these look tempting - Page 2
Close

these look tempting

This is a discussion on these look tempting within the Craigslist/Ebay forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I agree.......the current "cut em up cafe" crowd would pass these up for a brat, flash rusted, race number 1, big wheeled, cb350 that would ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: these look tempting

I agree.......the current "cut em up cafe" crowd would pass these up for a brat, flash rusted, race number 1, big wheeled, cb350 that would be unsafe to ride.

If you get replicas of exhaust and such you could do it for less however...........if I could find an authentic Dunstall exhaust I'm sure it would need chrome plating and repairing and if not it would be well over $1000. If you went NOS exhaust....well you know.....at least $1500. I would guesstimate that rebuilding original shocks with the chrome plating and finishing would be $500. Even a good pair of Yss would be over $500 (something that looked period race). I like Yss.

By the condition of these machines I would say that the stanchions are so pitted in that specific spot I could probably break them over my knee. So that cost, springs, seals, boots, etc, etc..........I can easily see $2500 if not more.

And I don't feel polishing tubes and such give it that original appearance. But I know it is about the best I could do if not sourcing NOS which would be another raping.

I am not a professional restorer but I have been humped by professional restoring. Just my thoughts and math.

That stuff is fugly
    latered

Quote Originally Posted by Witworth View Post

It's strange that these two are period correct and the current café racer clowns would walk straight past them to gawp at a Bratty CB350 in patina, brown and brass.
    This is why I think the new "custom" bikes need their own name instead of trading off of caferacers or the brat style of one custom house in japan whose bikes look nothing like whatever the hell is called "brat" these days. I think someone suggested "mobster" and that name blows too.

I used to suggest "Sport Chopper" which I thought was pretty accurate, but in true douchebag form I think that was rejected because it ties them back to easter egg style OCC choppers.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    That stuff is fugly
    Tastes change, and lets face it people just don't take recreational drugs and do stuff anymore. Either they stopped taking drugs or the drugs got so much better that all people who take them want to do is sit on the couch and watch a 13 hour marathon of breaking bad.
    monkey likes this.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Those fairings are huge !

Quote Originally Posted by TCed View Post
    Those fairings are huge !
    Yea they are huge. I bet the windshield would be another $300 but I might be wrong. So I'm right up at near $3000 and it's still "fugly?"

Like I said to do these correctly would be $.

this one I'm really drooling over. Good thing I not in the states right now
    Kawasaki Other | eBay

I can speak to the cost of building / restoring a Dunstall Honda today. Yes it was expensive but not what has been stated here. There are still nos Dunstall parts around as they were expensive in the 70s and not that popular. The Dunstall name trumped the popularity of the actual bikes. It still does today. Some see original Dunstall and think $$$$ but in reality the stuff was built for a niche market in the 70s and it is traded in an even smaller niche market today. As was stated the Dunstall parts look too big for the bike today. The Dunstall Honda does not photograph well. It looks much better and more balanced in person than in pictures. The fairing is not actually huge but fits the width of the motor and provides nice protection for the rider. That's the other part of Dunstall that is misunderstood today; these were built as street bikes not race bikes. A large fairing / windscreen provides nice protection for a rider from wind. The Dunstall Honda isn't for everyone. There were racier options for converting a CB750 like Rickman, Seeley, and Bimota. But if the Dunstall Honda speaks to you then its appeal is instantaneous.

Here's mine
    Name:  HPIM3111.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  191.9 KB

And with a rider the fairing doesn't look so huge
    Name:  Dunstall.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  203.7 KB

Scott

Yellow is hot!
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Thanks Scott, that information is excellent.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links