Going for a new build, thoughts on this CB450? - Page 3
Close

Going for a new build, thoughts on this CB450?

This is a discussion on Going for a new build, thoughts on this CB450? within the Craigslist/Ebay forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by RJordan09 As a senior member of this forum I would expect you of all people would appreciate the value of not being ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Going for a new build, thoughts on this CB450?

Quote Originally Posted by RJordan09 View Post
    As a senior member of this forum I would expect you of all people would appreciate the value of not being a massive fucking dick to people who are obviously beginning to look into joining a community you clearly care quite a bit for (22k posts..)
    And as an internet user, I would expect at least a modicum of understanding that humor is a thing that exists and maybe some restraint if you don't always get the joke. As a fourm user I would expect you to also have thicker skin.

I'm sure there are probably some really good educational posts that have been hashed out here over the years, and instead of suggesting a link, you insult me??
    yes I cracked a joke at your expense in the hopes to get you to think about a different approach to your problem and foster you to ask different questions other than "what do you think about this pile o crap" since those types of posts tend to be counter productive. However, after this little soak your drawers rant I am beginning to think that maybe even therapy wouldn't solve your problems.

Or are you trying to show me the origins of the culture by acting like one of the flippant kids who'd race from cafe to cafe back in the 70's?
    I think you meant the 50's. By the 70's they were already into superbikes, hairy vaginas, and beating sissy's with a spanner

If so, here's the thing....we were kids then. It was 40 years ago, some of us had to take a break to have careers and families. So when I come back to something I used to love, and am looking into some of the older bikes I used to ride, people like you make me shake my head. Some people never realize that maturity is a common courtesy I suppose.
    So here is the thing....take a different approach than just shot gunning everything cheap on CL under the delusion that "anything can be a cafe racer" and you know maybe try and ask some questions and try to understand the real nature of the hobby which you are looking to get "back" into. Maybe put some effort into telling people what you want so they can tell you what to look for and where.

I'll find another forum.
    Please do so. I would suggest Dotheton.com but I doubt they would put up with your crap either. They may be the home for all the "look at how cool my upsidedown bars are" people but even they have standards.

I say Good day sir!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

As a senior member of this forum I would expect you of all people would appreciate the value of not being a massive fucking dick to people who are obviously beginning to look into joining a community you clearly care quite a bit for (22k posts..) I'm sure there are probably some really good educational posts that have been hashed out here over the years, and instead of suggesting a link, you insult me?? Or are you trying to show me the origins of the culture by acting like one of the flippant kids who'd race from cafe to cafe back in the 70's? If so, here's the thing....we were kids then. It was 40 years ago, some of us had to take a break to have careers and families. So when I come back to something I used to love, and am looking into some of the older bikes I used to ride, people like you make me shake my head. Some people never realize that maturity is a common courtesy I suppose.

I'll find another forum.
    Actually Geeto is really gentle here........ maybe he's getting kinder as he's aging.

If you can't take that response you probably need to find a nicer place like Catholic.org.

I actually like the old 450 and considering what things are going for.........??? To us older guys we can remember titled, running piles for $250 that you could buy and ride to Vegas with. But now things are pricier no doubt. Question is.........if you want to make that look really pretty and functional.....are you ready to be into it for 5K? It's always better to start off with something running and titled and rideable than someone else's pile of screwed up crap.

Good luck

Thank You woodsman, that is incredibly helpful! You are an ideal member of this community.
    Glad it was helpful.

Don't be to quick to dismiss the input of others here whether they are pleasant or not. Geeto's sense of humour is not for everyone but his advice is sound. If you hang in there you will see how many Pileocrap bikes are presented here by guys wanting to "build a cafe" or because "they like the style" or they want the "lifestyle" or they want praise for some mess they have made. It does wear thin. Most of the regular participants on this forum work on the basic premise that a bike should perform better with the work done to it. If you want to buy a decent functioning bike and improve it's drive-ability or performance you'll receive great input, if you are planning an art project then this is the wrong site.
    TrialsRider likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Stuff is worth what people are prepared to pay unfortunately.
    The 80's UK CB250/400 with the same shape tank as the that Canadian 900 are fetching £900 non running and £1500 running in poor condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Alex jb View Post
    Stuff is worth what people are prepared to pay unfortunately.
    The 80's UK CB250/400 with the same shape tank as the that Canadian 900 are fetching £900 non running and £1500 running in poor condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can buy a good CB400 here for under $1000US. '81, 14,000 miles, $750US, running, titled Honda cb400t motorcycle | street, cruisers, choppers | Ottawa | Kijiji

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    It's been butchered.

This is going sound morbid, but I had a good friend who was extremely successful at buying used motorcycles at terrific deals. He located all the old guys with motorcycles that he could and then watched the obituaries until he seen them show up there, then he went and cut a deal with their widows for all the old motorcycles and bits.
    ... he's dead now :| I wonder what happened to his 1952 Indian.
    So where does his wife live?
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

As a senior member of this forum I would expect you of all people would appreciate the value of not being a massive fucking dick to people who are obviously beginning to look into joining a community you clearly care quite a bit for (22k posts..) I'm sure there are probably some really good educational posts that have been hashed out here over the years, and instead of suggesting a link, you insult me?? Or are you trying to show me the origins of the culture by acting like one of the flippant kids who'd race from cafe to cafe back in the 70's? If so, here's the thing....we were kids then. It was 40 years ago, some of us had to take a break to have careers and families. So when I come back to something I used to love, and am looking into some of the older bikes I used to ride, people like you make me shake my head. Some people never realize that maturity is a common courtesy I suppose.

I'll find another forum.
    Well bud put'r back on the side stand and chill out a sec. You asked questions, you got answers. If I were to venture a guess I'd say you didn't spend to much time browsing the site before diving in. If you had you would have seen it coming. You got the idea you'd like to turn a wrench and get a bike on the road and that's not a bad thing. Re group, think what your end game is and start again and fer fuck sake thicken the hide a bit. This was nothing compared to how it can be. BTW I'd start with a runner that's ride-able and use the smarts here to keep improving it over time. That's definitely the most fun IMO. But if yer all but hurt and wanna storm off well cheers.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Sadly they were separated, he moved to B.C. and his heirs stayed in Ontario with no use or interest in motorcycles, so I don't have an inside track on that one. It's probably long gone.

Besides, I couldn't afford to buy another street bike and insure it anyway, which is probably why there are so many good deals to be had here right now on used bikes. US buyers not only enjoy a 34% strong dollar at the moment, pretty sure they also get 100% of the 13% sales tax refunded when they take the goods out of the country. ... that's pretty much like y'all gettin a 47% discount off the purchase price of any goods purchased here.

Can we talk about that rear shock in that first photo now? ... geesh that sure looks like a stock 1970's Honda shock that was bent and then jammed into the compressed position! Would somebody actually intentionally do that to a shock absorber

They do much sicker things than that like heating the spring up and compressing it so it's free length is only 10mm from bound, re chroming it and then dropping it back over the rechromed standard damper. I've come across some truly horrific car and motorcycle suspension "mods" in my time tinkering.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links