Good deals on Craigslist...or just cool -thread - Page 174
Close

Good deals on Craigslist...or just cool -thread

This is a discussion on Good deals on Craigslist...or just cool -thread within the Craigslist/Ebay forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I know! And i remember i used to scoff at Vespas. But now bombing along country roads on a beat up old stroker seems cool....

Page 174 of 423 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224274 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 4224
Like Tree413Likes

Thread: Good deals on Craigslist...or just cool -thread

I know! And i remember i used to scoff at Vespas. But now bombing along country roads on a beat up old stroker seems cool.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by raven View Post
    I know! And i remember i used to scoff at Vespas. But now bombing along country roads on a beat up old stroker seems cool.
    I never really scoffed at them, bombing around on something that looks like a 1950's kitchen appliance always had some kitsch appeal or charm - esp juxtaposed against things like the Honda Spree, elite, and Aero (esp the Elite which is now it's own kitsch cult following because it is so 1980's). I once had a 60's lambretta Li150 that I got for free and sold for $200 in almost rideable but rough condition - can't tell you the insane price something like that is worth now.

Tash is right though: if you are used to a motorcycle or prone to seasickness hot footing a vespa around town is both terrifying and exhilarating. mostly because of the see-saw motion of on and off the throttle. There is nothing else like it and I understand the appeal. I am always surprised at the number of women who are completely confident and at ease with this arrangement since they tend to be the smarter and more level headed of the two genders and riding an old leaky 2 smoker that rocks back and forth is just bonkers.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I have ridden an allstate (vespa) and some more modern stuff. And perhaps the most frightening thing on 8 inch wheels. A cushman. Its like riding a wheelbarrow with no power.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Earlier this summer I noticed two somewhat hipster-looking bearded guys gassing up vintage Harley Topper scooters at the local QuikTrip. Not the sort of thing you see every day, especially a pair of them together, so I went over to get a closer look and chat. One of them was pretty clean, the other was much rougher. The story was that the guy with the roach had mocked his buddy for buying a Topper the whole time it was getting fixed up (which evidently took a while). But once it was on the road and he had a chance to take it for a spin, he immediately went out looking for one of his own. I thought it was neat story.

it is surprising how nice it is now to own some of the more traditionally maligned vehicles. Scooters in general, and esp things like Harley Toppers or spaghetti harleys used to be hated universally just because they weren't the super macho HD dude outlaw fucked up 1% image. In reality they are a reed valve two stroke (in 1960 no less!!!) whose only real issue is that harley forgot to design a cooling system for the engine that they placed completely inside the bodywork.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of maligned vehicles that are maligned for a really good reason, but some of the more hates stuff because people's tastes are fickle is great now that they have faded into obscurity enough for people to forget why they hated them.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

I want an Aermacchi so bad. (edit: 250 or 350) But i can not bring myself to pay what people want for them here.

I did know where there was a Harley hummer at. but i never could get it bought.
    Last edited by raven; 09-29-2014 at 04:47 PM.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)

I want an Aermacchi so bad. (edit: 250 or 350) But i can not bring myself to pay what people want for them here.

A 5-speed 350 SX is definitely on my bucket list.

There is a guy here in Ohio with EVERY harley hummer. Seriously, if you are wondering why there are no more local hummers it is because this guy has them all. He's asking $80K for the collection which I have seen pictures of and is stunning in just the amount of single make bike stuff there is in one place but is a crack pipe price for a bike that is both marginally hated and forgotten:

35 year collection of Harley-Davidson lightweights

personally I love the little bangers but I would never own one to ride - hang on the wall? yes. ride? no. Make mine a purple heavy metalflake bobcat:

Name:  1966_Harley-Davidson_Bobcat.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  15.8 KB
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

hummer flat track race bike FTW:
    Name:  hummerracephoto.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  402.1 KB
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    hummer flat track race bike FTW:
    Name:  hummerracephoto.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  402.1 KB
    That looks somewhat like my first ride, although it looks a little better than the one I had. Kept it hidden inside a fort that I built in the back yard, so my parents wouldn't find out. My first bike was a BSA Bantam 125, but it was seized beyond my means and then I found the Hummer. The engines were virtually identical except everything was swapped left to right. It's like they used a negative of the engine blueprints and flipped them over. Don't remember for sure, but I think it started life as a DKW, then copied. Thought I had the world by the nuts, but when you're 13, you have a slightly different perspective. Didn't take long for reality to set in.

Sponsored Links