New Rider
Close

New Rider

This is a discussion on New Rider within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello everyone, Recently I have taken the idea of owning a motorcycle more serious since I will be moving to a location that it perfect ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Rider

New Rider

Hello everyone,

Recently I have taken the idea of owning a motorcycle more serious since I will be moving to a location that it perfect for riding. I have never had a thing for the current look of racing bikes and am also not a huge fan of harley's or choppers. I do however love the look of the cafe racer and am thinking that I would have a blast riding one around.

Since this is my first bike I am looking to stay below $2000 and am open to suggestion about what bike would be the best for a first time rider. I am 6'3", weight 180 pounds, and plan on doing mostly highway/town riding.

I also wouldn't mind getting a project bike to work on instead of a complete.

I would appreciate any help you guys could give me.

Also wanted to add that I love the look of the 1986 yamaha srx 600 but am not sure if it would be possible to get one for under $2000. Do you guys have any opinions on the srx600?

Also wanted to add that I love the look of the 1986 yamaha srx 600 but am not sure if it would be possible to get one for under $2000. Do you guys have any opinions on the srx600?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

couple of nice cb450's on eBay this week
    Shawn

couple of nice cb450's on eBay this week
    Shawn

Personally I would start with a complete, running bike instead of a project. A vintage bike with "cafe" potential is fine as long as it's in safe riding condition. This can be obtained for well under two grand. Get used to how a stock bike runs/handles so that you've got a point of comparison when making future modifications.

The Honda cb's are immensly popular because of their reliability and availability of parts -stock and aftermarket.

Take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation riding course if one is offered in your area.

If you are serious about buying a bike and learning how to ride and wrench on it, and eventually modify it, then you are in the right place. Most of the folks on here are highly experienced, many of them are vintage racers. Ask intelligent questions and you'll get honest, informative answers. Use the search function to research prior posts that may answer your questions.

I'm a noob as well, a little over a year ago I was in your position and I wish that I had found this sight sooner and followed all the advice that I just gave!

Welcome, best of luck and fill out your bio.
    \"Hey, McCloud! Get off of my ewe!\"

Trevor,
    \'72 Honda cl350 (sold)

\'80 gs450E, the \"spooky \'Zuki\"

\'04 Kawasaki Ninja 500

Personally I would start with a complete, running bike instead of a project. A vintage bike with "cafe" potential is fine as long as it's in safe riding condition. This can be obtained for well under two grand. Get used to how a stock bike runs/handles so that you've got a point of comparison when making future modifications.

The Honda cb's are immensly popular because of their reliability and availability of parts -stock and aftermarket.

Take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation riding course if one is offered in your area.

If you are serious about buying a bike and learning how to ride and wrench on it, and eventually modify it, then you are in the right place. Most of the folks on here are highly experienced, many of them are vintage racers. Ask intelligent questions and you'll get honest, informative answers. Use the search function to research prior posts that may answer your questions.

I'm a noob as well, a little over a year ago I was in your position and I wish that I had found this sight sooner and followed all the advice that I just gave!

Welcome, best of luck and fill out your bio.

Trevor,
    \'72 Honda cl350 (sold)

\'04 Kawasaki Ninja 500

Err, sorry if I rained on anybody's noobie-bashing parade...

Trevor,
    \'72 Honda cl350 (sold)

\'04 Kawasaki Ninja 500

Err, sorry if I rained on anybody's noobie-bashing parade...

Trevor,
    \'72 Honda cl350 (sold)

\'04 Kawasaki Ninja 500

the srx rocks. the later models are monoshock.

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links