Best thing you've ever purchased off Craigslist - Page 2
Close

Best thing you've ever purchased off Craigslist

This is a discussion on Best thing you've ever purchased off Craigslist within the Craigslist/Ebay forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I actually think that many motorcycles are actually UNDER valued right now....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Best thing you've ever purchased off Craigslist

I actually think that many motorcycles are actually UNDER valued right now.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

xxxxxx
    Last edited by TCed; 02-16-2015 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldTwin View Post
    You could go the Weber IDA3C route and eliminate the CIS...

Tell us more about the car, what year?
    It's a 81 sunroof coup and I'm glad it's a coup. Has 130k. The wheels look like BBS, but are Riken. I actually like looks over the stock wheels and they are period correct, so they won't get in the way when it comes time for collector plates. They only have very minor rash, so will be an easy fix. Plus, decent stock wheels are getting up there. Given these cars are going up in value, there is room for spending money, but I would prefer to keep the budget reasonable. Whether or not they retain their value who knows, but I think they will do ok. They are relatively small, don't take up much space, and in some cases easier to justify than a M/C for some which helps. Normally things don't skyrocket in price until I sell one of them. The webers would be really nice and would be less aggrivation... or I could conjure something up, but will probably keep in stock. I picked up a complete spare CIS system with everything from ECU to injectors. If the motor had turned out to be a mess, (still have to check out tensioners etc etc) I would have considered selling the motor as a core and using the money to finance a Renegade conversion. It's sacrilege, insane, and I wouldn't be allowed to associate with other 911 owners, but I make a good hermit anyway. Avert your eyes if you're a 911 purist.

Name:  Renegade.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  243.2 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I'm planning on going rusefi with two sets of triumph triple throttle bodies on mine. one day.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

[QUOTE=Cyorg;316610]If the motor had turned out to be a mess, (still have to check out tensioners etc etc) I would have considered selling the motor as a core and using the money to finance a Renegade conversion. It's sacrilege, insane, and I wouldn't be allowed to associate with other 911 owners, but I make a good hermit anyway. Avert your eyes if you're a 911 purist.

I'm sure not a purist, in fact I considered doing a Renegade conversion myself, but came to the realization that a good conversion was going to cost about the same as the flat six overhaul. Plus, I already own a bastard hotrod (sbc powered Shelby Cobra replica), so I opted to keep the 911 somewhat original. A buddy of mine had an '85 911 with a 327 and that car ran like a scalded cat.

Your 3.0 with only 130K should need nothing more than a top end at worst if you have any broken head studs. These motors are relatively bulletproof. My motor had more mileage on it and I didn't know it's history so I opted to split the case and do a complete rebuild. Plus, it looked like this when I got it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by raven View Post
    I'm planning on going rusefi with two sets of triumph triple throttle bodies on mine. one day.
    Raven, you can't throw out a statement like that without some additional info and at least one picture. Come on, give up a few details.

Mine wasn't pretty either. There were a lot of pissed off spiders in there, by the time it fired up.

Name:  DSCF0028.JPG
Views: 130
Size:  431.9 KB

Are you planning to drop the motor to fix the oil leaks? You'll likely need to do that to gain reasonable access to the triangle of death forward of the CIS. Also, I highly recommend replacing all of the chain ramps at this point, they're likely very brittle and will cause chains to jump if they break beyond a certain point...not good on an interference motor.

Well I have a mid year Targa with a very ramshackle 2.7 built from junk bits. I was planning to make up little short manifolds and fit ST 1050 throttle bodies (52mm IIRC).

Rusefi: rusEfi

Even though Rusefi isnt quite as polished as the MS series, I like it better because it uses an ARM processor core. I have worked with this processor a good bit. It also has much more potential future development due to using this processor, as well as being cheaper overall. Plus, without getting into a political debate, i truly hate the drama and crap surrounding MS now. Not to mention how bad the licensing agreements are.

Even though my engine has the CIS pistons in it, I would venture to say that swapping to anything without the trapdoor fuel distributor would improve things. Except maybe reliability. A sorted CIS engine will take you around the world and back home again with no grief.

All this is assuming I don't sell the thing.

I will poke around and see if i have some pics of it. I am sure i do someplace. Right now its inside of a shed at my parents.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by OldTwin View Post
    Are you planning to drop the motor to fix the oil leaks? You'll likely need to do that to gain reasonable access to the triangle of death forward of the CIS. Also, I highly recommend replacing all of the chain ramps at this point, they're likely very brittle and will cause chains to jump if they break beyond a certain point...not good on an interference motor.
    Yes, definitely going to drop it. The worst leak is forward of the CIS and I can't stand the thought of contorting myself to get in there (assuming I could do it), plus it needs a lot of lipstick. I was more or less resolved to replacing some of those cam chain bits, but hopefully not much else. Broken studs would be a nuisance. Then I'd have to inspect everything else in there, and who knows what that would lead to. Although things seem reasonably quiet in there now, you're correct, those ramps must be just baked. It doesn't have the later oil fed tensioners and not sure I'll bother putting them on even though it's probably a good idea and a good selling feature. Will just do the collars if they aren't already in there. I have to track down one of those little hydraulic M/C lifts and mod it to drop the engine. I have a large floor jack, but could use a lift anyway. If I can destinkify it enough, I can wheel the engine stand into the basement and work on it in a nice warm room with decent lighting. Learned long ago that things happen faster if they are close by and in a civilized environment. When I first met the bride, I was known to have motorcycles in the living room and bedroom, so she has a reasonably high tolerance for my bad behavior. As long as it doesn't smell bad, it's ok.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links