New to Cafe Racers.... Good Deal?
Close

This is a discussion on New to Cafe Racers.... Good Deal? within the Craigslist/Ebay forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hi everybody. I was wondering if some people with more knowledge than I (know nothing) could help me with a craigslist ad. Honda cb450 cafe ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi everybody. I was wondering if some people with more knowledge than I (know nothing) could help me with a craigslist ad. Honda cb450 cafe
    I like the look of this cafe bike. It would be a starter bike for me... something to tool around my small town. Speaking of small. I am 5ft tall and wondering if it is possible to lower these bikes. Im not looking to spend a fortune but don't want to ride the streets on a rinky dink scooter either. Just looking for something fun to get started on that is no fuss.

Thanks for helping a girl out.

Name:  Honda cb450 cafe.jpg
Views: 14046
Size:  42.5 KB

Honda cb450 cafe

I'd pretty much avoid any bike that someone's selling as a "cafe racer" most are deathtraps now and would have been better left alone

I second that sentiment , several things concern me about this bike qualifying as "no fuss" The seller admits it needs new fork seals, which he just happens to have on hand. Why aren't they on the bike?
    Truth is the front forks don't run on the seals, they run on bushings that slide up and down inside the lower fork legs which are made from cast aluminum. If the previous owners neglected the front fork maintenance for long enough, you won't be able to keep seals in it because the lower fork legs will be worn out of round. Second thing is all the missing parts, starting with a front fender. Missing a front fender means you get to deal with road spray, even when there is nobody in front of you. I could go on but simply put, this was not a cafe racer conversion it was a chop and paint of a very old bike with no effort or expense towards items that would improve performance or handling.
    :I suggest you keep shopping.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

First bike?

Ninja 250 or CBR250. And spend as much as you can afford on safety gear. Make sure it all fits properly.

Then ride until you know how.

And enjoy.

Don't buy someone else's butchered up piece of crap.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it! Ill keep looking for something that is a better starter and catches my eye.

Before you buy anything, take the Motorcycle Safety Class.

Fuck your eye. Get a bike that is reliable that you can learn to ride on and not die first, then you can buy all the fashionable old garbage that catches your eye. This isn't a fashion augmentation to your lifestyle - this is a hobby with an increased risk of you dying at the hands of another human being because they simply were not paying attention.

MSF class, real gear (full face helmet, boots, gloves, jacket), and a reasonably modern starter bike like a ninja 250.

Anything else and you are wasting everyone's time on your way to becoming a statistic.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

To put some perspective on the price of toys, this is how the bike you were looking at started life:

When it was new in 1985 it likely sold for ~1500$ with a new bike warranty.

A 2013 Honda CBR250R which is now considered a clearance model lists for 3500$ new from the dealer with a new bike warranty -> Honda Motorcycle
    …that is a no fuss motorcycle add gas, plates, insurance and ride.

I believe I live relatively close to you. I saw that bike this morning. I would avoid it for reasons mentioned. Here is another reason. The guy says it needs fork seals and he has them but hasnt installed them. In my mind, If I were selling a bike I would want it as close to finished as possible to increase the price. If he isnt willing or doesnt know how to change fork seals then what else is wrong with this thing? That is the kind of reading between the lines you need to do when buying these lower priced bikes.

something modern in the 250 class would be a perfect starter for you. Also do you have any tools or experience wrenching? Just keeping a 40 year old bike on the road is a never ending adventure. Buy something newer than 90 and enjoy riding it.

to be honest, given your height a used 883 sportster might be the best solution because of the low seat height.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links