Legality question.......
Close

Legality question.......

This is a discussion on Legality question....... within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey folks, Anyone know what the legal minimum size of bike is required for freeway/highway use in Calif. I have been trying to find out, ...

Legality question.......

Hey folks,
    Anyone know what the legal minimum size of bike is required for freeway/highway use in Calif. I have been trying to find out, but get multiple responses, ranging from 150cc to 250cc. I'm looking to get a small bike just to putter around some of the backroads in my area, but, some freeway use will be required to get anywhere. Thanks for your time..

john
    Royal Enfield can make any biker into a mechanic !!

150cc for freeway use in CA. Its on page 2 of the handbook.
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle.pdf
    I sure as hell would'nt want to be anywhere near a California freeway on anything smaller than a 250.

It's not so much the size of the motor...I've been on my 1958 Vespa (200c 2 stroke) across the Bay Bridge, up to Marin for long rides, etc. enough power to keep up - but its the size of the damn tires! My Vespa only has 8" tires, and hence doesn't get the stability that a larger moto tire does. The newer Vespa's have 12" tires and from what I hear they are pretty sweet on the freeway.

Cheers,
    AK
    1958 Vespa VBA
    1963 BMW R69S
    1965 Ducati 250 special
    1965 Alfa Romeo Veloce Spider
    2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Lemans

Sponsored Links