Risky buy?
Close

Risky buy?

This is a discussion on Risky buy? within the Craigslist/Ebay forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Is this worth taking a look at? If I take a peak what should I look for and what would be a red flag? How ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Risky buy?

Risky buy?

Is this worth taking a look at? If I take a peak what should I look for and what would be a red flag? How much could I negotiate?

Thanks
    Kevin

1978 GS1000

The answer rather depends on how competent you are as a mechanic. The bike looks pretty clean and not too badly molested. GS1000's are great bikes. The motor will have to be stripped and rebuilt. For some of us, that's no big deal and for others of us, it's a job stopper. Only you know where you are on that scale.

What the hell does "A spark plug went bad and washed out a the #1 cylinder." even mean? If a plug stopped working, the bike would be down on power but how would it damage the cylinder? Haven't had my coffee this morning so maybe I'm not thinking it through? Maybe a valve stuck or it's in need of a valve clearance check? Might be less of a problem than the seller thinks. Are you good enough mechanically to figure it out? Or do you have a friend that is good with this stuff that will help?

These are tough bikes to get to run right on pods and that is not the right tank for a '78.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for the input guys. I am fairly mechanically inclined, but by no means a seasoned mechanic. My fail safe is having a Dad who was a certified mechanic in his earlier years.

His explanation didn't make sense to me either. That's mainly what I am curious about.

Thanks again!

I doubt the guy selling it made the diagnosis, and whom ever his mechanic/friend is probably doesn't know much either. I assumed he was going with too much gas in 1 cylinder washed down the walls and caused an excess amount of wear because the spark plug went bad. I'm pretty sure that can't happen with a motor running 1 carb per cylinder though. No fire in the hole means a whole lot less vacuum to suck fuel in. Sure it can happen on a motor with a Holley double pumper 4bbl, or basic fuel injection. I would suspect a badly set up carb, a bad spark plug cap on #1, or maybe a bad valve.

My interest " got washed out" here early on when I read the ad.

I could strip the top end and fit a new complete piston kit without a care or raising a sweat, could you? Shim the valves? I can.

GS1000s are great bikes, but is this one of them?

I say it's got a ten minute painful plank of a seat and a bad valve.

It's not a stock bike, so comparing this bike to a good stock one makes the price of what the guys is asking irrelevant.

"curiouser and curiouser" ,said Alice. Ask him why it's got cheap pods, where is the stock airbox? Where is it and the stock seat? Ask him if it's been tuned by a MC pro to suit the air filter pods. Has it got a cheap shit battery and needs charging all the time?

At 750USD it could be a good parts foray onto eBay, but the whole vibe is "can of worms". I say he's selling it because it's running like crap and the battery and charging system has crapped out.

If you can get a good stock GS750 1st gen two-valver for twice the price, go get that, a far better bike for the average guy for many reasons.

A "cheap bike" costs in the end about four times as much as a good stock one in good condition.

I think it's a risky buy :/ & I've seen better bikes go for 800$

#1 … is it currently on the road ?:I
    I think no, or maybe he's still riding it with 1 bad barrel and adding lots of oil ?:I

I'd be more convinced with the diagnosis if he said: A mouse crawled up the exhaust and past the only open valve when it was in storage for a long time, #1 cylinder is a mess because I fired it up and flaming mouse parts blew out the freakin exhaust, so I think the rings are done because it smokes like a 2-stroke now. No worries, still has 3 good cylinders and 750cc triples are fast

These are probably too far away from you but should give you some comparison to the GS1000 you are looking at:

1979 SUZUKI GS1000 STREET BIKE!!

http://dayton.craigslist.org/bar/4447966941.html
    Last edited by Diamondj; 06-07-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondj View Post
    THese are probably too far away from you but should give you some comparison to the GS1000 you are looking at:

This bike has better vibes than Mr.Café "washed out" . A mag wheel GS1000 is a far better handling and safe bike than a spoked wheel one. I'd offer 450USD. Where are all the stock parts?, ask him.

Oops meant to post this as the second link. No price mentioned but I would think it would be under $1k:

1978 Suzuki GS1000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links