Bluetooth Helmets - Page 2
Close

Bluetooth Helmets

This is a discussion on Bluetooth Helmets within the Gear forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by TSwami I have a Sena SMH10 in my helmet and I love it. I can hook it up to GPS (bluetooth or ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Bluetooth Helmets

Quote Originally Posted by TSwami View Post
    I have a Sena SMH10 in my helmet and I love it. I can hook it up to GPS (bluetooth or plug), phone for calls or music, and I can talk to other riders who have helmet systems. (It's the only one right now I think that is universal and connects to any brand).

Being able to talk to my passenger or riding buddy is easier than hand signals and easier to coordinate stops. GPS is great on long trips because it just kicks in my helmet without ever having to think about looking at something. I listen to music sometimes too and people can say what they will but after logging thousands and thousands of miles I have never had an issue with distraction. Depends on the person, new riders without experience shouldn't have any distractions.

All of the helmets I have seen that have them built in are cheap so a unit like the SENA is the way to go because you can move it from helmet to helmet or get a couple mounts and move it around. Works great on my offroad helmet too for when I'm out in the middle of nowhere. If I wreck and break all of my limbs I can still voice command my way to 911 to get help.
    Have the same unit bought for my solo cross country trip to use for navigation. I can only agree with what is said here and add that battery life is great.

I never had one because I am self entertaining.......always singing a song or something stupid to keep me entertained.

With that said I know a few HAM radio operators who utilize Bluetooth with VOX to operate their radios while riding. I've had many conversations from my station to HAMs riding and it was surprisingly clear from their end. Every now and then you will hear in their voice what I call "vibrato" but very minimal. When I finally get my touring bike I am going to get the same setup for my radio.

Ok, so I picked up a set of bluetooth earbuds yesterday afternoon for a couple of reasons. I wanted to see if I even liked having something other than the road in my ear while I ride, and if I don't, I can use them for running, phone calls, etc. Here's what I found out:

1: The ride is a lot more pleasant without the sound of my exhaust drone being quite so loud. The previous owner of my bike put an aftermarket exhaust on it, and I just never realized how loud it is. The buds function as pretty good ear plugs.
    2: I don't find some quiet music distracting. I wouldn't want it in the city, but for my commute, it's quite lovely.
    3: I don't immediately like the isolated feeling that the "ear plug" feature gives you. I feel like if a car were screeching to a stop behind me, I'd want to know about it sooner than the plugs would allow.

So i guess I'll start looking for a helmet with a system built in. I need a new helmet anyway, and the buds are cool but w the built in speakers, I'll have the option of earplugs also. Maybe after a couple more days riding with the buds in, I'll have more input.
    "It ran when I parked it. Probably just needs new gas and the carbs cleaned."

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

look at the scala rider GX9 1 mile range in if is sight and yes the go that far plus I have the mic and speakers set up in three different helmets so i just change the module from helmet to helmet and the speakers sound great, it also has FM raido. I have a nolan with the built in system and changed it to the scala. I've been running them for two and a half years in my and my girlfriends helmets with no problems and they are voice activated. When hooked to my Iphone I can even get directions while driving. I would stay away from the built in systems, check reviews and do some research that is how I picked the scalas plus all Bluetooth systems do not talk to each other. I picked my set (2 paired units) for 380.00 on Ebay. I've been touring Euroupe with them the for the last year and a half and they have seen ice, snow and rain and plenty of abuse

scala rider G9x

On sale now
    Sena SMH10R Bluetooth Headset
    Sena SMH10R Bluetooth Headset - RevZilla

Attachment 14694

Quote Originally Posted by Jruff5585 View Post
    look at the scala rider GX9 1 mile range in if is sight and yes the go that far plus I have the mic and speakers set up in three different helmets so i just change the module from helmet to helmet and the speakers sound great, it also has FM raido. I have a nolan with the built in system and changed it to the scala. I've been running them for two and a half years in my and my girlfriends helmets with no problems and they are voice activated. When hooked to my Iphone I can even get directions while driving. I would stay away from the built in systems, check reviews and do some research that is how I picked the scalas plus all Bluetooth systems do not talk to each other. I picked my set (2 paired units) for 380.00 on Ebay. I've been touring Euroupe with them the for the last year and a half and they have seen ice, snow and rain and plenty of abuse

scala rider G9x
    That's good info. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
    On sale now
    Sena SMH10R Bluetooth Headset
    Sena SMH10R Bluetooth Headset - RevZilla

Attachment 14694
    That looks like a nice unit. I like the price too. Going helmet shopping this eve so I'll keep this unit in mind while I'm at it.

Sena 10U initial impressions

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
    My GT Air is speakerless right now, I'm awaiting a new Sena unit which is built specifically for the GT Air and is all internal, no snap-on module on the side.
    Alrighty then, so the Sena 10U was waiting for me when I got back in town earlier this week. I installed it in my GT Air and have ridden with it a couple times. No complaints about the main unit, it fits the helmet pretty well, as to be expected, it was designed to fit after all. Volume seems about the same as my SMH10. The first ride I took was with no earplugs and I could hear a bit of hissing when listening to music, not sure what that was all about but today riding in with earplugs I couldn't hear it. I haven't figured out how to work all the features yet and it was a little annoying at first in that the beeps when a button was pressed were F'ING LOUD and the music wasn't. Actually it was a lot annoying. Turns out I have to turn up the volume on the phone when playing music, now the beeps are more appropriately loud compared to the music but still a bit over the top. I'm hoping there's a setting to turn them off.

Anyway, yeah, the main unit works about like I expected and fits the helmet well. Now on to the remote.

Since this is pretty much an internal fit to the helmet there are no external controls. The only buttons on it are behind the face shield, you can control everything with them but you have to have the shield open to do it and remember a bunch of different button combinations for the various functions. Normal operation is through a handlebar mounted remote. And... I am NOT a fan of the remote. It's a spring loaded gizmo that fits loosely on a 7/8 (22mm) bar. They include a couple rubber tubes to put on the bars if the fit is loose but come on. Every bike I've ever owned has had 7/8" bars and this fits loose on them? Rubber tubes? Seriously? I'm supposed to pull the grip and the switchgear to slide the rubber parts on? I ended up attaching it over the wiring which snugged it up a little but it still moves around on the bars. It has a joystick and two small buttons, one on the front and one on the back. The front button is ok but I'm not sure I can get to the back one easily. The joystick works ok but makes that god awful beep every time you touch it. And to skip songs you have to press and hold it, I'd much prefer you just bump it since the damn thing moves when you push the stick to the side. Try to skip a song, get a few beeps instead, and then the whole thing moves and you have to push the joystick again and get the beeps and hope it doesn't move.

To sum it up, the main unit is fine, but the remote pretty much sucks. For just listening to music it'll work out fine. If I can change the settings to the damn thing doesn't beep every time I touch a control I'll be a lot happier. And if I can figure out how to mount the remote so ti doesn't move around I'll be happier... but over all I'd like an option with a more permanent mount for the controls on the bars.
    Last edited by DesmoDog; 07-22-2015 at 06:44 AM. Reason: I can spell better than I can type
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

Great info. I've since bought a bluetooth compatible helmet, but haven't pulled the trigger on a unit yet. I'm interested to know if you get the beep situation resolved.

I have a Sena SMH5, which is a slightly older no frills model. There's the smh9 and a 10 out now, and they have one with a camera. The more you pay the more daisy-chaining together you can do.

It is the greatest thing since sliced bread. If you ride with a couple of friends regularly, it's almost essential. The Bluetooth is seamless, they link up easily and they just flat out work.

I rode for several years with a Motocom set up with GMRS radios, and they were always spotty, garbled and required 8 million different cords. I probably still have it if anyone wants to go old skool.

Get one.
    ffarl likes this.
    1988 GL1500

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links