about to start 1st project
Close

This is a discussion on about to start 1st project within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Been looking at getting a bike for awhile now, at first I wanted a newer gs500, sv650 or something like that. But I decided I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Been looking at getting a bike for awhile now, at first I wanted a newer gs500, sv650 or something like that. But I decided I wanted something I could make into a project, havent had anything to turn wrenches on for awhile and I'm starting to get withdrawals

Sooo today I went and looked at a 1980 cb750.
    Here is the add...
    "1980 cb750. it does run but needs the carbs cleaned( was sitting for sometime) It needs the ignition switch replaced or rekeyed the owner lost the key! it is a cheap fix, The plastic side covers are missing but they are avalible. The seat needs to be recovered. it needs a little TLC to make it a good daily rider. Remember this is a 29 year old bike, it is not perfect. It is a good project bike that doesnt need much. Also if you cant do the work yourself my shop can do it for you. Please call my cell"

As it says the previous owner lost the key... He was smart and didnt cut any wires though, the plug is just undone with some wires attached in there going to a switch so you can turn it over. I saw it run, needs some carb cleaning though, didnt want to idle on its own.
    The seat I'm not worried about as I plan on replacing it anyways.
    Gave it a good look over, probably been in arizona its whole life as I didnt see very much as far as rust at all.

So what does everyone think of it as far as a start for my cafe project? I can pick it up for 400. I talked to the guy at the shop that is selling it for somebody for awhile, he has been building cafe style bikes and bobbers and said he can help me out if I need it.

I also found a cx 500 that needs a speedometer cable and a master cylinder for 500 if I dont go this route.

Hopefully I can start posting pics of a half pulled apart and cleaned up bike soon lol

thanks

well, you don't talk about your skill level so I am just going to assume that you can tell me what a wrench looks like and little else.

personally, it is a cb750c custom with the awful 16" rear comstar. Lousy bike to make a performance motorcycle out of since you have to first undo the factory's misguided attempt to appeal to the chopper market in the 1980s.

Any old bike you buy is going to be a project, you don't need to search out and look for trash. 20-30 years of use means shit gets worn out naturally. Go find the best example of one you can afford and start riding it.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

well, you don't talk about your skill level so I am just going to assume that you can tell me what a wrench looks like and little else.

personally, it is a cb750c custom with the awful 16" rear comstar. Lousy bike to make a performance motorcycle out of since you have to first undo the factory's misguided attempt to appeal to the chopper market in the 1980s.

Any old bike you buy is going to be a project, you don't need to search out and look for trash. 20-30 years of use means shit gets worn out naturally. Go find the best example of one you can afford and start riding it.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

run away from that hunk-o-shit
    iphone generated fag

run away from that hunk-o-shit
    iphone generated fag

oh...and fill out your bio.

- Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

oh...and fill out your bio.

- Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

I have done a decent amount of work to my cars, so im sure my skill level is fine for working on a bike.

Ok, I am looking around trying to find a nicer bike, not finding much though. :/
    So what exactly is different about the 750 custom? The seat and bars could be replaced easily enough, but is the frame any different from the other models?

if you are dead set on a DOHC cb750 then find a cb750F supersport from 1979-1982. These were the sporting versions of the same engine. The frame tubes are actually thicker on the SS. Plus you got Dual disc brakes in front and a disc rear, the better frame, a better set of trees with less rake, better forks, better styling, and all around a better motorcycle. This is the time period where honda began engineering and building specific bikes for specific kind of riding and not just selling different flavors of the same bike as they had been with the SOHC.

Are the customs frames different? well maybe - I don't remember if the race is any different but the C and K both have the thin wall frame tubes vs the Fs which have the thick wall. The suspension and brakes are unique to the C as it has a single comstar disc upfront and 16" comstar drum rear), plus slightly longer forks, and the crappy single piston calipers which you can't upgrade. furthermore the stock exhaust is heavy and I am not sure there are aftermarket C exhausts made anymore.

Honestly if you were to build a sporting motorcycle out of that and do it properly, the only parts you would keep are the frame and the engine. A cafe racer is not just a seat/tank upgrade, it is a performance motorcycle. As long as you haven't bought your bike yet you might as well get the best starting point as you can. If you want to stick to hondas of that era get the F, otherwise GS750s and KZ1000s from the same period are still cheap (provided you don't find their chopper versions the L and the LTD) and with the GS750 you can still get spokes up to 1979.

Usually this is the part where a bunch of us regulars troll craigslist in your area and find you a few better bikes in the same price range but since you have decided to be a smartass and put USA as your location I will just go out and say way to defeat yourself here pal.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

oh, and working on cars is not like working on bikes at all. In many ways it is easier and others it is much much much harder. Bikes from the 1970s and 1980s were rolling testbeds for technology that eventually made their way to cars (DOHCs, Fuel Injection, Turbos, 4 valve heads, etc....). If you are used to working on good ol' fashioned 'Merican V-8s then the first time you go to do a valve adjustment on a bucket and shim DOHC engine your mind is going to blow out the side of your head. Consequently if you are from the new school of fucking with FI cars the concept of carb rebuilding and tuning is going to throw you for a solid loop.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links