Best exhaust for a Honda CL360?
Close

This is a discussion on Best exhaust for a Honda CL360? within the Craigslist/Ebay forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I what compact exhaust/muffler is best to use on a Honda CL360?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Best exhaust for a Honda CL360?

I what compact exhaust/muffler is best to use on a Honda CL360?

What is best if everything in the engine is stock? The stock high pipes of course.

Years ago Rosko showed me a hooker header he had for a cb360. It was a cl specific high pipe, was pretty light, had ok chrome, really neat touches like the hooker heart stamped onto the leg shields, and made power everywhere. I've not seen one since, but maybe there is another one out there.
    TrialsRider likes this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Darn I meant to post this in the technical section. Sorry.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I have a brand new set of ST (not TT) chrome head pipes that I will shoot a pic of and post for sale here tomorrow. They are similar to the Triumph pipes in your avitar, no mufflers, I think they were made by MC Enterprises (USA) in the '70's.

Thanks bignick, I like the looks of the CL/scrambler pipes, but I'd have more muffler options with the low pipes. I'll check em out when you get them listed.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks bignick, I like the looks of the CL/scrambler pipes, but I'd have more muffler options with the low pipes. I'll check em out when you get them listed.

So let's talk about this for a second. If you are running a stock engine the sizing and routing of the stock pipes give the best street performance. They have good mid range, a nice level torque curve, and they are pretty efficient in their routing. Contrary to what most think they are not "restrictive" and adding a "free flowing" exhaust will not give you more power. It may move the torque curve around so you have a higher top end rush but it won't actually add ponies to the overall output.

The biggest downside to them is the weight. The pipes are double walled. Honda did this so that the pipes would stay chrome and not blue like HD or british chrome pipes at the time. This means that you are carrying around the weight of two exhaust systems at all times. Also sometimes moisture gets in between the pipes and rusts out the insides, causing blockages. finally the chrome on the stock system wasn't that great to begin with so they get rusty on the outside too and are hard to clean and re-chrome.

If I were in your shoes and I wanted to keep the high pipe, I honestly would make my own exhaust. I would use the same inside diameter pipe that the stock exhaust uses, and would follow the routing of the stock exhaust, but delete the double wall and the extra weight. I might even use a thinner gauge pipe thickness. Places like cone engineering can sell you welder's kits of pipe bends, shapes, and flanges, and if you have access to a welder you could probably knock something like this out in a week of nights and weekends. Then you can really say you have a custom motorcycle.
    Motorcycle Components-Cone Exhaust Stuff

Otherwise I would run the stock system and just stick two of cone engineering's shorty mufflers on the back of the stock headpipes if you just want to get more noise out.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

I have one of those hooker exhausts on my SL350. Sounds amazing and extremely lightName:  IMAG0619.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  4.22 MB
    s10hornet, drgonzo and slofut like this.

it looks great too.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Scrambler mike, those do look good, can those work on the 360? Are they custom?

Geeto, I'm not looking for more noise, just a different look. The cheap shorties have plenty of noise, and they don't look bad, but they do sound cheap. I'll check the cone engineering. I think I've looked ther before searching for replacements on a xs650 I had a few years back.

Thanks all. Phil

i use a pair of honda 250f muffs they have 2 silencers
    lots of takeoff stock single cans off of 250f mxers out there(honda i think is the only Name:  tailight avfrican twin 020.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  955.9 KBones split into 2)all you need is a collector

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links