and state liable claims that won't hold up for shit.

See ya Bobby. Doubt you'll ever have a thirteenth post. Better luck at DTT where they will coddle you and give you a handy afterwards.

#46 ·
I still can't believe he was asking $3800 for an $1800 bike. I wonder what he got for it from some poor sucker.

#47 ·
Hey guys - I'm selling my '77 RD400 to make room for the next project;

• Numbers matching 1977 Yamaha RD400 with a clean Colorado title in my name.
  • 14,000 miles total (many rebuilt internals) and runs very strong!
  • 200 miles on new tires, refinished wheels in matte black, refinished matte black front fork, refinished matte black mirrors, new points, plugs, ignition cables, carb rebuilt/cleaned and new carb boots
  • Recovered seat, aftermarket expansion chamber exhaust, "Y" tube to K&N cone.
  • Excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition

Bike can be picked up locally in Denver, CO - or shipped at buyers expense through their preferred shipper.

Assorted spare parts included with bike (plugs, pads, etc)

View attachment 8140 View attachment 8143 View attachment 8141 View attachment 8142 View attachment 8144 View attachment 8145
Im sure its gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.