Bad Idea Of The Day (Cars) - Page 84
Close

Bad Idea Of The Day (Cars)

This is a discussion on Bad Idea Of The Day (Cars) within the Craigslist/Ebay forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Don't knock it till you've tried it....

Page 84 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: Bad Idea Of The Day (Cars)

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by thechief86 View Post
    That's a bummer... that went from pretty cool to gayer than shit on a mustache.
    um....isn't there a turbo 650 version of that engine? don't you have an imagination?

here is the thing I don't get....those old morgans don't really have any tech that is super advanced - it's all pretty much the same stuff you find in a basic T bucket kit: Rectangular tube frame, simple a-arm suspension using mcpherson struts (or for really old school you can use a sold axle - the original JAP powered ones used plunger shocks so there is no rule about front suspension).

I mean what is stopping people from just building their own version of the morgan using something like a 1927 T roadster body?

seriously, this is the frame of an original morgan three wheeler:
    Name:  Morgan+3+wheeler.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  806.3 KB
    Name:  Morgan-Three-Wheeler-08.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  407.8 KB
    this doesn't look like something that you need a lot of expensive machines to make. I don't get why there aren't more people building their own, the aftermarket certainly supports it.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

My sticking point has always been wheels. It doesn't look right without wire wheels. Modern wire wheels are too heavy looking, I am unsure (okay I am about 90% sure) about lacing harley rims to a custom hub, and I don't really trust 21" model A wires at road speeds. If someone had a good cheap hub for a 21" harley rim to go to say a 4 on 4 or 5 on 4.5 trailer hub it would be the cat's meow. I guess I should buy a harley wheel, some suitable aluminum stock and get on that.... The good thing about cycle cars is they are light so hopefully sideloading the wheels won't cause too much grief.

I want to take a blown up iron head sporty case (like trans blow up), saw off the transmission side and use it to power a front wheel drive cycle car through a 5 speed subaru transaxle. A big twin would be simpler, but I like how an ironhead motor looks more period. I think an adapter plate and hub to hang a subaru clutch on the big twin or sporty shouldn't be terrible to make. I know, the subaru trans wouldn't be period, but it would be hidden under the front sheet metal and one could put leather covers on the CV boots.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

The sliding pillar front suspension should be easy to make on the morgan if you have access to even a modest lathe. This isnt rocket science:

frontsuspension
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by raven View Post
    The sliding pillar front suspension should be easy to make on the morgan if you have access to even a modest lathe. This isnt rocket science:

frontsuspension
    yes but why? you could easily just use a VW beetle front end (or even the super beetle front end) and have a thriving aftermarket available to you. Or a T bucket suicide solid axle.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

The Morgan I saw last night used a wooden chassis.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

morgans use a steel "chassis" (the thing the suspension bolts to) and a wooden substructure to mount the body. It's not a wooden chassis in the sense that major mechanical components bolt to it to locate the suspension.

now it is a novelty but at the time the morgan 3 wheeler was created it was the most efficient way to make a car body with hand tools. If you look at it closely you'll realize it is similar to airplane construction of the time: formers and buklheads with an outside covering.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    yes but why? you could easily just use a VW beetle front end (or even the super beetle front end) and have a thriving aftermarket available to you. Or a T bucket suicide solid axle.
    The super beetle front end is a good idea.

How about a sprint car axle? (Youd have to do some work to make it turn right but..) Its skinny and an older one should be dirt cheap.

Check this out:

Name:  frontchassis2.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  41.4 KB

Use a 71-73 lower arm and replicate that up top to keep overall height down. Maybe a transverse leaf underneath ? Bungees?
    Last edited by raven; 03-24-2016 at 09:58 AM.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)

Early Franklins did use a wooden frame.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)

Jim Holloman's Splendid Splinter, SCCA D Sports racer constructed of plywood back around 1970.
    Name:  Splendid Splinter D Sports Racer.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  37.8 KB

Page 84 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links