Bad Idea Of The Day (Cars) - Page 80
Close

Bad Idea Of The Day (Cars)

This is a discussion on Bad Idea Of The Day (Cars) within the Craigslist/Ebay forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; The Silhouette and Silhouette II were show cars built by Bill Cushenberry that eventually became models. The Red Baron was originally designed as a model ...

Page 80 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: Bad Idea Of The Day (Cars)

The Silhouette and Silhouette II were show cars built by Bill Cushenberry that eventually became models. The Red Baron was originally designed as a model and then became a show car and was designed by Tom Daniel and built by Chuck Miller. The model kits engine was an inline six aircraft engine and then a jaguar six, but when they built the full size show car it used a pontiac OHC six which is why the model has the exhaust on the right but the real thing has exhaust on the left.

by the way this is a great site for bubble top show cars:
    Bubble Top Cars - Kustomrama

and a bio of Tom Daniel: Tom Daniel Story

The sprint six 4bbl I had really rolled, it was a great engine, strong and efficient and really great sounding. There was a guy making hop up parts for them for a while including supercharger and turbo kits but he has since gone out of business. It's a really underrated engine and a fantastic replacement to anything that has a traditional chevy inline six in it (which includes some 1970's pickups and 2nd gen camaros). The only part that sucks about them is some of the auto trans ones don't have the rear crank drilled to take a manual so unless you get one that was mated to a manual it is luck of the draw as to whether you can swap a manual behind an automatic one.
    drgonzo likes this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

A buddy of mine is building a Dean Jeffries Manta Ray replica. 3rd pic is a video if you click on it.

Last edited by o1marc; 03-16-2016 at 12:14 PM.
    drgonzo and thechief86 like this.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    Mine was an original 1bbl grandma car with 60K miles on it. When one of the cam followers collapsed I started to look for a replacement and ended up with a complete carb to pan 1968 250ci 4bbl sprint engine out of a lemans for $250. when it was in the car it used no oil and consistently returned 25mpg at 70 mph on the freeway. I have a sprint cam and a 4bbl manifold and I have been half heatedly searching for webers to do the weber conversion to it (Clifford still has manifolds even though they are no longer in the catalog or so I am told). Originally I wanted to put the engine in a t-bucket or 27 track roadster al la the red baron show car I had a model of when I was a kid but then later I got this wild hare to want to stuff it into a C3 corvette like the original 1964 pontiac banshee concept. These days it just sits on an engine stand under a cover in pop's garage....waiting.
    I know where there is a super crappy 26 T body. The original Red Baron show car was designed with a Mercedes inline 6 aircraft engine. When they built it, it was easier to locate a GM 6 than the Mercedes. Imagine the show car loping along at 1,800 RPM @ 180 horsepower with the Mercedes!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondj View Post
    I know where there is a super crappy 26 T body. The original Red Baron show car was designed with a Mercedes inline 6 aircraft engine. When they built it, it was easier to locate a GM 6 than the Mercedes. Imagine the show car loping along at 1,800 RPM @ 180 horsepower with the Mercedes!
    They were also different scales. The Mercedes engine was pulled from a WWI aircraft kit (I think the Fokker DVIII 1:48 scale) for a 1:24 scale car, in real life the merc inline 6 would have been nearly twice as big. There was a 1:12 version of the kit that came out later. That was the kit I had growing up and I think it had the jag engine but I could be wrong.

Jim, PM me about the 26 T body if you are finally ready to get rid of it. I thought about asking about your wreck of a sprite too since I am kind of on a sports car kick at the moment.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    They were also different scales. The Mercedes engine was pulled from a WWI aircraft kit (I think the Fokker DVIII 1:48 scale) for a 1:24 scale car, in real life the merc inline 6 would have been nearly twice as big. There was a 1:12 version of the kit that came out later. That was the kit I had growing up and I think it had the jag engine but I could be wrong.

Jim, PM me about the 26 T body if you are finally ready to get rid of it. I thought about asking about your wreck of a sprite too since I am kind of on a sports car kick at the moment.
    The Sprite is too far gone - for the amount of sheet metal you would need to replace you would be better off starting with a better project car. Plus I would lose my best Halloween prop:

Name:  Haunted Healey web.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  12.4 KB
    thechief86 likes this.

Yes! Those OHC-6s are sweet engines. Honestly going into the 70s, Pontiac would have been well served to have kept it around.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

Kinda on an amc kick:

AMC Pacer wagon

1973 Gremlin X Levi Edition

1974 AMC Matador UNIQUE!

1973 AMC AMX Javelin

I really want a Javelin. My dad had one back in the day.

1972 AMC Javelin

This could be a buttload of fun with a hot 4.6 stroker and a turbo.

1965 amc american

1968 AMC AMX
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by raven View Post
    Kinda on an amc kick:

AMC Pacer wagon

1973 Gremlin X Levi Edition

1974 AMC Matador UNIQUE!

1973 AMC AMX Javelin

I really want a Javelin. My dad had one back in the day.

1972 AMC Javelin

This could be a buttload of fun with a hot 4.6 stroker and a turbo.

1965 amc american

1968 AMC AMX
    Once upon a time I owned a '73 Javelin AMX with the 360 Go Package, posi, spoilers, fiberglass cowl induction hood and the Pierre Cardin interior....lol.
    It was a great car. Fun to drive.

I'm really looking for a small block mopar roller at the moment. I inherited a crashed 5.9 grand Cherokee and was originally going to put that in my jeep, until I discovered that my YJ is rare because of how it was optioned and now I don't want to cut it up. I think a really ratty dart late model circle track style car with a full modern magnum drivetrain would be fun.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

I have a buddy here with a pretty decent 66 charger, but it's got a 383 in it.
    It would be cheap, though, like sub 3 grand, and a lot less rust than you'll find in Ohio for the money...
    It could use some brake and body work(one quarter has some rust), and a thorough cleaning, but it's a very cool old car. You might be able to sell the 383 and the 727 to recoup some of the initial cost...
    He has a yard full of restorable 60's Mopars, but I believe that is the only one he'd sell.
    Last edited by thechief86; 03-18-2016 at 07:45 AM.
    Geeto67 likes this.
    It ain't easy bein' fat and greasy.

Page 80 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links