Bad Idea Of The Day (Cars) - Page 81
Close

Bad Idea Of The Day (Cars)

This is a discussion on Bad Idea Of The Day (Cars) within the Craigslist/Ebay forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Those are good looking cars!...

Page 81 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: Bad Idea Of The Day (Cars)

Those are good looking cars!
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    I'm really looking for a small block mopar roller at the moment. I inherited a crashed 5.9 grand Cherokee and was originally going to put that in my jeep, until I discovered that my YJ is rare because of how it was optioned and now I don't want to cut it up. I think a really ratty dart late model circle track style car with a full modern magnum drivetrain would be fun.
    I think that is great idea. I've toyed with that same idea for my '63 slant six powered dart. Back in the day when I was dirt tracking ,my first car was a '65 Plymouth with a 383, then a '71 Barracuda with same 383, then a '72 Nova , then a '73 Nova with various SBC power plants. In the early days of the NDRA (National Dirt Racing Association, I saw a cool Vega street car set up just like a dirt late model out in the parking lot of Rome Speedway during a big NDRA race. That thing looked the business. I've never really understood, with the popularity of circle track racing in America why that 'look' hasn't caught on with the modified street car crowd.

not going to lie, the reissue of the old AMT Petty "Kit Car" dart model kit was part of an influence for this:
    Name:  amt-richard-petty-1971-dodge-dart-kit-car-august-14.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  67.0 KB

for those that don't know, Richard Petty and Chrysler teamed up in the 1970's to offer "kit car" lat model modified cars based on the dart and aspen cars (and a few challengers).

Name:  CKC4.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  79.8 KB

I don't know why the look hasn't caught on either except that dirt cars run soft suspension so for pavement handling you can't really leverage anything but the look. I still don't know why it hasn't caught on but then again people don't build a lot of nascar replicas either. Still it is a good look:
    Name:  kitcarkk.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  447.6 KB

I found this one already, but I just need to sell my Honda before the wife will let me drag another project home:
    1972 Dart Swinger Body for sale
    drgonzo and Fk5 like this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I always wanted to do a Days of Thunder Lumina. Use just enough of the cowl section for a VIN number.

The thing is though, if you built the suspension symmetrical for the street, it would just be a matter of picking proper spring rates and shocks. The look is valid. And for autocross/track day/daily driver it makes sense. If you know its just a matter of hanging a new piece of sheet metal if you spin out and it wont be a big deal to do so versus repairing a unibody car for big $$$/time, won't you drive it harder, faster and have a lot more fun. I know when I use my Corvette in anger, there is that little voice in the back of my head thats saying "dont stack it up". Right there with the same little voice screaming "rev the son of a bitch higher its an LT4!!!".

- - - Updated - - -

Also there is a demon here locally that i have wanted for a long long while.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

Mine will look more like this.
    Name:  59.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  35.2 KB
    Fk5 and Geeto67 like this.

Fk5
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    I'm really looking for a small block mopar roller at the moment. I inherited a crashed 5.9 grand Cherokee and was originally going to put that in my jeep, until I discovered that my YJ is rare because of how it was optioned and now I don't want to cut it up. I think a really ratty dart late model circle track style car with a full modern magnum drivetrain would be fun.
    Be careful, I think the 4wd Jeep tranny isn't that easy to adapt. You'd be cutting floorpan/trans tunnel/trans mount anyway. I vaguely remember something about the Jeep starter being on the wrong side.

Quote Originally Posted by raven View Post
    I always wanted to do a Days of Thunder Lumina. Use just enough of the cowl section for a VIN number.

The thing is though, if you built the suspension symmetrical for the street, it would just be a matter of picking proper spring rates and shocks. The look is valid. And for autocross/track day/daily driver it makes sense. If you know its just a matter of hanging a new piece of sheet metal if you spin out and it wont be a big deal to do so versus repairing a unibody car for big $$$/time, won't you drive it harder, faster and have a lot more fun. I know when I use my Corvette in anger, there is that little voice in the back of my head thats saying "dont stack it up". Right there with the same little voice screaming "rev the son of a bitch higher its an LT4!!!".

- - - Updated - - -

Also there is a demon here locally that i have wanted for a long long while.
    I am all about the Mopars, but that sounds a lot like the Road Kill NASCAR Monte Carlo.

Quote Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
    Be careful, I think the 4wd Jeep tranny isn't that easy to adapt. You'd be cutting floorpan/trans tunnel/trans mount anyway. I vaguely remember something about the Jeep starter being on the wrong side.
    I would have to check but the tranny is an A518 (46RE) . From what I am reading on-line I just need to find a 2WD tailshaft/bolt on overdrive to convert to 2wd, or Worst case scenario is I go and get a ram flywheel and clutch and a bellhousing and nv3500 out of a 2wd dakota and make it a manual. Jeep starter is on the drivers side but all the magnum swap guides say replace it with a mini-starter anyway.

I am all about the Mopars, but that sounds a lot like the Road Kill NASCAR Monte Carlo.
    Roadkill wasn't the first time someone did that, just the first time roadkill did that.

BangShift.com Street Legal Circle Track Camaro

Bryan Fishel's Street-Legal Circle Track Car - Hot Rod Magazine

dirt track, race car, street conversion race car, Southern Iowa Fair Grounds, oskaloosa, lance smith : Information on collecting cars ? Legendary Collector Cars
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

My one and only EPIC moving violation happened with my Dart 340 Gt 4 speed drag racing against a friends Plymouth Duster 340 auto.. It took two city police cars and a state police roadblock to corner us. The ticket was brutal, there were more notes and boxes checked then unchecked. We were very suprised when the cops said they were not taking us to jail. This happened after working afternoon shift and closing the bar. I'm sure we were drunk by whatever the standard was back then.
    Took the tickets to our union president to fix and somehow the cop did not show up in court so the judge ordered us to attend safe driving classes, no fines, no points. The good old days !

My favorite NASCAR driver was Charlie Glotzbach. Drove the Dodge Charger sponsered by DOW Chemical. At the time I didn't realize Dow was the producer of agent orange and napalm used in Vietnam.

ok so who wants to buy a cb750 for $2500...because I feel like I need to have this:

1936 plymouth olive oyl

Name:  01111_fhRMzgUTN09_600x450.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  55.2 KB
    thechief86 likes this.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 81 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links