cafe racer vs coffee shop art
Close

This is a discussion on cafe racer vs coffee shop art within the General FAQ's forums, part of the Caferacer FAQ's category; 500cc and under; spoke wheels; drum brakes; drag bars; single/twin; kickstart?; good frame; "proper tank"----vs----what everyone calls a "cafe racer" on Craigslist------phrase is getting thrown ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

500cc and under; spoke wheels; drum brakes; drag bars; single/twin; kickstart?; good frame; "proper tank"----vs----what everyone calls a "cafe racer" on Craigslist------phrase is getting thrown around alot----what defines a cafe bike to this community?

I think a cafe racer in the true original spirit of the term is any street bike modified to perform better by using available aftermarket performance parts most commonly copied from race bikes of the era. Strip the bike to bare legal essentials, and hopefully make it go, stop and handle better than it left the factory.

The original cafe racers were no doubt temperamental machines being tuned to many different carbs and exhausts and uncomfortable to ride for lengthy periods with racer style seats.

Now it's a style where form seems to be more important than function and the bikes are no doubt temperamental machines being tuned to many different carbs and exhausts and uncomfortable to ride for lengthy periods with racer style seats.

Put more simply, a bike on which your arse can only sustain riding from the cafe you're at then around the block to the same cafe all in the time a LP spins a tune, hence the term cafe racer, I think, wasn't there only read about it.

Were street fighters the next evolution?

I think :| it's too early in the morning for debating linguistic prescriptivism.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

500cc and under?

Pfft....

Traditionalist myself. Never got into Cafe culture as I can get 111 brews from one of these jars at £5.65

Name:  FC680045-1D30-4587-9982-AC67F3154957.jpeg
Views: 260
Size:  14.5 KBName:  FC680045-1D30-4587-9982-AC67F3154957.jpeg
Views: 260
Size:  14.5 KB

I used to be a cafe bum in Hawaii and California but it is part of the culture there. I was riding GSXR 750s and 600s though so I don't know if I could call myself a cafe racer per say.

At Home!

Attachment 80121

is that coffee like todays cafe racers?overpriced with a flavor that will gag'ya

Gaggia is not over priced but is good rich flavor, I have been working through some other Swiss Coffee Maromas. Price is about $5.00 per 16oz. store size bags are about 12oz. and $6.00 + so not poorly priced and you can pick any kind of flavor you want.

Great place for cafe bits: https://www.wholelattelove.com/
    Last edited by nic579; 11-01-2017 at 04:53 AM.

the word racer implies racetrack. call me old but i always defined cafe racer as the moto gp 2 strokes from the 60s and 70s(there were 4 strokes too but they werent putting out the performance power to weight ratio) .pretty much.....not street legal. i do believe the name was replaced by sport bike when they became predominately 4 stroke and street legal. here in the sf bay area guys are getting old beaters(yamaha virago for example) putting clubmans on,spray painting it black and shaving down the old rotted seat and stapling a piece of vinyl on and calling it a cafe racer. a bike thats only worth $1000(if that) is then listed on craigslist for $6000 or more with the title "cafe racer" .......yeah riiiiiiiight!!!!! youre not going to win any races on it, thats for sure. but occasionally you will see a guy that took a 92 gsxr1100 and did a beautiful job of one off cafe styling and ask $7000(clearly a good price for his machine)......his listing says "cafe style"
    Last edited by avalon173; 11-06-2017 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by charles View Post
    ... Put more simply, a bike on which your arse can only sustain riding from the cafe you're at then around the block to the same cafe all in the time a LP spins a tune, hence the term cafe racer, I think, wasn't there only read about it...
    Maybe if you were a really slow rider!
    Vast majority of Jukeboxes in that era played 45's LP = (Long Play) records spin at 33.5 rpm and have multiple tracks, 45's typically had only one hit song per side and a great big hole in the middle. You're going to need to ride much, much faster and we won't be waiting as long for you to get back!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links