1982 GS750 Cafe Racer for sale questions. Found on craigslist
Close

1982 GS750 Cafe Racer for sale questions. Found on craigslist

This is a discussion on 1982 GS750 Cafe Racer for sale questions. Found on craigslist within the Craigslist/Ebay forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello, I am a beginning rider, firgured I'd address that first and foremost. I have always enjoyed the style of bikes that are Cafe Racers. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 1982 GS750 Cafe Racer for sale questions. Found on craigslist

Hello,

I am a beginning rider, firgured I'd address that first and foremost. I have always enjoyed the style of bikes that are Cafe Racers. I recently stumbled upon this Cafe Racer on craigslist and went to look at it. I took some photos of it (which I will be posting) however, I had a few general questions about these bikes.

1: I am currently in the Navy and stationed in San Diego. I would like a bike that is able to tour distances of around 400 miles (to San Francisco) if at all possible. It would not be on a regular basis, just maybe once a year. The owner said he was unaware if these bikes were good for such, because they have no wind block and are older bikes.

2: The bike in question only has a tachometer. IS this bike even California street legel with no speedometer? It does not have a speedometer or mileage counter. The engine was recently rebuilt and I took it down to a motorcycle shop to have them certify it was in good condition. Found a few problems with it and they fixed it. (he paid).

CONS: The bike itself is in OK condition. It has a little rust here and there and some small scrapes on the bottom edges of the frame (looks as if he just tilted the bike - not laied it down and not any serious damages). The inside of the gas tank has a little rust, however it is not flaking off and the shop said that is not a problem unless it begins flaking. The bike seat is missing the tail 90 degree bar under the back of the seat. It was cut off apparently. I can weld a new one back on, and shouldn't be a problem, however would need to be done in order to put the brat seat I want on it. You can see it in this photo:

Name:  01212_4kDU2L8NB8s_600x450.jpg
Views: 2931
Size:  46.8 KB

He is asking $3500 for it. However given the pros and cons I mentioned above, I am questioning if this is a reasonable price for this bike? Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Below are photos of the bike and a video of the startup. Please let me know if you notice any problems.

Name:  IMAG1601.jpg
Views: 18201
Size:  2.74 MBName:  IMAG1599.jpg
Views: 13790
Size:  2.76 MBName:  IMAG1600.jpg
Views: 2248
Size:  1.94 MB

Thank you for any help and advice on this bike.

-David
    Last edited by DavidMann1987; 06-26-2015 at 10:06 PM.

Considering you can get something like this:

for the asking price of 2800 canadian dollars, which is worth about 25% less then US money, the price is outrageous.

I assume he is also selling it uncertified if you have to ask if a speedometer is required to pass certification.
    … 9 out of 10 bikes are sold as uncertified because they can't get it certified.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 06-26-2015 at 10:12 PM.

nice offensive exhaust. looks like shit, sounds like shit.

look around at what else you can buy for that money, and you'll realise how much it's lacking in all those facets that make motorcycles desirable.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by brad black View Post
    nice offensive exhaust. looks like shit, sounds like shit.

look around at what else you can buy for that money, and you'll realize how much it's lacking in all those facets that make motorcycles desirable.

Ok, good to know. However if I were to purchase this and just change the exhaust myself, how much do you think would be reasonable to talk him down to on it?

That bike, NO. I could write a list. 3.5K, no way. Run away. 2K, no way. Run away.

Forget a brat or cafe seat to ride 400 miles. Pain is only pleasure when there's a safety word or in trashy novel.

Get a Suzuki GS500E or SV650, and enjoy yourself instead. Buy expensive riding gear, boots, gloves and helmet. Stay operational. ATGATT.

Danger, is my business."

Run and don't look back

Gs 750s are normally great tourers. I rode my 1977 all over hells half acre. That being said, the one you looked at is some dudes poorly built hacked up Sunday rider. "Doesn't know if it would be a good tourer because it doesn't have a windscreen" was your cue to end the conversation and walk away. Seriously he basically told you with that that he never rode it further than the nearest Starbucks.

Also so they way he has it setup isn't comfy for 5 minutes let alone 400 miles.

The lesson? Don't buy someone else's hacked up and overpriced hipster bait.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Just find yourself a nice, stock GSX1100G. Its much more modern, but has the traditional big round headlight. Because of the shaft drive it is much less popular than the Bandit, and better for touring to boot.

You don't need a speedo for California inspection. There is no inspection, ever.

Or this Bandit - 02 Bandit 1200 (Blue)

Or this KZ1000 - 1980 Kawasaki KZ1000

Or this GS1100e - 1982 SUZUKI 1100 ES

Or this GS1100 - 1982 Suzuki gs1100

Or this - 1979 Suzuki GS 850

Or this - Suzuki GS850 GS 850 runs great

Or this - Suzuki GS850G

Or just by an ex-police Kawasaki KZ1000 and take off the fairing - ! KAWASAKI KZ1000-P ! $1950.00 !
    Whitworth - The whole Western World economy runs on total lies and BS: I'm a part of the action.

I always cringe when I hear the GS 750 being built to cafe racer spec. I hear it so much lately it makes me regret selling my 78 GS750E. But then I remember riding it and how BIG it was and how HEAVY it was and I try and relate that into what I think are acceptable bikes for a cafe and this bike is just not on the list. It made a good Sport Tourer or it's potential is on wide open roads (think Superbike) .
    Last edited by o1marc; 06-27-2015 at 07:10 PM.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    I always cringe when I here the GS 750 being built to cafe racer spec. I here it so much lately it makes me regret selling my 78 GS750E. But then I remember riding it and how BIG it was and how HEAVY it was and I try and relate that into what I think are acceptable bikes for a cafe and this bike is just not on the list. It made a good Sport Tourer or it's potential is on wide open roads (think Superbike) .
    Is that here, or hear?
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links