Engine musings........
Close

Engine musings........

This is a discussion on Engine musings........ within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; So I'm in the midst of building an Aermacchi that I've discussed here a bit and I have a couple S90ss that I'm slowly picking ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Engine musings........

So I'm in the midst of building an Aermacchi that I've discussed here a bit and I have a couple S90ss that I'm slowly picking away at for myself, both of which have made me more interested in the flat/lay-down engine format.

Keep in mind that this is just musing/mental masturbation at this point but winter is coming up.......and I own a well sorted machine shop......

Engines used to be separate from the transmission and unitized via engine plates. I wonder what it would take to separate say a CB350 and rework it to orient as a laydown job. I can mill a trany case and convert to chain primary (350s are geared aren't they?) and engine plates would be pretty simple. Don't have a chassis in mind but that's not really the point right now...

I know I'd need to rework the oil pickup and probably do some baffling to keep oil out of the bore....maybe.....

Thoughts?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

you have a lot of free time, don't you.

Two words: Dry Sump

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:Originally posted by UngaWunga

you have a lot of free time, don't you.
    Not technically, I'm a chronic insomniac...
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

I've been contemplating similar, although with a slightly simpler setup. I want to graft a CRF150R top end onto a bottom end that will fit where a Honda horizontal single like an S90 motor would go. I'd like to use a CR85 or similar transmission so I have something that'll handle the power, as well as having more than 4 gears.

I know the basics of designing the cases, as far as determining dimensions, but I have no skills or tools to pull it off.

My other thought has been a laydown conversion of a XR200 motor, which others have pulled off.

So I'd say what you're considering is 100% doable.

i have access ot a kt100 two stroke go kart motor. that needs a gear box and would be a neat contender for something like that. (no sump needed)

i have an xr200 motor whats the laydown version, or who has done this?

I haven't seen any conversions as of yet myself. I can build a Lifan 150 up to 202cc but it's still a 4spd and it'd still look like a pretty standard honda style laydown.....

A kart motor could be interesting but small, I still like the idea of a twin/multi cylinder.
    ~Albert Einstein

I'll see if I can track down the XR laydown conversions again, bunch of nutters in Austrailia make them, and shove them in ATC70s... crazy sand trikes are the result. : )

Its an interesting exercise. I'd just be careful about what engine I chose to hack the gearbox off of. I think you'll have a hard time sealing the back of the engine, especially older engines where the case fit was a little... looser.

Might have to do some oil passage modifications to prevent oil from pooling in the head.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links