looking for opinions on jackets - Page 2
Close

looking for opinions on jackets

This is a discussion on looking for opinions on jackets within the Gear forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Was looking myself just recently. First I had to decide on a style. Sport vs touring etc... The sport style look, well sporty but little ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: looking for opinions on jackets

Was looking myself just recently. First I had to decide on a style. Sport vs touring etc... The sport style look, well sporty but little or no pocket space. I opted for the more touring style since it has lots of pockets and a zip out liner that goes all the way down the sleeves. Slightly longer jacket as well which I like. Made by tourmaster. I compared it to several other brands in the same store and quality wise it seemed to be best. Not to busy around the neck either. Some of'm have so much stuff round the neck it's like putting on a straight jacket. When your trying it on remember to sit and lean in the position you'll be riding in. Some can feel great walking about but in the ride position not so much. Protection for me is key. Shoulders, elbows and back. If it doesn't have it put it back on the rack and keep looking. IMO. Cheers
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

thanks - I am hoping to find reasonable - but I like the sound of that new protective material I think it is d30 armor that is flexible but firms up on impact - I think that might have been first gear? or that may be a universal material - I had not realized or thought much about the length I did see a few longer with belts? I do like the vented option and the ability to add and remove armor. the budget thing is always a problem - but then again so is a hospital stay

Leather AGV Teknic with armor have both been fully tested by myself and held up to multiple crashes. I have a First Gear touring suit that is nice comfort wise for a wide range of conditions but would prefer leather if I crash. I also have a Teknic mesh jacket fit is good but not stiff enough for any real impact even with its armor inserted, I just use this for short work commute on hot days. Anything loose is not as good as snugly fit gear if it can shift it will burn and armor moves from where its needed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

good to know about the fit thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
    Leather AGV Teknic with armor have both been fully tested by myself and held up to multiple crashes. I have a First Gear touring suit that is nice comfort wise for a wide range of conditions but would prefer leather if I crash. I also have a Teknic mesh jacket fit is good but not stiff enough for any real impact even with its armor inserted, I just use this for short work commute on hot days. Anything loose is not as good as snugly fit gear if it can shift it will burn and armor moves from where its needed.
    Just a suggestion... If you've had "multiple" crashes, maybe safer to stick to 4 wheels.
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

Gravity always wins. I only drive a car when I cant be on a bike, been that way since I started riding when I was 13 shit happens over time. I never ride without gear and the only real injury I ever suffered was a broken wrist due to a highside on a race prepped 88 GSXR 750 "Cast Iron Brembo disks were cold" tried dodging a stray dog at night and could not slow.
    steveo likes this.

no crashes yet - I am just getting started - I thought I better figure out this gear stuf before my first full summer

The problem I have with textile jackets is that the armor doesn't always stay where it is supposed to in a crash. Leather tends not to move around during a slide, and the armor tends to stay put, where it belongs. But a good textile is still better than a non-motorcycle type leather jacket for protection.
    conghos likes this.
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

do those that use the leather find that there are good products to help coat or protect the leather for wet weather ?

also - has anyone tried anything from any of these companies fieldsheer, tourmaster leather, river road(leahter) speed and strength - I ran across these on a search and in some local shops -

thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links