Bluetooth Helmets
Close

Bluetooth Helmets

This is a discussion on Bluetooth Helmets within the Gear forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I opened a new section because I was surprised we didn't have one for gear discussions. Anyone have any experience with a bluetooth helmet? Do ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Bluetooth Helmets

Bluetooth Helmets

I opened a new section because I was surprised we didn't have one for gear discussions.

Anyone have any experience with a bluetooth helmet? Do you find it distracting? I'm mostly interested because I would think it's safer to hear audio navigation cues than to say, mount your phone on your bars and look for visual cues. There have been a lot of times lately where I've needed navigation and just had to pull over to check when I got close.
    "It ran when I parked it. Probably just needs new gas and the carbs cleaned."

Well, I think riders should determine their intended flight plans, well before launch. I don't think there should be any audio action or a visual display screen diverting a riders focus or depleting their already scant attention spans. Also, I can't think of a worse way to conduct a phone call, than inside a helmet at speed, or in traffic. It's hardly a dignified way for a gentleman to conduct himself on a motorcycle.

I'm not against technology though. I think being able to play Tetris with my tongue, on a HUD visor would be a good way to wile away the seconds, while waiting patiently for a stop light to change.

I found that listening to loud rock music in my helmet, at well over the ton, while commuting, made concentration rather difficult.

Danger, is my business."

Ignoring the irony of you telling me how a "Gentleman should conduct himself", I'm aware of the pitfalls. I don't condone drowning out the audio cues that keep us alive with the latest from Godsmack or something. I'm talking about audio navigation, in a circumstance where memorizing directions is not feasible.
    thechief86 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Witworth View Post
    I found that listening to loud rock music in my helmet, at well over the ton, while commuting, made concentration rather difficult.

Danger, is my business."
    good thing is the crash investigators will be able to download your cellphone and know what distraced you.

I have a Sena SMH10 in my helmet and I love it. I can hook it up to GPS (bluetooth or plug), phone for calls or music, and I can talk to other riders who have helmet systems. (It's the only one right now I think that is universal and connects to any brand).

Being able to talk to my passenger or riding buddy is easier than hand signals and easier to coordinate stops. GPS is great on long trips because it just kicks in my helmet without ever having to think about looking at something. I listen to music sometimes too and people can say what they will but after logging thousands and thousands of miles I have never had an issue with distraction. Depends on the person, new riders without experience shouldn't have any distractions.

All of the helmets I have seen that have them built in are cheap so a unit like the SENA is the way to go because you can move it from helmet to helmet or get a couple mounts and move it around. Works great on my offroad helmet too for when I'm out in the middle of nowhere. If I wreck and break all of my limbs I can still voice command my way to 911 to get help.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

Cool. Does the helmet have to be set up for it though? Like with recesses for the parts?

Years ago before bluetooth I put a set of speakers in a helmet and hooked up to my walkman or radio or some such thing. HATED it. Pulled the speakers after one ride.

Flash forwad ten or fifteen years and I bought a Sena SMH10 before a bike vacation (averaged about 540 miles per day when we rode) and I loved having it. As mentioned in another thread, I don't use it for phone calls. But even that is mainly due to me rarely talking on a phone anyway. I was surprised how much I liked having an option to listen to music. Going across Nebraska it was nice to hear something other than the drone of the ST1100 I was on... I haven't tried the intercom feature with other riders but probably will later this year since a riding buddy is now Sena equipped also.

I still detest LOUD music when I ride. Don't like it much when I'm not riding either. As counter-intuitive as it may sound I still wear earplugs.

I think most recent helmets have cut outs for speakers? The rest of it clamps on the outside so it will work in most helmets. I set up a Suomi with no mods to the helmet. I had to cut some of a trim piece to get it to fit my Nolan. My GT Air is speakerless right now, I'm awaiting a new Sena unit which is built specifically for the GT Air and is all internal, no snap-on module on the side.
    Last edited by DesmoDog; 06-03-2015 at 11:29 AM.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

More to the point, does Ichiban Moto do spoken word or pop music in mp3 format for fastlane entertainment?

Danger, is my business."

No I have several helmets and only one has internal speaker pockets. I assume there are some it wont work with but I would say its pretty universal.

I agree Desmo, I wear earplugs. I bought the do it yourself kit you make that fit your ear. Works great, doesnt fall out and I can still hear my music. It does sound counter intuitive but it makes it easier to focus.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Witworth View Post
    More to the point, does Ichiban Moto do spoken word or pop music in mp3 format for fastlane entertainment?
    Of course ! PM me your address and I'll mail you out a CD
    thechief86 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links