1978 Honda CX500 - Good deal?
Close

This is a discussion on 1978 Honda CX500 - Good deal? within the Craigslist/Ebay forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Looking at maybe buying a 1978 Honda CX500 this weekend. I wanted to post the details that I received about the bike and get some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 1978 Honda CX500 - Good deal?

Looking at maybe buying a 1978 Honda CX500 this weekend. I wanted to post the details that I received about the bike and get some feedback on whether it seems like a good purchase for the price (asking $2,800). I'm likely to tinker with the bike over time but not wanting to throw money at it immediately.Name:  Honda CX500 - 1.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  142.6 KB

Any advice or thoughts are welcomed.

"New after-market carbs New Mechanical Seal Upgraded alternator and Electronic Ignition System - Hall Effect Upgraded radiator fan to an electric Ducati Fan Leather seat with tail loop New Rear Engine gasket New oil filter New engine bolts Painted the Engine with high heat Black Paint Powder Coated frame New head light New exhaust and mufflerNew fork seals New tires Upgraded front disc brake Everything has been re-greased and oiled and she's ready to rumble. The only thing I did not upgrade was the tank. The previous owner had redone the inside of the tank - so it works really well, it just isn't pretty. There are workmanship flaws in the tank and a dent in the tank from it being dropped (not the bike, the tank)."

"As far as running the bike, its great - but like all vintage vehicles it has its quirks or 'unique characteristics'. It needs to get warm, and likes to run at a little higher rpm at stoplights. I think its the new carbs. I'm not sure if it's getting enough air- or if the fuel line to the carbs are giving it enough gas because sometimes it'll idle off. That's the only thing I haven't given enough time to figure out - but it doesn't affect its reliability enough for me to care. I can show you what I mean when you come see it."

very querky
    lol headlight direction and the front brake line routing indicates just how much riding it sees.

Do you know what they sold for brand new in 1978? <- please point out one improvement over the original.
    ... would make a damn good saw mill, but not at that price.
    woodsman likes this.

? are those harley rear shocks or what

BTW: that bike would fail tech inspection
    Even Dirt bike tech inspection! <- rear fender must extend to a distance of no less then a point directly above the rear axle for a reason.

[email protected]#$% it's even got the passenger pegs mounted backwards, it's a death trap for passengers, don't put anybody on there you like.
    ... and don't go saying those are the rearsets or I'll puke.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 10-04-2018 at 11:50 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

In your opinion what would you offer then? I want to be respectful when I start to discuss the price with the guy if I decide to purchase. I don't know if it is the best valuing website, but KBB has the bike "stock" at $1,500. Like you said I don't know exactly what has been done that makes the seller believe $2,800 is reasonable.

Asking whether, or not, a CX500 is a good idea (at ANY price) on THIS forum is like looking down the barrel of a gun to see if it is loaded.......
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

it is junk dude unsafely and badly modified
    it is a parts bike

fer fucks sake open your eyes look at the front brake line !! tight as a banjo string
    lord only knows how those forks are set up but they need to have static sag and what that means is the forks can extend farther in...good lord why do i bother
    the ignorance of the general population today is astounding
    motherfuckers that build deathtraps like that should have their hand chopped off

IMO he's asking way above book value for half a bike.
    So I guess that makes it about 750$ canadian that's about 580USD

580 sounds about right.
    ... only because it would make a damn good saw mill
    woodsman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 8ball View Post
    Asking whether, or not, a CX500 is a good idea (at ANY price) on THIS forum is like looking down the barrel of a gun to see if it is loaded.......
    I guess that means it would be unwise for me to post pictures of my GL500 Interstate project? Perhaps a waste of my remaining time on this god forsaken planet, but I'm too far into it to turn back. Don't want to post anything yet anyway,.... the bone line is still off and the triangle has been filled with a Rube Goldberg like collection of dumpster findings.

OP.... if you were close by, you could have the 500 lbs of leftovers which includes all the ProLink shock, linkage, and swingarm bits. You could even have the swingarm pivots that I removed from the frame with a big ugly angle grinder......

Ps, I've had just oodles of gun safety training, so I may lose my brains, but won't be from this sort of thing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5tvJa5jk9rg
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Stock, it was a commuter bike and in my opinion a good one. Nothing special just affordable, easy handling, reliable transportation. I drove one for over a year and it took me everywhere I wanted to go without a single issue or breakdown. Had luggage and I drove two up often. Low on power and not exactly a looker except that funky engine design. I liked that. Absolute shit as a cafe bike. You should probably walk away from this one. THAT bike is poorly thought out and dangerous to who ever buys it. I wouldn't cut his hands off as previously mentioned but I might make him ride it which could end worse. Whats your wrenching and riding experience? What kind of riding do you want to do? Whats your budget?
    XB33BSA likes this.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Motorcycle Sawmill

& watch it don't cut yer arm off!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links