Cafe Racer Forum banner

1971 rd350 $1200 cl

4K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  monkey 
#1 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

My weekly stroll through CL and I find this RD for $1200. Runs but needs some work.......but clear title currently registered. The riding position would ruin my back for a week however.........I am intrigued by some of the mods. In particular those front brakes. It's about 3 hours from me but my niece lives in the same town so I might have her husband take a peak for me. I've always wanted an old RD but the timing couldn't be worse.

See less See more
#5 ·
the front calipers are airheart go kart calipers.. These were a 70's mod for the rd race bikes. The calipers are still available today. I have one mounted on my 70cc race bike.

View attachment 12653
Just because someone ran one on a go kart does not make them a go kart caliper. They were a very popular motorcycle caliper in 70's. I ran them on my bike in the 70's and they worked quite well (for the 70's)

This post has been deleted
#13 ·
At the time, Yamaha claimed that RD's gained about 4 horses over R5's. I switched my R5 cylinders for RD cylinders, mainly because R5 pistons are hard to find and usually ***** ringed (an obsolescent type). RD pistons are very easy to find from a variety of manufacturers. When I did the conversion, I found that the RD cylinders have an improved idle and cleaner midrange, but not a huge power advantage. Other than pistons & brakes, most R5 & RD parts are interchangeable and easily found new and used.

Jim B

#8 ·
You can swap out the 5 speed for a 6 speed fairly easily. Beyond that, the reed valve difference over the piston port is negligible on the street. Both can be made fast as shit. I know there is a lot more after market available for the RD though.

What im saying...for the price I would get it and if you wanted to do a disk upgrade and tranny upgrade you could easily. That bike is very cheap if everything checks out on it.

Edit: Obviously already has disks...but if you wanted to put a single side RD on you could.

#10 ·
Just talked to him and he said everything works......registered til Sept this year........and it needs air filters and a couple other items. He said it runs well just bogs when you Crack open the throttle. He's getting quite a few calls so my distance away limits my chances. I am going to try for Wednesday or thursday.

#11 ·
<-- proper jealous! Went to go check out an rd350 the other day down here. Dude wants $2500 and it doesnt idle. JUST NEEDS CARB CLEANING. Then clean the carbs, or drop price. I offered him $1500. He got insulted. Called him out on the old cables, tires and crap "maintenance items, not my problem and wouldnt drop the price cause of that".... Fucking florida fail.

#18 ·
I've owned a 1972 R5c, Madarin Orange, and a 1973 RD 350. The RD was a bit quicker off the line and had a better top end. I loved em both and I wish the hell I still had the RD. It was decked out with rear sets, a 60s era full race fairing, fiberglass seat and tank and (choke) clubmans. I wish the hell I still had it. I would snatch that up in a heart beat if I could at that price!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.