Castor Oil - Page 3
Close

Castor Oil

This is a discussion on Castor Oil within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I'm thinking of trying something different in my GT550 as I run just Yamalube. I wouldn't mind trying out castor in the old Indy. She ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Castor Oil

Senior Member Pinche Chingadera's Avatar
    I'm thinking of trying something different in my GT550 as I run just Yamalube. I wouldn't mind trying out castor in the old Indy. She doesn't kick out alot of smoke but sure leaves a mess on the lower pipes and the rear rim just down right nasty after about a month of every riding from oil residue.
    Once your dead, life just ain\'t worth living.

quote:Originally posted by parks61

mobil 1
    -parks

If they call a sheep a ram.
    And a donkey an ass.
    Why do they call a ram in the ass a goose?

quote:Originally posted by parks61

mobil 1
    -parks

If they call a sheep a ram.
    And a donkey an ass.
    Why do they call a ram in the ass a goose?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

A little birdie told me the castor does not burn at all, it's flash point is WAAAY higher than anything else going on in your engine, just gets carried around by the combustion process. So remember to drain your exhaust while it's nice and warm! Low temp viscosity, high temp resistance, great aroma.... just gotta tear down often. Sounds good to me. Not that I own any two-strokes...

A little birdie told me the castor does not burn at all, it's flash point is WAAAY higher than anything else going on in your engine, just gets carried around by the combustion process. So remember to drain your exhaust while it's nice and warm! Low temp viscosity, high temp resistance, great aroma.... just gotta tear down often. Sounds good to me. Not that I own any two-strokes...

Champ,
    we sell maxima brand castor 927,
    it sells well but its twice as much as standard two stroke oil.

Champ,
    we sell maxima brand castor 927,
    it sells well but its twice as much as standard two stroke oil.

Castrol castor oils R30 was the oil of choice for water-cooled engines and R40 for air-cooled, and Castrol M for methanol fuelled two-strokes. All3 have incredible affinity for adhesion to metal surfaces and as such provide excellent anti seize properties along with reduced piston, ring, bore and big end wear..

Some claim that castor gums up the rings and causes the ring sticking but I have never found this to be a problem, even on engines that are required to run 500 miles between rebuilds. Generally ring sticking occurs only when fuel-to-oil ratio is leaned right off to less than 25:1.

Castor oils are hygroscopic, they absorb moisture from the air.

Synthetic oils are prone to less plug fouling and less carbon buil-up in the custom chamber and exhaust port and on the crown and sides of the piston.

My prime recommendation for road race bikes and road race and spirit karts running on petrol is Castrol A747 castor/synthetic or Shell Advance Racing X2 synthetic. For enduro and motocross bikes used in competition I prefer Shell Advance Racing X2 synthetic. Castrol R30 or R40 will not provide quite the same level of protection as A747 or X2, but both are good budget lubricants giving excellent protection providing the engine is regularly decoked For high performance sports road bikes and also enduro and MX bikes not used in competition Mobil Racing 2T synthetic and Castrol TSS synthetic are excellent. Both are suitable for oil injection systems.

This is all straight from Two-Stroke Performance Tuning by A. Graham Bell
    For those interested in 2 stroke performance theory, you can buy the book on Amazon.com for a fair price.

Castrol castor oils R30 was the oil of choice for water-cooled engines and R40 for air-cooled, and Castrol M for methanol fuelled two-strokes. All3 have incredible affinity for adhesion to metal surfaces and as such provide excellent anti seize properties along with reduced piston, ring, bore and big end wear..

Some claim that castor gums up the rings and causes the ring sticking but I have never found this to be a problem, even on engines that are required to run 500 miles between rebuilds. Generally ring sticking occurs only when fuel-to-oil ratio is leaned right off to less than 25:1.

Castor oils are hygroscopic, they absorb moisture from the air.

Synthetic oils are prone to less plug fouling and less carbon buil-up in the custom chamber and exhaust port and on the crown and sides of the piston.

My prime recommendation for road race bikes and road race and spirit karts running on petrol is Castrol A747 castor/synthetic or Shell Advance Racing X2 synthetic. For enduro and motocross bikes used in competition I prefer Shell Advance Racing X2 synthetic. Castrol R30 or R40 will not provide quite the same level of protection as A747 or X2, but both are good budget lubricants giving excellent protection providing the engine is regularly decoked For high performance sports road bikes and also enduro and MX bikes not used in competition Mobil Racing 2T synthetic and Castrol TSS synthetic are excellent. Both are suitable for oil injection systems.

This is all straight from Two-Stroke Performance Tuning by A. Graham Bell
    For those interested in 2 stroke performance theory, you can buy the book on Amazon.com for a fair price.

Once again this is a question of use. IF your bike is going to sit around and only get used once in a while I would use a synthetic over castor oil. If you are going to use your bike several times a week I would use castor. THX mentioned castor is hydroscopic and that is really the main problem with having it sit around - it will pull moisture to it and rust will form eventually.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links