non running cb350?
Close

non running cb350?

This is a discussion on non running cb350? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I found a guy selling a 1969 cb350. He says it's complete but it is not running. What is it worth? is it a good ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

non running cb350?

I found a guy selling a 1969 cb350. He says it's complete but it is not running. What is it worth? is it a good project bike? this will be my first bike other than my old bultaco.
    cl360

That's a great first bike if it's complete! I'd pay $400 for that but you may be able to get it for less than that. Actually picking up a '68 CL350 for $20 which is also complete but been sitting outside.

I bought a 1970 CB350, not running but had been running a couple years ago, for $300. It was complete except for the air cleaners, aftermarket stupid loud mufflers and battery. After fixing a broken wire it started right up, but needs carb work. There also were no papers, but that is not a problem for a pre'72 bike in NY

So, the following check list could give you an idea

Proper paperwork, if registering an old bike is hard in your state-- +$$
    Does the motor kick over--not seized--+$$(If siezed plan on at least $800 rebuild)
    Are the mufflers original and in good shape--+$$$$ (stock mufflers are VERY hard to find and big bucks)
    Inside of the tank rust free-+$$
    Does it have the key? +$

IF the motor kicks over, even if it will run, you will most likely need new tires ($100 each), some cables, complete tune up,etc. To me a little tear in a seat is the same as a shredded cover- it needs to be replaced.

A $300 or even a $100 or free motorcycle can very quickly become a $1000 motorcycle!

If the owner will let you, take a compression test. It could be the difference between a buying a bike that needs a top end rebuild or not. If it kicks over and has decent compression, most old hondas will start right up with a fully charged battery, some gas in float bowls and hit the points with a piece of sandpaper. Check that the fuse off the battery is there and not blown, and change the oil before you start it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Yes it's a great first bike. And you'll find all the advice you need to get it running on this forum. Are you planning on doing a resto project or a cafe' job?
    \"Hey, McCloud! Get off of my ewe!\"

Trevor,
    \'72 Honda cl350 (sold)

\'80 gs450E, the \"spooky \'Zuki\"

\'04 Kawasaki Ninja 500

I am going to give the guy a call in a couple hours. It looks like oil is blown all of the transmission.

I am not going to go all out for now but I will add some cafe touches.

Will I be able to ride 2 up on this with my wife? I am about 155 and she is about 130. We wont be doing much if any highway time like that though.
    cl360

$1 per cc for a complete non-runner is a decent rule of thumb.

is it titled? if not, $.50 per cc.
    iphone generated fag

The owner just got back with me and this is what they said:

This is a project bike. It starts, started up yesterday. Needs a battery for the electric start. Only part missing is chain guard. Tires are good condition, but old and need air. Not a bike you'd jump on and ride. Title can be obtained, but not in hand.

I will call the dmv and see what it is going to take to get a title for it.
    cl360

It looks like the no title thing may be a deal breaker on this. It has not been licensed/titled since 1980.
    cl360

quote:Originally posted by onesojourner

It looks like the no title thing may be a deal breaker on this. It has not been licensed/titled since 1980.
    If the previous owner/seller was the last one to have a title on the bike, he should be able to go to the DMV and get a duplicate title pretty easily:

http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/motorv/titlerep.htm

If he was not the last titled owner, see if he can direct you to the person that WAS the last titled owner. If not, you may want to get the VIN checked to make sure it's not stolen and then go through a titling service like ITS:

http://www.its-titles.com/

They will cost you $145 so factor that in to your offering price and if the seller is not budging, point out the cost of gaining a new title. Otherwise you're buying a parts bike.....

Jim

this bike is on its third "trade" right now. The last 3 owners never had titles. That is going back 15 years or more according to this guy. That turns a $350 bike into a $500 bike and I don't know that its worth that.
    cl360

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links