CB900F electrical systems
Close

This is a discussion on CB900F electrical systems within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Normally pretty strong? Local bike is advertised cheap, but isn't charging. I know it could be a stator, regulator, battery, or just a loose connection. ...

Normally pretty strong? Local bike is advertised cheap, but isn't charging. I know it could be a stator, regulator, battery, or just a loose connection. Anything on these bikes known to suck?

Besides being heavy bikes from the 1980s....

basically the RR can die and blow up the rotor or stator or vice versa. Poor connections in the system can kill all of it. Brushes are the simple fix...

It takes a little to get em back going but they are certainly no worse (or no better) than alot of the other systems of the era. The only big advantage is everything is easy to get off
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

I would bet on the regulator / rectifier. Check all the yellow wires for overheating evidence. They don't have brushes. They are a battery excited alternator. I have seen the rotor fail more often than the stator.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

the electrical system on all these early 1980s hondas are known to suck hard. The stators are known to fail as is the reg/rect and the pulse controllers. the fortunate thing is except for the stator the rest is pretty cheap. Most of the cbF guys update the 900f regs with cbr600 units.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/stators.htm

right below the rotor are listed brushes...Battery juice gets to the rotor to excite the alternator via these brushes (with all due respect ) That being said, it probably aint the issue....
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

quote:Originally posted by raven

right below the rotor are listed brushes...Battery juice gets to the rotor to excite the alternator via these brushes (with all due respect ) That being said, it probably aint the issue....
    My goodness, I stand corrected, thanks. In all the years I worked on those things I don't think I ever had to replace a set of brushes, so I forgot about them.

I agree, probably not the issue.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar

quote:Originally posted by raven

My goodness, I stand corrected, thanks. In all the years I worked on those things I don't think I ever had to replace a set of brushes, so I forgot about them.

I agree, probably not the issue.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    Evan Esar

The only set I have ever seen replaced (online) was due to mechanical failure, the brush actually broke probably due to a manufacturing defect.

Interestingly enough on my bike, it charged to spec even after sitting for 25 years. I did end up replacing the connector shell going down to the engine as it had nearly disintegrated over time but so far no issues on this one. Probably fail next time I start it [xx(]

Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)

The only set I have ever seen replaced (online) was due to mechanical failure, the brush actually broke probably due to a manufacturing defect.

Interestingly enough on my bike, it charged to spec even after sitting for 25 years. I did end up replacing the connector shell going down to the engine as it had nearly disintegrated over time but so far no issues on this one. Probably fail next time I start it [xx(]

Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)

Sponsored Links