Engine musings........ - Page 2
Close

Engine musings........

This is a discussion on Engine musings........ within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; http://3wheelerworldforums.com/attac...7&d=1088464036 http://3wheelerworldforums.com/showp...2&postcount=10 http://3wheelerworldforums.com/showp...2&postcount=13...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

There is that.....
    I could mill up a "deck" that could then be tig'd to a milled out engine case. Hmm.......
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

Swagger,
    Somebody made a 500 twin that had 2 Aermachi topends laid down on a new crank case. It was raced in the 60's, I think. The builder was Linto? or something like that. He was associated with Aermachi before that. I think milling the front out of a set of CB350 cases and moving the cylinders to mostly horizontal would work, but would worry about the length of the engine.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Swagger,
    Somebody made a 500 twin that had 2 Aermachi topends laid down on a new crank case. It was raced in the 60's, I think. The builder was Linto? or something like that. He was associated with Aermachi before that. I think milling the front out of a set of CB350 cases and moving the cylinders to mostly horizontal would work, but would worry about the length of the engine.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar

AAAAEEEEIiiiiiiiii! A horizontal twim 'Macchi! Exactly what I was thinking of...that's fucking primo.

I do agree about engine length being a real issue with a unitized conversion, hence my interest in breaking one apart. I can tig up the engine cases to seal the sump, I've done a couple XR250 motors for a dude who makes ultra lite planes. He did all the internal rework though from what I understand there wasn't a lot that needed to be done though that may be a trait of the XR lump.
    I'd quiz him about it but...he and my sister are no longer married and he dunna like me any longer. odd that...

My thought was that by de-unitizing the engine and trans, one could have a fair amount of freedom with layout. I could stack the trans above the crankshaft, much like just rotating the engine 90* but hopefully keeping the lubricants where they need to be. Plus.....fabricated stuff is just cool....
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

AAAAEEEEIiiiiiiiii! A horizontal twim 'Macchi! Exactly what I was thinking of...that's fucking primo.

I do agree about engine length being a real issue with a unitized conversion, hence my interest in breaking one apart. I can tig up the engine cases to seal the sump, I've done a couple XR250 motors for a dude who makes ultra lite planes. He did all the internal rework though from what I understand there wasn't a lot that needed to be done though that may be a trait of the XR lump.
    I'd quiz him about it but...he and my sister are no longer married and he dunna like me any longer. odd that...

My thought was that by de-unitizing the engine and trans, one could have a fair amount of freedom with layout. I could stack the trans above the crankshaft, much like just rotating the engine 90* but hopefully keeping the lubricants where they need to be. Plus.....fabricated stuff is just cool....
    ~Albert Einstein

http://www.vft.org/Sprint/LintoEngine.jpg
    http://www.vft.org/Sprint/LintoEngineLeft.jpg
    http://www.vft.org/Sprint/LintoEngineUnder.jpg
    Classic Bike Magazine

August 1997 "Siamese Twin" Patrick Godet's restoration of a 1969 Linto

Lino Tonti, a veteran of Aermacchi, Bianchi and Gilera, designed a race bike called the "Linto" just before he was
    hired at Moto Guzzi. The engine in the Linto was essentially two Aermacchi top ends grafted onto a single crankcase.

A Linto racing motorcycle placed second in the final World 500 GP standings in 1969
    1) Giacomo Agostini (MV Agusta) 2) Gyulay Marzowszky (Linto) 3) Freddy Nash (Norton)

Dick Linton raced a Linto at the Classic Senior Isle of Man TT in the mid Eighties
    and raced Aermacchis in the Junior class during the Seventies.
    He is now a supplier of Aermacchi parts in England

I found all this a VFT.org/sprint

A cool site

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    Evan Esar

http://www.vft.org/Sprint/LintoEngine.jpg
    http://www.vft.org/Sprint/LintoEngineLeft.jpg
    http://www.vft.org/Sprint/LintoEngineUnder.jpg
    Classic Bike Magazine

August 1997 "Siamese Twin" Patrick Godet's restoration of a 1969 Linto

Lino Tonti, a veteran of Aermacchi, Bianchi and Gilera, designed a race bike called the "Linto" just before he was
    hired at Moto Guzzi. The engine in the Linto was essentially two Aermacchi top ends grafted onto a single crankcase.

A Linto racing motorcycle placed second in the final World 500 GP standings in 1969
    1) Giacomo Agostini (MV Agusta) 2) Gyulay Marzowszky (Linto) 3) Freddy Nash (Norton)

Dick Linton raced a Linto at the Classic Senior Isle of Man TT in the mid Eighties
    and raced Aermacchis in the Junior class during the Seventies.
    He is now a supplier of Aermacchi parts in England

I found all this a VFT.org/sprint

A cool site

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    Evan Esar

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    Was wondering about that.
    I bought most of the parts to make a V-twin out of Honda XL185 at one time (years before V-twins got popular)
    Lost it all when I moved

PJ
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    Was wondering about that.
    I bought most of the parts to make a V-twin out of Honda XL185 at one time (years before V-twins got popular)
    Lost it all when I moved

PJ
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links