$650 a good price for '74 Honda 750 ??
Close

This is a discussion on $650 a good price for '74 Honda 750 ?? within the Bikes For Sale forums, part of the Classifieds category; I can pick up a decent running, tank and badges painted black a few years ago (fair paint job), carbs resynched last year, dyano'ed, new ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I can pick up a decent running, tank and badges painted black a few years ago (fair paint job), carbs resynched last year, dyano'ed, new tires, new seat, 31K mileage 1974 Honda CB750 (K).

Price is $650.

Is this:
    (a) A complete steal! -- Yes, get her right away
    (b) A good deal. What you would expect to pay for this.
    (c) Pass On this one. Better ones are out there.
    (d) No way. Too high of miles, too much money.

Let me know your choice

Edited by - chiro18 on Oct 04 2007 5:57:39 PM

somewhere between a and c. You really should include a pic when asking these kinds of questions. It is also important to give us everything you know about the bike, otherwise you are just waisting our time.

does it have the original 4 into 4 pipes?

31K is a lot of miles for any bike. However if they were 31K well maintained and cared for miles it is not a big issue (It is not unheard of to see a cb750 with 50K before needing major top end work). If the bike has been abused then it could be a time bomb. CB750s are pretty tough so it would have to be a fair amount of abuse and neglect.

The two big issues I can think of are: 1) are there any major oil leaks? and 2) When was the last time the cam chain was replaced?

If it is still the original cam chain, expect that to be the frist thing you do. If it is leaking oil out the gaskets then expect that it is a good reason to do the cam chain while it is apart.

I consider any running and rideable 1969-1976 cb750K to be a good deal at $1 per cc if you are the kind of person who is willing to do his own work. If you are not, cb750s require the engine to be pulled for any kind of engine mechanical work which means the repair bills can eclipse the value of the bike fairly quickly. @ $650 it would be a screaming good deal for me (considering the last cb I bought was in similar shape and cost me $600) but might be a losing proposition for you if you just want to take it to a shop and have them do the work.

location plays a big part too. cb750s in NYC tend to bring a premium over ones in the rest of the country. Urban vs rural always seems to bring a higher price.

That being said it is not a complete steal for this part of the season but is it better than what you would expect to pay for one, usually a decent rider (Non-original paint, not stock exhaust) goes for about $1000, higher if it is an unrestored rider with either stock paint or pipes. So I am going to go with halfway between a/b assuming that you know what tools look like and can turn a screw without stripping it.

We know the history from the last two owners:

1. Owner number 1 used the bike as a daily commuter bike. He at one time had cafe'ed it with clip-on bars, but before selling it put it back to original configuration. Well maintained.

2. Current owner bought it to create his own cafe racer. He bought it for $900 and put another $900 hundred in carb work, dyano,new air filter, new battery, tune-up, and new standard Honda seat. He bought it two years ago. Rode it bit the first year, but then started a family. This year, rode it only twice and now needs cash.

Cam chain looks like its been replaced. On the test drive, it slugged abit, but the guy said the air filters probably needed cleaning because its been sitting for awhile. She started beautifully, shifted easily, etc.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

sounds pretty soild, if the cam chain has been done then you got time on that motor.

dyano? what is that? did he have a Dyna S or Dyna 2000 ignition put in or did he have it put on a bike dyno and tuned up? A dyna ignition pretty much means you will never have to worry about points, dyno tuned means it should be running 100%.

cb750s are cold natured so if it was chugging it might be that it wasn't warmed up. these bikes take a full 5 minutes of idiling to reach operating temp, otherwise they will spit, pop, and chug.

must really need money if he is willing to part with a bike he put $1800 in for $650.

I say pull the trigger, you could do a lot worse for the same money.

I plan on picking her up this afternoon. Pics online maybe tonight.

Thanks for the insight. I'll have to brush up on the dyano 'do 'dad thinger may gig--to figure out what it means and does.

quote:must really need money if he is willing to part with a bike he put $1800 in for $650.

Um, I think "$900 hundred" would be $90,000. Plus the original $900 purchase price, it would be $90,800.
    I know it's a typo, but it made me laugh. I'm simple.

Here's some pictures of her.

that's a pretty good score for a 750, even this late in the season.

so matt,

didya buy it?

tex

Yep, she's officially mine.

Took her out for a few rides. Ah, what fun.

-Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links