Which one to get?
Close

Which one to get?

This is a discussion on Which one to get? within the Craigslist/Ebay forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello all. I appreciate any advice in advance. I have my mind set on getting a cb550 / cb360 / cb750 just not sure if ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Which one to get?

  1. #1
    Junior Member ardew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    17

    Which one to get?

    Hello all.

    I appreciate any advice in advance.

    I have my mind set on getting a cb550 / cb360 / cb750 just not sure if I should go with a stockish bike and work from there or just pick up one that already has the work done.
    I've always done maintenance on my cars (nothing crazy but i know what a wrench is) I also have friends that know their way around a bike.
    These two caught my eye.

    1976 CB360

    1981 CB750 cafe racer

    Thoughts?

    Thanks again.

  2. #2
    Senior Member jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    10,437
    Buy another SV and just go ride a bit....
    thechief86 likes this.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch


    Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

  3. #3
    Senior Member Stephen J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    1,147
    Don't think that question is answerable. Things like your -Budget-Riding Experience-Expectations etc all play into what you should buy. Personally I don't like either of your choices.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member drgonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rome, GA, USA.
    Posts
    1,241
    Hold out for a nice, stock CB550. Put better suspension, sticky tires, braided brake line with good pads and some superbike bars on it. Ride the snot out of it.
    cafe (racer) society (archive): Peter Egan on the Honda 550

  6. #5
    Junior Member ardew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    17
    Im tempted to go that route, but i could never flat foot on the SV.
    I guess i could have lowered it.
    SchyffS likes this.

  7. #6
    Junior Member ardew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen J View Post
    Don't think that question is answerable. Things like your -Budget-Riding Experience-Expectations etc all play into what you should buy. Personally I don't like either of your choices.
    You're right.
    I wasnt looking to spend more that 3000
    I have about 50-70 miles under my belt.
    This would just be a commute bike and something to get around town.

    Any ideas what I should look at?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
    Hold out for a nice, stock CB550. Put better suspension, sticky tires, braided brake line with good pads and some superbike bars on it. Ride the snot out of it.
    cafe (racer) society (archive): Peter Egan on the Honda 550
    I like it.
    Thank you.
    drgonzo likes this.

  8. #7
    Senior Member drgonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rome, GA, USA.
    Posts
    1,241

  9. #8
    Senior Member jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    10,437
    Don't get an old bike.
    Do NOT get a project bike or something to modify.

    Go buy a Royal Enfield or used triumph.
    drgonzo, DohcBikes and woodsman like this.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch


    Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

  10. #9
    Senior Member TrialsRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,382
    Quote Originally Posted by ardew View Post
    You're right.
    I wasnt looking to spend more that 3000
    I have about 50-70 miles under my belt.
    This would just be a commute bike and something to get around town.

    Any ideas what I should look at?
    ....
    Something that is light-weight, has nice wide handlebars, standard ergonomics, one or at most two cylinders so that it is easy to work on and throw around in heavy traffic and it has never been modified or is missing parts just for the fun of it. For it to cost less then 3 grand you need to find a motorcycle that has been ridden very little, stored in a climate controlled garage and the original owner died of natural causes so his widow is now selling his old but loved and cared for motorcycle, but she has no idea what they are worth. and no I'm not kidding or being a smart ass, this is the honest truth.
    drgonzo likes this.

  11. #10
    Senior Member drgonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rome, GA, USA.
    Posts
    1,241
    Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Something that is light-weight, has nice wide handlebars, standard ergonomics, one or at most two cylinders so that it is easy to work on and throw around in heavy traffic and it has never been modified or is missing parts just for the fun of it. For it to cost less then 3 grand you need to find a motorcycle that has been ridden very little, stored in a climate controlled garage and the original owner died of natural causes so his widow is now selling his old but loved and cared for motorcycle, but she has no idea what they are worth. and no I'm not kidding or being a smart ass, this is the honest truth.
    That has XS650 all over it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •