Odd combination, but well executed.
Close

This is a discussion on Odd combination, but well executed. within the Craigslist/Ebay forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...93ec98deb0-004...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Odd combination, but well executed.

"Non urinat in ventum"

really interesting, and looks almost stock in the execution. It's really interesting that he built a shortster engine combo - likely because the sporty unit construction setup wouldn't fit, but also to get that extra 5th gear.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Certainly nothing to criticize there, but a pair of 500cc British cylinders and heads would cap it off nicely. I’ve seen a 45 with Matchless barrels and heads.... interesting look to it. There is also a fellow around here that has a 45 with BMW Rennsport ? barrels and heads. I haven’t actually seen it, but should ask the guy if I can take a photo or two next time I see him.
    Last edited by Cyorg; 10-02-2019 at 10:48 AM.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

harley 45 engines are flatheads and a completely different bottom case.

The setup I think is really interesting is ducati 2 valve desmo heads on top of big twins.
    https://thekneeslider.com/desmoharle...win-completed/

They make pleanty of beauty covers for sporty evo heads to make them look less "modern"
    http://www.estmd.com

Divorced transmission sportsters (or shortsters - not to be confused with the harley monkey bike "shortster") are fascinating to me. The biggest flaw with ironheads and pre 1991 sportsters are the 4 speed transmissions. With pre 1978 ironehads you are also married to the awful large rear sprocket/drum brake setup stock, but that's a different conversation. those old 4 speeds have a ratio like an old muscle car (an m20 4 speed out of a 1966 chevelle to be exact - 2.52 1st and a 1:1 4th) which is a wide ratio and on the highway the bike ends up screaming. being able to run a norton or triumph transmission means a much closer ratio gearset to keep in the powerband, or you can find an overdrive trans like a baker

http://www.shortsters.com/
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Ha! well would you look at that, somebody built a nicer Harley then H-D builds and they did it with old British bike parts, awesome!

... is a little sad because I think it is/was somebody's pride and joy.

45 is different yes, but donít see anything that would prevent British thumper barrels of some sort going on there. I would think cylinder bolt pattern could be dealt with, but HD stuff is out of my wheelhouse. That Ducati one is interesting. Always thought it would fun to make something like that, but Iím already exhibiting enough odd behaviour to get folks thinking I should be institutionalized.

There is a thread out there on the engine with Matchless cylinders, but itís all screwed up thanks to those twatts from photo bucket.

Trials.... back in the day, nobody ( in their right mind) shed a tear when an A10 got flung onto the scrap heap.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Ews
    Well it looks decent enough. Would be interesting to see how it rides
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    45 is different yes, but don’t see anything that would prevent British thumper barrels of some sort going on there. I would think cylinder bolt pattern could be dealt with, but HD stuff is out of my wheelhouse. That Ducati one is interesting. Always thought it would fun to make something like that, but I’m already exhibiting enough odd behaviour to get folks thinking I should be institutionalized.
    eh...I'm not so sure, I think if ti was possible or worth it, someone would have done it. Old Ironheads aren't bad in design, aside from the shared intake and valve angle, it's a hemi head and they flow pretty well stock with a lot of potential. I have seen guys like sputhe and robinson make ther own heads based on a stock/xr750 hybrid design, and lots of home builders convert to running 2 front heads do get dual carbs, but not a lot if any running brit heads on an iron or evo sporty.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Suprised you had the brass neck to post that Cyorg, with it not being another bloody CB.
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    45 is different yes, but donít see anything that would prevent British thumper barrels of some sort going on there. I would think cylinder bolt pattern could be dealt with, but HD stuff is out of my wheelhouse. That Ducati one is interesting. Always thought it would fun to make something like that, but Iím already exhibiting enough odd behaviour to get folks thinking I should be institutionalized.

There is a thread out there on the engine with Matchless cylinders, but itís all screwed up thanks to those twatts from photo bucket.

Trials.... back in the day, nobody ( in their right mind) shed a tear when an A10 got flung onto the scrap heap.
    Your scrap heap maybe, our scrap yards are full of Japanese bike parts.
    Seen some nice ones at vintage rallies got to ride some, anything British pre-unit is interesting to me, no idea why, just is.

Well actually there is one reason showcased here nicely, you can easy hook any kind of motor up to it and have a cool bike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links