Tank mounting advice - Page 2
Close

Tank mounting advice

This is a discussion on Tank mounting advice within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; thats a sexy bike!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    thats a sexy bike!

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    You need to get motor in first and check for clearance. You may find the 'top hat' bracket will be shorter than you thought.
    Could always line up top edge of tank with top of steering head? ( although that will mess up the 'line'

PJ
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

I'm assuming you don't want to mod your frame.

You've already got a threaded mount on either side of the steering stem tube. I'd incorporate those. That gusset between the downtube and top tube would provide another mounting point. I'd get some flat steel the same thickness as that gussest and cut it to fit inside the interior curve. I'll call this a "locator plate." Then, fab two brackets, one per side, that match up with the existing mount points, and curve in toward the c/l to fit flush against either side of the gusset and locator plate we made. Drill the plate and brackets. Attach them to the front mount with the existing bolts and put another bolt and nut through the brackets and the locator plate. The bottom of the brackets bend outwards to fit the vertical tank brackets.

It's easier to understand in a sketch:

<center></center>

Conversely, if you were willing to modify your frame, you could simply drill a hole directly in your gusset, but at some point in the future, someone who ends up with this bike will call you a hoser in absentia.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:Originally posted by Tanshanomi
    /thread

quote:Originally posted by Tanshanomi

I'm assuming you don't want to mod your frame.

You've already got a threaded mount on either side of the steering stem tube. I'd incorporate those. That gusset between the downtube and top tube would provide another mounting point. I'd get some flat steel the same thickness as that gussest and cut it to fit inside the interior curve. I'll call this a "locator plate." Then, fab two brackets, one per side, that match up with the existing mount points, and curve in toward the c/l to fit flush against either side of the gusset and locator plate we made. Drill the plate and brackets. Attach them to the front mount with the existing bolts and put another bolt and nut through the brackets and the locator plate. The bottom of the brackets bend outwards to fit the vertical tank brackets.

It's easier to understand in a sketch:

<center></center>

Conversely, if you were willing to modify your frame, you could simply drill a hole directly in your gusset, but at some point in the future, someone who ends up with this bike will call you a hoser in absentia.
    That's a great idea - could definitely drill a hole in the gusset - but any idea if that would compromise the strength of the frame? Early Ducatis are already notoriously soft in steering head strength.

Awesome sketch btw - what did you use to make that? Google Sketch?

Cheers!
    AK
    1958 Vespa VBA
    1963 BMW R69S
    1965 Ducati 250 special
    1965 Alfa Romeo Veloce Spider
    2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Lemans

quote:Originally posted by tonupoakland

That's a great idea - could definitely drill a hole in the gusset - but any idea if that would compromise the strength of the frame? Early Ducatis are already notoriously soft in steering head strength.

Awesome sketch btw - what did you use to make that? Google Sketch?

Cheers!
    AK
    If it was me, I'd certainly go with the no-drill method to ensure the integrity of your frame -- in both the historical and structural sense.

That's not CAD, just a quickie sketch I made with a drawing program -- Freehand MX to be specific.

Here are a few pics of my front tank mount. Evan sent me a length of aluminum channel that fit between the mounts, I slotted it then welded it onto another piece of aluminum. Then I drilled a couple holes and bolted the whole shooting match to the brace on the frame.

You could do something similar, but weld the tab above the channel so it wouldn't stick below the tank. The thing to watch out for if you go this way is, leave enough room for the coil.

I went under the channel so the force was taken by the mounting tab instead of the weld. Likely doesn't really matter and if it fails the tank isn't going anywhere anyway. (going under kept the tab out of the way of the coil too)

I also know a guy how ran a threaded rod off the coil mount, and used that to hold up the cross piece.

I was too lazy to pull the tank for a better view, but I think you get the idea?

Anywhos, here are a couple of the entire bike as it sits. Rims are wrong, fenders are wrong (they won't be valanced) and the front hub is wrong, but other than that...

P.S. Yes, I realize the nylocks aren't engaged. I have them spaced that far out because I got sick of needing a socket to deal with them!! You have no idea how many times the tank was installed/removed in the process of coming up with this simple mount...
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

A couple more things I just thought of -

There is a rubber pad in the tunnel of the tank, so the tank is resting on the frame. The bracket only keeps the tank from tilting - though having said that, the rubber/foam isn't compressed right now. the weight of the gas WILL be on the brace after all because the foam won't support extra weight. Hmm...

Also, the engine in mine is a 350 so the cylinder is something like 15mm(?) taller than yours. It looks like the mounting bolts are far enough forward that I doubt the head will give you much trouble in coming up with a mount. (For reference, the coil on my bike barely fits above the head)

It's the rear cylinder head bolts that will hit the tank first and cause you grief when positioning the tank. Ask me how I know.

Finally, the seat isn't positioned correctly in those pics, it will sit slightly lower and at a different angle than shown.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

Why not just glass in some beefy tabs up front and use the original tank mounts for your glass tank?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

Borzwazie has the exact same idea as I do, but I posted it before he did and what I pictured in my head was much more elegant that his half-assed diagram. Alas, I would have to make a drawing with pen & paper and scan it to post it, because I'm old and not a technology guy. But my drawing would be pretty (after all I did go to art school).

His & my idea is really the best one here - by far. Seriously. Really... it is.
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links