Which one to get? - Page 2
Close

Which one to get?

This is a discussion on Which one to get? within the Craigslist/Ebay forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by ardew Hello all. I appreciate any advice in advance. I have my mind set on getting a cb550 / cb360 / cb750 ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Which one to get?

Quote Originally Posted by ardew View Post
    Hello all.

I appreciate any advice in advance.

I have my mind set on getting a cb550 / cb360 / cb750 just not sure if I should go with a stockish bike and work from there or just pick up one that already has the work done.
    I've always done maintenance on my cars (nothing crazy but i know what a wrench is) I also have friends that know their way around a bike.
    These two caught my eye.

1976 CB360

1981 CB750 cafe racer

Thoughts?
    I think you should go stick to cars and forget bikes. You already made up your mind about getting a specific bike (oddly you picked 3 that do completely different jobs) and then went and searched out 3 of possibly the worst examples of those bikes, and no amount of sensible conversation is going to make you make a sensible choice. Therefore you should just forget it all together and go buy a classic car you can drive your wife and kid around in on the weekends.

Where on Long Island are you. Jaguar and I are both from there.

If you are willing to consider something else, something more modern, then let us know and we'll have a more open discussion.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by ardew View Post
    Im tempted to go that route, but i could never flat foot on the SV.
    I guess i could have lowered it.
    Are you a dwarf?

Sorry, I mean vertically challenged? #PC

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Why does everybody insist on putting both feet flat on the ground while on a motorcycle?
    You only need to be able to lean to one side and keep the other foot on a peg. You think anybody can flat foot a BMW 1200GS-A? Not many, I assure you. I actually lifted my bike for more ground clearance, and I'm barely able to tippy-toe both feet at the same time.
    If you're doing it right, you hardly ever have to put your feet down anyway. But then again, living in New York might prove to be the opposite where you spend more time stopped than rolling anyway....
    But yeah. Sv650 is the perfect bike for you, and everybody else. They're awesome. Get Tannermatic to make you some neat fiberglass bodywork to make it look like a 70's Ducati race bike.
    Andyshep and ardew like this.
    It ain't easy bein' fat and greasy.

Oh and in relation to the actual post, buy a SV650S, I had one as a first "big bike" (CC not size) only sold it when I moved up to my old blade and bought another as a winter hack that was a bit beaten up and not running right, when my first car decided to set itself on fire. I then sold that for a profit (amazing what a bit of knowledge and loads of carb cleaner can do) but I'd have another to pootle around on if I had the storage space.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Something that is light-weight, has nice wide handlebars, standard ergonomics, one or at most two cylinders so that it is easy to work on and throw around in heavy traffic and it has never been modified or is missing parts just for the fun of it. For it to cost less then 3 grand you need to find a motorcycle that has been ridden very little, stored in a climate controlled garage and the original owner died of natural causes so his widow is now selling his old but loved and cared for motorcycle, but she has no idea what they are worth. and no I'm not kidding or being a smart ass, this is the honest truth.
    makes sense, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyshep View Post
    Sorry, I mean vertically challenged? #PC
    lol
    5'7 so yeah.
    Andyshep likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    I think you should go stick to cars and forget bikes. You already made up your mind about getting a specific bike (oddly you picked 3 that do completely different jobs) and then went and searched out 3 of possibly the worst examples of those bikes, and no amount of sensible conversation is going to make you make a sensible choice. Therefore you should just forget it all together and go buy a classic car you can drive your wife and kid around in on the weekends.

Where on Long Island are you. Jaguar and I are both from there.

If you are willing to consider something else, something more modern, then let us know and we'll have a more open discussion.
    I'm definitely willing to consider something else, i just always like the naked bike look and the cafe racer bikes.
    I'm out in nassau LI

Any and all comments and suggestions are appreciated.

5'7"? Honda Grom?

Not kidding by the way

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links