1971 rd350 $1200 cl
Close

1971 rd350 $1200 cl

This is a discussion on 1971 rd350 $1200 cl within the Craigslist/Ebay forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; My weekly stroll through CL and I find this RD for $1200. Runs but needs some work.......but clear title currently registered. The riding position would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 1971 rd350 $1200 cl

1971 rd350 $1200 cl

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  78.4 KB

My weekly stroll through CL and I find this RD for $1200. Runs but needs some work.......but clear title currently registered. The riding position would ruin my back for a week however.........I am intrigued by some of the mods. In particular those front brakes. It's about 3 hours from me but my niece lives in the same town so I might have her husband take a peak for me. I've always wanted an old RD but the timing couldn't be worse.

the front calipers are airheart go kart calipers.. These were a 70's mod for the rd race bikes. The calipers are still available today. I have one mounted on my 70cc race bike.

Name:  IMG_3180.JPG
Views: 320
Size:  178.9 KB
    knappyfeet, CaTacL1sm and YucA like this.
    latered

I think that's a piston port R5. Reed valve RD350's were introduced in '72. Further differences are the R5 5 speed gearbox vs. the RD's 6 cog box, and front drum brakes on R5's as shipped. That bike looks like a good value for $1200.

Jim b

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dirkchecken View Post
    yeah, seen people get less for more $
    That's how I feel......especially when you consider the chambers, Akront rims and the go cart brakes. Those brakes make it scream 70s. Also tags and currently registered? The add says it needs plugs and a tuneup but that might be a small price to pay for all the positives.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    the front calipers are airheart go kart calipers.. These were a 70's mod for the rd race bikes. The calipers are still available today. I have one mounted on my 70cc race bike.

Name:  IMG_3180.JPG
Views: 320
Size:  178.9 KB
    Just because someone ran one on a go kart does not make them a go kart caliper. They were a very popular motorcycle caliper in 70's. I ran them on my bike in the 70's and they worked quite well (for the 70's)
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    Just because someone ran one on a go kart does not make them a go kart caliper. They were a very popular motorcycle caliper in 70's. I ran them on my bike in the 70's and they worked quite well (for the 70's)
    Are you sure? those are the small airheart calipers not the bigger ones that were similar to the Grimecas of the era.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

It's an R5. O.K., but not anywhere near as good as an RD with reed valves.

Danger, is my business.

You can swap out the 5 speed for a 6 speed fairly easily. Beyond that, the reed valve difference over the piston port is negligible on the street. Both can be made fast as shit. I know there is a lot more after market available for the RD though.

What im saying...for the price I would get it and if you wanted to do a disk upgrade and tranny upgrade you could easily. That bike is very cheap if everything checks out on it.

Edit: Obviously already has disks...but if you wanted to put a single side RD on you could.

Quote Originally Posted by Joep7 View Post
    You can swap out the 5 speed for a 6 speed fairly easily. Beyond that, the reed valve difference over the piston port is negligible on the street. Both can be made fast as shit. I know there is a lot more after market available for the RD though.

What im saying...for the price I would get it and if you wanted to do a disk upgrade and tranny upgrade you could easily. That bike is very cheap if everything checks out on it.

Edit: Obviously already has disks...but if you wanted to put a single side RD on you could.
    Yeah we're in kinda communication right now......sending texts back and forth but now since it's lunch I'm going to call.

Just talked to him and he said everything works......registered til Sept this year........and it needs air filters and a couple other items. He said it runs well just bogs when you Crack open the throttle. He's getting quite a few calls so my distance away limits my chances. I am going to try for Wednesday or thursday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links