looking for opinions on jackets
Close

This is a discussion on looking for opinions on jackets within the Gear forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; hey everyone I am looking for what will be my first motorcycle only jacket and wanted to get some opinions on what might be some ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: looking for opinions on jackets

hey everyone

I am looking for what will be my first motorcycle only jacket and wanted to get some opinions on what might be some good options - I did look a little at some of the nylon/material jackets that have the d30 armor and a few of the joe rocket leather jackets - I am not committed to any particular brand
    I am not sure which to go with and it is an investment - money wise and safety wise -so I thought I would turn to those I trust with more knowledge and experience than I -

any thoughts?

thanks

Sean

I stay away from Joe Rocket and Icon. They tend to have issues with unraveling. Alpine Stars, Dianese, Even Teknik are decent. I have one textile jacket that I wear when n my cruiser, but usually I ride in full leathers....most of my riding is aggressive canyon riding, or track.
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

I'm sure there are great brands out there but I use Dainese. I also have an Alpinestars and that's fine as well.

I stay away from the flashy colors only because I will keep a good jacket way longer than I keep my bikes. Black blends with everything.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Cortex Tour Master guy myself and wife. We like the 3 jackets in one so you n peel off layer as the season gets hotter and put it on at night or in fall
    \"Smok\'in the competition NOT Tobacco\"
    \"Transplant organs, Don\'t bury them!\"

USCRA #944
    WVRC #44
    www.wvrclub.com

I have all types but personally I like my leather jackets best. I don't want to sound too hipster but I really like my Buffalo type leather. For what ever reason I feel less wind resistance on that type of jacket than my other ones. I've wondered if it the folded over leather that makes it less resistance to wind. In actuality - most folks have several different jackets - depending on the weather and distance your going to ride. I'll give you one tip -buying used is much cheaper than buying new.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

I've spent loads of money on Belstaff, Dainese, etc over the years. Bought this cordura jacket on ebay a few weeks ago. At £45 it's a bargain.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

thanks everyone - I will probably try to find one that can go through at leas a few weather conditions - I am guessing something with a zip out lining - but material has been the biggest question so far

Leather jackets don't really handle the rain like a textile jacket can IMO. I've got a vented textile jacket for summer, and a lined textile fully sealed jacket for winter. The winter jacket is awesome in the wet, but of course, it can get hot when it's warm out.

I like leather, and am thinking of treating myself to a Brooks or Vanson jacket this year in Italian colors to go with my Guzzi. I like the protection from leather, though textile may actually be better. Jamie at Brooks said he could do a custom job for pretty short money.

One thing to watch for is that there is a flap either behind or in front of the main zipper--lots of cold air can blast thru a zipper. I love my cheap Paki leather DUCATI jacket, which has earned its scars, but there isn't one of the flaps I mentioned so it is pretty drafty when the temp is below 70--have sometimes stuck a piece of card board or a fat newspaper in it to keep warm.

For rain I have a Tourmaster rain jacket. That thing is absolutely wonderful. Absolutely.

Putting on a black leather jacket is like putting on an attitude........so mine is red!

I'm on a very meager budget. I've accumulated three Fieldsheer sets for on-road riding. One ballistic nylon with pants that zip to the jacket for over 70degrees. One shorty cordura with zip in pants for 50-70degrees. And one full-length cordura jacket with zip in pants for 30-50degrees. All three come with removable liners, jackets and pants. The cordura are water resistant. Each pant cost about $85-100. Each jacket about $120-175.

I've owned the oldest set for about 10 years. I went down at 30mph and the shorty coudura stopped everything except bruised ribs. It has a few tears that can be repaired. I've had no problems with any seams or zippers.

On the track I wear Vanson.
    Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles. It makes me take another look. - S.M.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links