Saddle bags
Close

Saddle bags

This is a discussion on Saddle bags within the Gear forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Ahoy! Long term lerker but have only just signed up! I know I'll get some flack for this but I'm a brave man and can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Saddle bags

Saddle bags

Ahoy!

Long term lerker but have only just signed up! I know I'll get some flack for this but I'm a brave man and can take it.

Saddle bags on a cafe racer inspired bike? Crazy? I know most of you would have those little seats for one but I would never. The missus would have a bar of that (once I get my bike). It's one of the reasons she's letting me get one. Last time I had one a few years back I was single so no drama their!

I'm about to buy a CB350 and will need to carry stuff. I hate the idea of having a backpack. Don't feel so free. Like I said, I'll always have a seat for two so saddle bags would be perf! I found the Dues ones. Very nice but sadly they don't make them anymore to my knowledge.

Then I stumbled upon these while trolling instagram! Kickstarter for some hipster saddle bags bags.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

But nobody can say they don't care what they look like when they ride a cafe racer, no? It's all about that stripped back cool factor. Otherwise we would all keep out ugly handle bars and indicators of those old jap bikes

But anyway, thinking of getting behind this kickstarter and in hope of getting a bag out of it, trying to spread the word they make their target. Super selfish of me I know.

Opinions on the bags welcome including any other alternatives! (Anything cheaper would be ideal)

Over and out
    J

this looks better.

Name:  11917879_487094821458795_957800505_n.jpg
Views: 3645
Size:  20.8 KB
    thechief86 and Stephen J like this.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

I have three sets of bags in my garage - small leather throw over the backseat saddle bags, a larger leather throw over and a set of hard bags. I use them on my bikes all the time. I don't see any problem with having a temporary bagger... God willing - I'd like to have a Road Glide sitting in the garage next spring to add to my collection..
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Raven, Through a garbage bag over the top and it's weather proof!! I wouldn't agree that it looks better, or fit on any cafe racer bike but damn bro, hipstermatic for sure. I'd ride that and pull up to work and unclip that create and stroll on in with it in hand!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsondarcy View Post

Long term lerker but have only just signed up! I know I'll get some flack for this but I'm a brave man and can take it.
    Welcome

Saddle bags on a cafe racer inspired bike? Crazy? I know most of you would have those little seats for one but I would never.
    Not so crazy. I mean the point of a bike is to ride it and sometimes you need to carry crap. They sell luggage for sportbikes so why not. I mean, we are not talking a full tour and tails kit just some throw over saddle bags and maybe a tank bag.

I'm about to buy a CB350 and will need to carry stuff.
    you bought the wrong bike. CB350 will carry you, the mrs, or your stuff (provided your stuff is more than a notebook in size and shape)....pick one. I'm not saying you need to go out and get a GL1000 but try to get something a little bigger than an around town tiddler? cb450s and cb500s are better, cb550 and cb750 are much better. so are triumph 650s/750s, norton commandos, etc...Don't buy a 350 - it's too tiny.

I hate the idea of having a backpack. Don't feel so free. Like I said, I'll always have a seat for two so saddle bags would be perf! I found the Dues ones. Very nice but sadly they don't make them anymore to my knowledge.
    Are you talking about the Deus Ex saddlebags? Nothing says hipster like a $500 saddlebag on a $500 motorcycle.

Then I stumbled upon these while trolling instagram! Kickstarter for some hipster saddle bags bags.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search
    Even better!!!! a $1000 saddlebag for a $500 motorcycle. they are nice bags, but you are kind of missing the point of a saddle bag.

But nobody can say they don't care what they look like when they ride a cafe racer, no?
    Have you met this crowd? if it isn't improving the ride most could give two shits. And this is kind of the point. instead of looking for something in-expensive, waterproof, practical, and durable you are looking at shite with canvas and leather and more buckles than a bondage suit.

It's all about that stripped back cool factor.
    WTF is this nonsense?

Otherwise we would all keep out ugly handle bars and indicators of those old jap bikes
    yeah um....most normal people change their bars for rider comfort or to increase their leverage. there is a functional component to it or did you forget that bars are there to steer the bike? Also LED's are way brighter than those old giant indicators which by they way I have kept on a lot of my of bikes because they are visible, choosing to only replace them when something brighter is available. I mean if you approach to motorcyling is "how cool am I going to look" then you really aren't that far from being a statistic. You can just buy a bunch of t-shirts with motorcycles on them and hang out at biker bars if that is really the effect you are going for.

But anyway, thinking of getting behind this kickstarter and in hope of getting a bag out of it, trying to spread the word they make their target. Super selfish of me I know.
    did you read that backer's pledge? $775 to get two bags. Not two sets but a left and a right. granted it will be cheaper than the $1000 they will likely charge when they finally come out but still....really? it is weather resistant which means it will leak at the zippers, and it's leather which stains in water. It's about as useful as a tourmaster that costs 1/8 as much. seriously, I think I saw tourmaster bags for $130 on special last week at Revzilla.

Opinions on the bags welcome including any other alternatives! (Anything cheaper would be ideal)

Over and out
    J
    so yeah, those kickstarter bags suck. It's a $600 premium for style over a standard cheap nylon bag.

if you have to have the vintage look the HD crowd has you covered:
    Leatherworks, Inc. Distressed Brown Throw-Over Saddlebags | 831-785 | J&P Cycles

if you feel like you have to spend half a grand:
    Vintage Saddle Bags | Nevermindleather

here are river road's fake pleather WATERPROOF saddlebags:
    River Road Rigid Zip-Off Box Classic Saddlebags with Security Lock | 353-109 | J&P Cycles
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I personally use a tank bag. I don't have clip ons.......I use superbike bars and a stock peg position. With that I mount my small 2 meter radio for beacon transmits.

I like my cafe themed machines to be "all day" runners.

I'm not going to lie............... I did give this a though awhile back.......everything except the fairing.

Name:  Screenshot_2015-11-10-12-31-09-1.png
Views: 4580
Size:  2.70 MB
    Last edited by knappyfeet; 11-10-2015 at 02:42 PM.

My next old bike will have a dustbin...
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

knappyfeet, I'm pretty sure i would be giving that a thought every night. And in the early morning on most days too.
    knappyfeet likes this.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by raven View Post
    knappyfeet, I'm pretty sure i would be giving that a thought every night. And in the early morning on most days too.
    I'm sure we're talking about the dustbin right?

I love these saddlebags. Beautiful design, i can only hope they come out with some beautiful hard bag designs in the future. Great designing.. looking foward to trying to replace my current viking bags Hard Saddlebags - Viking Hard Touring Motorcycle Trunks with some of them.
    The fear of being behind is constantly on my mind
    That's the reason I hustle
    That's the reason I grind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links