Going for a new build, thoughts on this CB450? - Page 2
Close

Going for a new build, thoughts on this CB450?

This is a discussion on Going for a new build, thoughts on this CB450? within the Craigslist/Ebay forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by Geeto67 run the fucking opposite direction from this. unless he is paying you $600 to take it. Then part it out and ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Going for a new build, thoughts on this CB450?

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    run the fucking opposite direction from this. unless he is paying you $600 to take it. Then part it out and use the money to buy something else.
    Haha thank you! What are the big red flags on that one?

It's starting to look like Craigslist is gonna be filled with only shit, any recommendations on the best way to hunt for a decent CB I could cafe out?

I am going to say for someone looking for a 450 to make into a race bike that can weld and undo some of the po's mistakes with the frame, it might be a good deal (not great, just good), but for you it probably isn't.
    is that something the 450 is commonly used for?
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by CaTacL1sm View Post
    is that something the 450 is commonly used for?
    It used to be. I don't know who is still running the cb450. I think they ran Production Lightweight. For AHRMA I think the year cutoff was 1972.

Team Hansen sold performance parts like high compression pistons and oilers and such. Maybe they still do? their website is still up.

here is someone's old racing cb450 that was for sale in 2014:
    CL450 Vintage Race Bike Package
    he says he raced it around 2010-2012 which is about when I remember seeing them.

There used to be an off the shelf "cafe racer kit" sold by Omar's Dirt Track racing that Phil Little designed. The new company, Omar's fiberglass, still sells the tank and seat but they are meant to bolt on to a stock frame.
    http://www.omarsfiberglass.com/clubman
    I think the other parts from the old kit were Raask Rearsets, Emgo fairing, and flanders clubman bars.
    Name:  Honda450_back_front.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  221.0 KB
    Last edited by Geeto67; 11-01-2016 at 03:09 PM.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RJordan09 View Post
    Well for starters hondas of that era have some electrical problems to begin with, but if all the lights aren't working then the harness has been hacked to shit. The cut frame in the back is a big no no on the supersports as well. Everything on that bike just seems to be a mess, the headliight mounts are off indicating an accident, the bars are just...well fuck it, none of the cables seem to be routed properly....I mean it just screams "I was manhandled by someone with no clue". If I actually inspected it I could probably find more wrong with it.

It's starting to look like Craigslist is gonna be filled with only shit, any recommendations on the best way to hunt for a decent CB I could cafe out?
    you can start by not looking for only the things below $1500. Also it is better if you figure out what you want first, and then find the bike to match that. I'm pretty sure you have this vague idea in your head what a "cafe racer" is and I am also pretty sure if you told me what it was I would find it hilariously wrong so....maybe start by asking some real questions and dial in what you really want with the bike?
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by RJordan09 View Post

It's been butchered.

This is going sound morbid, but I had a good friend who was extremely successful at buying used motorcycles at terrific deals. He located all the old guys with motorcycles that he could and then watched the obituaries until he seen them show up there, then he went and cut a deal with their widows for all the old motorcycles and bits.
    ... he's dead now :| I wonder what happened to his 1952 Indian.

That Omar's is a great looking 450 kit.

I was also going to point out that the shocks on the first pic look like about 4" too short, suspension travel is a must, don't get lured into the low stance look from online pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omar's used to have the best adjustable laverda clubman bars ever. I wish I had kept the set I had bought years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

Both those bikes look to me like someone has done a hack job. "Shortened and lowered" appears to mean structurally compromised and suspension ruined. The 900F is just a shame, probably started out a good donor for a vintage superbike before the grinder butcher got at it. I'd keep looking. If you're not far from the Canadian border you can buy a lot cheaper in Canada. Here's a 900F, 17,000 miles, $1,150US that looks in good shape. HONDA CB 900F 1981 | routières sportives | Ouest de l?Île | Kijiji

Well for starters hondas of that era have some electrical problems to begin with, but if all the lights aren't working then the harness has been hacked to shit. The cut frame in the back is a big no no on the supersports as well. Everything on that bike just seems to be a mess, the headliight mounts are off indicating an accident, the bars are just...well fuck it, none of the cables seem to be routed properly....I mean it just screams "I was manhandled by someone with no clue". If I actually inspected it I could probably find more wrong with it.

you can start by not looking for only the things below $1500. Also it is better if you figure out what you want first, and then find the bike to match that. I'm pretty sure you have this vague idea in your head what a "cafe racer" is and I am also pretty sure if you told me what it was I would find it hilariously wrong so....maybe start by asking some real questions and dial in what you really want with the bike?
    As a senior member of this forum I would expect you of all people would appreciate the value of not being a massive fucking dick to people who are obviously beginning to look into joining a community you clearly care quite a bit for (22k posts..) I'm sure there are probably some really good educational posts that have been hashed out here over the years, and instead of suggesting a link, you insult me?? Or are you trying to show me the origins of the culture by acting like one of the flippant kids who'd race from cafe to cafe back in the 70's? If so, here's the thing....we were kids then. It was 40 years ago, some of us had to take a break to have careers and families. So when I come back to something I used to love, and am looking into some of the older bikes I used to ride, people like you make me shake my head. Some people never realize that maturity is a common courtesy I suppose.

I'll find another forum.
    DohcBikes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    Both those bikes look to me like someone has done a hack job. "Shortened and lowered" appears to mean structurally compromised and suspension ruined. The 900F is just a shame, probably started out a good donor for a vintage superbike before the grinder butcher got at it. I'd keep looking. If you're not far from the Canadian border you can buy a lot cheaper in Canada. Here's a 900F, 17,000 miles, $1,150US that looks in good shape. HONDA CB 900F 1981 | routières sportives | Ouest de l?Île | Kijiji
    Thank You woodsman, that is incredibly helpful! You are an ideal member of this community.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links