Looking at a Triumph T120R - Page 2
Close

Looking at a Triumph T120R

This is a discussion on Looking at a Triumph T120R within the Craigslist/Ebay forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Title is all in order. Thanks for all the suggestions. No matter how small or insignificant. I'm learning. Did not know the Meriden triumphs were ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Looking at a Triumph T120R

jcw
    Title is all in order.

Thanks for all the suggestions. No matter how small or insignificant. I'm learning.

Did not know the Meriden triumphs were that much more coveted.
    I posted a neglected 76 t140 here I was looking at ($500 sans title) and knew a little about the history, but did not know the older ones commanded that much a premium.

My cousin is late 40's. I'm in my mid 40's. Just for reference...

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    Sorry the link didn't work for some. I'll check it again.
    $5400 I think was the asking price.
    link worked fine, saw no mention of price anywhere on the listing.
    $5400 is not out of line for that bike.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Yeah, price is definitely not bad, I was under the impression it was a young kid looking for something to learn to ride on, not a grown up with some sense, haha.
    It ain't easy bein' fat and greasy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Pre OIF's are easily double that price in the UK, even ratty ones

jcw
    I can understand why the whole hipster café racer thing is so attractive after seeing the '69 Bonneville. It's a very pretty bike. I mean that in not a degrading way.

Anyway, it was fun going over the bike with the owner and his dad who also had a '67 T120TT racer, '67 T120, a couple NSR50's, a 3/4 midget car, and some car under a cover that I didn't even get around to asking about. Unfortunately, in the end, they were only $400 apart in price but my cousin wouldn't/couldn't budge.

He must be cut from a different cloth than me because I would have happily been to the ATM in a heartbeat and then regretted it later. Alas, I do not have almost $6K for a new bike in the budget at the moment.

Last edited by jcw; 01-17-2016 at 02:29 PM.

I can understand why the whole hipster café racer thing is so attractive after seeing the '69 Bonneville. It's a very pretty bike. I mean that in not a degrading way.

Anyway, it was fun going over the bike with the owner and his dad who also had a '67 T120TT racer, '67 T120, a couple NSR50's, a 3/4 midget car, and some car under a cover that I didn't even get around to asking about. Unfortunately, in the end, they were only $400 apart in price but my cousin wouldn't/couldn't budge.

He must be cut from a different cloth than me because I would have happily been to the ATM in a heartbeat and then regretted it later. Alas, I do not have almost $6K for a new bike in the budget at the moment.

Except you rarely see hipsters building cafes from Triumphs. The first thing that is usually done to a Triumph is a hard tail is installed, which completely takes away any comfort or superior handling. Seller was asking $5400 and your cousin would't budge off $5K?, Ya, probably a mistake, you won't find better for the money and anything selling for less will surely need at least $400 in cleaning up.
    Last edited by o1marc; 01-17-2016 at 02:48 PM.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

jcw
    Live and learn, i guess.
    Some triumph enthusiast will surely snap it up. Particularly when it gets warmer.

My cousin isn't stupid though. He's done his homework and knew that the bike was missing the horn just from the pics. And knew what a horn costs for that bike. This bike and the '73 1/2 BMW R75/5 LWB are the two bikes he's been holding out for for about 3 years now.

But ohhhhh mannnn that tank was damn sweet. Original paint. Clean as snot on the inside.

Live and learn, i guess.
    Some triumph enthusiast will surely snap it up. Particularly when it gets warmer.

My cousin isn't stupid though. He's done his homework and knew that the bike was missing the horn just from the pics. And knew what a horn costs for that bike. This bike and the '73 1/2 BMW R75/5 LWB are the two bikes he's been holding out for for about 3 years now.

But ohhhhh mannnn that tank was damn sweet. Original paint. Clean as snot on the inside.
    Your cousin may not be stupid, but.... if he's been holding out for 3 years and hasn't found what he likes in his price range, he's going to be sorely missing out. He turned it down over the cost of a $30 horn, really? The bikes and parts are not getting any cheaper at all. If he's looking for a clean, original, all stock, everything there for less than $6K he will never own one. And that would be something HE will miss out on.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

jcw
    Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    Your cousin may not be stupid, but.... if he's been holding out for 3 years and hasn't found what he likes in his price range, he's going to be sorely missing out. He turned it down over the cost of a $30 horn, really? The bikes and parts are not getting any cheaper at all. If he's looking for a clean, original, all stock, everything there for less than $6K he will never own one. And that would be something HE will miss out on.
    I'll be sure to let him know you disapprove...

I'll be sure to let him know you disapprove...
    His loss not mine, I'm already over it, as probably he is.
    I have mine and I'm not letting it go.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links