harnessing solar power?
Close

harnessing solar power?

This is a discussion on harnessing solar power? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; so, while reading through the new ''motorcyclist'' magazine i saw a product in the gear section called the solio hybrid 1000. its a solar powered ...

harnessing solar power?

so, while reading through the new ''motorcyclist'' magazine i saw a product in the gear section called the solio hybrid 1000. its a solar powered battery charger for cell phones etc.

anyways, im sure you know where this is going.

if you had two or three of these solar batteries, maybe with the solar strips built to fit the curves of your fiberglass seat, would you really need an actual battery?

just wondering.

www.solio.com
    honk if youre horny.

Better have a long hill for that solar powered headlight.[)]

To get the required wattage to run a road machine, you're probably gonna need a couple square feet of panel. Possibly for a race machine. You need, what, 4-5A for a pair of coils....60W.

Flexible panels?: http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=256

I figure a NiMH(nickle metal hydride)pack with a purpose built regulator/rectifier unit would probably work. Lotsa f-ing around to shed few ounces, though.
    Hard to beat a lead acid battery for the abuse found on a bike.
    NE
    Subscribe to SIX HOT ISSUES!! of WarmPipe for only $29.99!!! Interweb NOW!!!!!

what about on a bike with a cdi? no coils...
    honk if youre horny.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:Originally posted by txchainsawgogi

what about on a bike with a cdi? no coils...
    CDI systems still have ignition coils...
    The solar things you asked about are .04Ah... dunno how many you'd need to get things running.
    Better off using a magneto or permanent magnet stator...
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

ah, just tossin the idea around. that wouldnt even be good enough as a self charging trickle charger huh.

i didnt mean a solar powered bike, i was thinking more along the lines of a battery that keeps itself fresh whenever you park your bike outside.
    honk if youre horny.

As a trickle charger....perhaps. I don't know if you could just wire it up and leave it connected all the time but my tender is current limited to 300ma and keeps the juicebox full when the bike sits. I've seen panels specifically for cars that plug into the lighter that are less that 12" x 6", I'd imagine something like that set into the top of a tankbag might just do the trick.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

the solio hybrid 1000 doesn't have the greatest reviews....and I think you are mistaken on how it works. From this article:

http://www.gadling.com/2007/12/05/pr...solar-charger/

Here's the lowdown: the Solio is not a concurrent charging solution. It's a two step process. First the Solio's own internal storage battery needs to be charged up ("cue the sun"), then you can plug in your device which charges itself off the Solio's battery. This is actually a good thing, because once the Solio is charged, you can charge your device day or night, rain or shine. Furthermore, once charged, the Solio will hold its charge for up to one year.

Now for the downside: while the Solio's Quick Start Guide gives the impression that you can just clip the Solio to your backpack and it'll quietly do its thing while you hike the day away, this is not necessarily true. Lengthy testing on my Solio revealed that not only does the Solio need to be pointing more or less directly at the sun to charge (a given, really), but it must be under clear sunlight (i.e. even slight overcast conditions means no charging occurs). So, even if you leave it stationary on a log all day, it needs a little babysitting. As the sun moves, you will need to adjust the Solio. Unfortunately, this means if wanna do that chic clip-it-to-your-backpack arrangement, unless you walk with your back to the sun all day, the Solio will only charge itself in fits and starts."

Which brings us to charging time... The Solio's alleged charging time is a little ambiguous. The guide states that it will charge from zero to full in 10-12 hours under direct sunlight and 12-48 hours under cloudy conditions. My testing usually required about 16-20 hours to charge under direct sunlight and I was never able to get the Solio to charge under cloudy/overcast conditions. To be fair, I must confess that most of my testing occurred in downtown Minneapolis, in the dwindling sunlight months of October and November. Perhaps under ideal conditions the Solio will perform better.

I can see you building this into the tail of your bike for an emergency cell phone charge, but honestly a plug in cigarette lighter like those sold at radio shack and a decent ride will do the same thing. I think it is pretty pipe dreamy to think you can use this as a trickle charger given the small amount of power it puts out and the whole battery charging arrangement.

Wanna know how to make your bike more green? loose weight. The less weight you carry, the a) faster it is, and b) more fuel efficient it becomes. The less energy it takes for the bike to maintain speed the less throttle is required and the more fuel is burned.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

geet, i didnt want to make anything greener...i was just wondering if a system like the solio would be sufficient(with some tinkering) to keep a small low amp hour battery charged. but if it doesnt put out much when charged, and has to be kept in direct sunlight... then i guess its barely good enough to keep my ipod goin'.

i think my bikes as light as its getting for right now.
    honk if youre horny.

Sponsored Links