Sandcast carbs?
Close

Sandcast carbs?

This is a discussion on Sandcast carbs? within the Craigslist/Ebay forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; So while I was bidding on the CR carbs, I was following these: KEHIN CARBURETOR Z1 Z1000 KZ 1000 Z1900 SANDCAST CARBURETORS WOW RACING *682 ...

Thread: Sandcast carbs?

Sandcast carbs?

So while I was bidding on the CR carbs, I was following these:

KEHIN CARBURETOR Z1 Z1000 KZ 1000 Z1900 SANDCAST CARBURETORS WOW RACING *682

In the last minute of bidding they jumped from $100 to $1000. I couldn't see anything obvious that made them special and they looked pretty tired in the pictures. What justifies the $1000 bid? Why are these apparently so special?
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

So in digging around about these (out of sheer curiosity) I may have figured out what they are.

I believe they may be the older style Keihin CR carbs, the type without an idle stop
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by CaTacL1sm View Post
    So while I was bidding on the CR carbs, I was following these:

KEHIN CARBURETOR Z1 Z1000 KZ 1000 Z1900 SANDCAST CARBURETORS WOW RACING *682

In the last minute of bidding they jumped from $100 to $1000. I couldn't see anything obvious that made them special and they looked pretty tired in the pictures. What justifies the $1000 bid? Why are these apparently so special?
    I had a real set of these but they were 970kit CR750 carbs, when I sold them I got nearly $3800 for them from a racer in Australia.

It isn't that they don't have an idle stop...they don't have an idle circuit of any kind. This is a real deal pukka race part, that's what makes them so special. They are called sandcast because the early ones had a rough finish on the body and I believe were lost mold cast. If you went back in time to 1973 and looked at the grid of inline 4 cylinder racing machines, these are the only carbs you would see regardless if it was a honda or kawasaki. I think there were 6 different versions before they got to the modern CR street carbs, Sandcasts would be the first version.

For some reason they are not appreciated here in the states. I couldn't get $1500 for mine domestically, but to a guy building racing an accurate CR750 overseas, they are worth 3 times that.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

yea I had been watching the item for a few days when it was around $100. when it suddenly skyrocketed in price I figured it was something special.

Sponsored Links