Your thoughts - Page 2
Close

Your thoughts

This is a discussion on Your thoughts within the Craigslist/Ebay forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Why does everything have to play dress up? never heard anyone say a DOHC Honda would make a good "tracker" base.... smarter er money is ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your thoughts

Why does everything have to play dress up?
    never heard anyone say a DOHC Honda would make a good "tracker" base....

smarter er money is on a wire wheeled GS750.
    rode one and Geeto's cb750 back to back. Not a lot of seat time, but preferred the GS.
    but then again i did just buy a cb1100f.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Good copy on that sir.

There aren't that many vintage bikes running around anywhere to be so concerned with looks and such.
    They all ride differently and are tools for different jobs.
    figure out what job you want to do bad get a bike to do that.
    and then repeat until you find something you really enjoy.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

What do you think of this one?

Honda CB | eBay

After looking at the pictures I notice that there are no air filters and the swing arm was changed so they could put on spoked wheels. I thought that mag wheels helped with handling (head scratch)?

It is a k bike, k bikes all have spoked wheels, only the 77-78 f bikes have mags (and dual disc from the factory).

Still lll it is a bit of a hodge poge because the rear wheel is off an earlier bike and the seat is off something else entirely. Bikes are the kind of thing you need to see in person, buying off eBay guarantees you getting burned.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Also the seller has no fucking clue what he has. Those are 77-78 k bike side covers, those are not comstar wheels, the exhaust is a cb750f header with a Vance and Hines muffler (dint know what he means "no manifolds").

it isn't terrible but anything the seller says can't be trusted.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

You guys know the parts as soon as you see them. I'm learning to look for what's missing/has been changed so dramatically there's no hope of me fixing it or is just, well bad.

Did anyone happen to notice on the GS 550 ad that he posted pics of an assembled bike but in the text makes it clear it is a basket case that needs to be put back together?
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Plenty of other options on CL.
    stop being so concerned about spending zero dollars.
    stuff costs money, and if you can't afford to play you can't play.

a $1500 bike that is on the road is half the price of a $1000 pile of shit.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by BigOtto79 View Post
    You guys know the parts as soon as you see them. I'm learning to look for what's missing/has been changed so dramatically there's no hope of me fixing it or is just, well bad.
    Being able to spot parts on sight is something that comes with time and experience. As I said before I have owned a lot of these bikes and spent a lot of time around them so there is little I haven't seen. If I were considering it I would show up at the sellers house with a battery, a compression tester, a plug wrench, multimeter, and various other bits and bobs to test to see if the engine is making any funny noises and the electrical system is working. The engine is the important part, if you have to crack open a cb750 engine it will cost you about a grand in parts to start. I'm never really concerned with low compression (below 100) unless it is significantly low (below 90psi). With cb750s they make oil pressure like a car (40psi) so it is harder to get a bad engine, but you have to wonder, if the bike was working as it should, why did the person stop riding it - ie usually bikes get laid up for a reason and that reason is something broke.

Considering this his bike has been down to the frame, that means everything has been off of it, so something else I would check is to see if there are any missing bolts or things not put back on properly. Hardware is one if the hardest things to track down for a bike esp if you don't have one to match it up for size. There are a lot for special bolts in a motorcycle, e.g. Shouldered bolts, special length, strange thread pitch, etc, so you have to know what is supposed to be there when you look at the gaping maw of a hole without a bolt.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links