82 GPZ750 Ebay $1900. Waited to long - Page 2
Close

82 GPZ750 Ebay $1900. Waited to long

This is a discussion on 82 GPZ750 Ebay $1900. Waited to long within the Craigslist/Ebay forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; A while back I had a GPZ1100 that was painted the ELR colors that was the EFI model. I heard some real nightmares about those ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 82 GPZ750 Ebay $1900. Waited to long

A while back I had a GPZ1100 that was painted the ELR colors that was the EFI model. I heard some real nightmares about those early year fuel injection GPZs but never had a problem. I had more efi hiccups on my new TL1000S that I bought new than I ever had on that old kawasaki. I had grand dreams for it but just rode the fun out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    A while back I had a GPZ1100 that was painted the ELR colors that was the EFI model. I heard some real nightmares about those early year fuel injection GPZs but never had a problem. I had more efi hiccups on my new TL1000S that I bought new than I ever had on that old kawasaki. I had grand dreams for it but just rode the fun out of it.
    The EFI systems on the later models is better for a number of reasons. I have never owned an 1100 but have ridden quite a few, mostly the later Unitrack. Most of the EFI problems I found were either rotten / high res connections (in the days when riders used their bikes everyday in all weathers) or voltage problems in the charging system.

I liked the Unitrack and it was a difficult decision when buying a new bike in 84 GPZ1100 or the new FJ1100 (neither Honda or Suzuki could guarantee delivery for summer of a VF1000R or Katana). I went with the FJ and loved it but bent it 3months later. Then came the VF1000R I bent that too. By this time I was skint and the local undertaker was hawking my street so I stayed away from big road stuff for a while.
    Lite the blue touch paper and stand well back!

For those that are interested in race bikes.

Mentioned earlier in this thread I was building another Harris F1, well here it is approaching final stages of build. As you can see the engine, suspension and wheels are in. Have just done the wheel alignment and in the process of positioning the engine in the right place (move across on its mounts and make spacers). Rather than starting a new thread I though I would post here.

The frame need a lot of repair work to correct the mods carried out by a complete dickhead who should never be allowed to weld again. The bike had a GSXR750 lump fitted; 1990 engine which is a great motor which shared the same longer stroke config of the 1st slabbies but wrong for this bike and was in the process of escaping from the chassis due to fore mentioned dickhead. We have made a new tank as guess what? The same guy who played with frame also screwed the old tank up. We fitted the new tank with a Suzuki RG screw cap and flange. Yokes are original to the bike as are the Suzuki RG500 Mk8 forks (as rare as....) and so to the original Dymags 16 and 18 rear. Likewise the brakes with are magnesium Brembo callipers, the disc carriers are also magnesium which is unusually as they are normally cast alloy.

We have sourced several cheap motors and have used the best of the parts. The crank has been lightened, tufrided and balanced to stock rods polished and peened and 810cc forged pistons. Oversize valves, big lumpy cams and race springs with titanium collars. The head has been gas flowed seats bored out for new big valves, the tracts have balanced as have the combustion chambers. Compression is just under 12:1 with the head skimmed. Gearbox is standard. Clutch is race kit from Barnett, new chains and manual cam chain tensioner. Carbs are 33mm Keihin CR. I have yet to make the exhaust.

Coming together nicely. Will post a couple more when complete.

The bike was campaigned by Jimmy Wells a British rider in 1984 in World F1 TT alongside the other Harris F1 (white bike) above as part of a 2 rider / bike team sponsored by Harris Performance and Shell oils, the other rider was Asa Moyce. Sadly Jimmy didn't finish the season due to a big off in the Ulster GP which ended his race career, despite missing the last three races he finished 13th in the championship. The bike was then used by another British rider Mark Linscott to win the British Motorcycle Racing Club (Bemsee) Unlimited Championship in 1985.

Name:  Harris F1 wells bike in build.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  1.51 MBName:  Harris F1 wells bike in build 2.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  1.77 MB
    Last edited by jalsteve; 09-10-2015 at 11:31 AM.
    jcw and YucA like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I know someone looking to sell a GPZ1100 fairly cheap.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Quote Originally Posted by jalsteve View Post

Mentioned earlier in this thread I was building another Harris F1, well here it is approaching final stages of build. As you can see the engine, suspension and wheels are in. Have just done the wheel alignment and in the process of positioning the engine in the right place (move across on its mounts and make spacers). Rather than starting a new thread I though I would post here.

The frame need a lot of repair work to correct the mods carried out by a complete dickhead who should never be allowed to weld again. The bike had a GSXR750 lump fitted; 1990 engine which is a great motor which shared the same longer stroke config of the 1st slabbies but wrong for this bike and was in the process of escaping from the chassis due to fore mentioned dickhead. We have made a new tank as guess what the same guy who played with frame also screwed the old tank up. We fitted the new tank and fitted a Suzuki RG screw cap and flange. Yokes are original to the bike as are the Suzuki RG500 Mk8 forks (as rare as....) and so to the original Dymags 16 and 18 rear. Likewise the brakes with are magnesium Brembo callipers, the disc carriers are also magnesium which is unusually as they are normally cast alloy.

We have sourced several cheap motors and have used the best of the parts. The crank has been lightened, tufrided and balanced to stock rods polished and peened and 810cc forged pistons. Oversize valves, big lumpy cams and race springs with titanium collars. The head has been gas flowed seats bored out for new big valves, the tracts have balanced as have the combustion chambers. Compression is just under 12:1 with the head skimmed. Gearbox is standard. Clutch is race kit from Barnett, new chains and manual cam chain tensioner. Carbs are 33mm Keihin CR. I have yet to make the exhaust.

Beautiful stuff. What will it weigh with fluids?

Quote Originally Posted by RSV4 View Post
    Beautiful stuff. What will it weigh with fluids?
    About 320lbs with oils, brake fluid and 5 litres fuel. With rear wheel 105-110HP with the 810cc kit.

In period the bike was a little heavier at about 345lbs. Today with availability of lightweight bodywork, lightweight fasteners and brake fittings, tyres and a few other bits its easy to loose 5-8% of the bikes original weight. Unfortunately humans tend to get heavier.
    Last edited by jalsteve; 09-10-2015 at 10:35 AM.

About 320lbs and 105 - 110 HP with the 810cc kit.
    Remarkable!

Thanks for the reply.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by dirkchecken View Post
    stuff like this deserves its own thread. why not start one in the racing section? bikes are great.
    I don't think there is an appetite on this site for race bikes which I thought was the origin of the caferacer style. If was posting photos of CB750 or Commando or CG125 commuter café or spending 6 years building a Triton it would be different = hero status.

There is some real special stuff in the shop at the moment but I who the fuck is interested in Harris Magnums and F1, Egli's, Manx's, TZ's, TR's. Doing a very special Yamaha FZ with Genesis top end to compete in championship next year and TT2's for the 2016 Manx GP (or whatever its called nowadays). I am doing a GS1000 perhaps that will work for some.

I guess its pertinent to the individual and what you can realistically aspire too, I am not talking money but rather what is available.

jcw
    great bike and parts list and story!
    those look like some beefy forks for that time.
    what an interesting rear shock set up. trying to picture how the bottom mount attaches to the frame.

The frame need a lot of repair work to correct the mods carried out by a complete dickhead who should never be allowed to weld again. The bike had a GSXR750 lump fitted; 1990 engine which is a great motor which shared the same longer stroke config of the 1st slabbies but wrong for this bike and was in the process of escaping from the chassis due to fore mentioned dickhead. We have made a new tank as guess what? The same guy who played with frame also screwed the old tank up. We fitted the new tank with a Suzuki RG screw cap and flange. Yokes are original to the bike as are the Suzuki RG500 Mk8 forks (as rare as....) and so to the original Dymags 16 and 18 rear. Likewise the brakes with are magnesium Brembo callipers, the disc carriers are also magnesium which is unusually as they are normally cast alloy.

The bike was campaigned by Jimmy Wells a British rider in 1984 in World F1 TT alongside the other Harris F1 (white bike) above as part of a 2 rider / bike team sponsored by Harris Performance and Shell oils, the other rider was Asa Moyce. Sadly Jimmy didn't finish the season due to a big off in the Ulster GP which ended his race career, despite missing the last three races he finished 13th in the championship. The bike was then used by another British rider Mark Linscott to win the British Motorcycle Racing Club (Bemsee) Unlimited Championship in 1985.

The bottom of the shock is mounted on the swing arm (underneath) and connected to the rocker at the top. The rocker pivots (almost) centrally on a frame thu shaft. The other side of the arm is linked to the top of the swingarm via the wishbone. Rising rate and quite special in 84.

The forks are pure GP RG500 Suzuki in 40mm, works bikes and later RG got 41mm (see other Harris in white above) the brakes are similar quality.
    Last edited by jalsteve; 09-10-2015 at 04:38 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links