hack, geeto, opinion needed
Close

This is a discussion on hack, geeto, opinion needed within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; what are your thoughts on the 1987 american version VFR 700 interceptors? cheap good bike? Evil...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what are your thoughts on the 1987 american version VFR 700 interceptors?

cheap good bike?

Evil
    Inertial dynos just make people cranky

SRR
    Want a project '86 for cheap?

Seriously though, they're great. Can be a pain in the ass to work on, but not necessarily more or less so than any comparable bike. It's more than capable in the twisties and equally great for putting highway miles behind you, I've ridden mine across the country two and a half times.
    Flattrackin.

The early 700? Only if it have gear driven cams. Otherwise, the '83-'85 bikes (500, 700, 750) had cam pitting problems due to low oil pressure in the top end.

Gear driven cams are just cool.

Also, the '83-'85 bikes (I think) had that funky 16" front wheel. Handled oddly on the air-assist forks. I had a 1984 VF500F as my first bike.

And yes, they suck to work on.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

SRR
    The VFR has gear driven cams, the VF used a chain. The 86 and 87 also have 16" front and 18" rear, they made it handle just fine like that from the factory, but it limits your tire choices pretty severely. The CBR600 front end swap isn't too hard to do, lots of info about it online.
    Flattrackin.

There's one around here for $700.00. supposedly runs well.
    Inertial dynos just make people cranky

lots of people complain about the interceptors for being top heavy. I think it is alright but then again most bikes are top heavy to me when I am sitting on them. When they work they are great bikes. The packaging leaves something to be desired to work on and god forbid you have to do carbs on these bikes it is a true pain in the asscrackers.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

that isn't a bike I've owned although there has been one 750 interceptor around and about my shop a few years back. I did assist getting the clutch sortred out and freshened on it and not much else other than finding out my light weight and hard-tailed xs750 would destroy it up to about 100 mph or so. Never did find out if there would be any contest after that since it had a huge hd handle bar mounted windshield that put it in to a long loopy weave about that speed and it sold before we could ever get them lined up with the shield off.

so.... I appreciate being addressed and thanks, but, I just don't have any useful hands on experience with those bikes of which to offer up any sage.
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

Those were fine bikes. The VFR has a nice Aluminum frame and gear drive cams. As was stated, the carbs are not too bad to get off and work on. They are virtually impossible to get back on without copious profanity and blood loss through the knuckles. A cerb clean is a major effort. I think they are a great bike and will have one one of these days fo an every day rider.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

New manifolds(if still available)will cut that swearin' down some. It really takes Old Man Strength to get them on. Seems it took half the day getting them popped in a VF500 I recently went through.
    Torquey and willing to rev. Thankfully the custy didn't want the valves adjusted.

NE
    Subscribe to SIX HOT ISSUES!! of WarmPipe for only $29.99!!! Interweb NOW!!!!!

SRR
    I can get my carbs on with some proper positioning and some petroleum jelly. I do put every bit of my 180 lbs into it, but it works. I think it's jamiedaughertymotorsports.com has some pics of the ideal positioning for the manifolds to make it easier to get them on. It does help. But yeah, for $700, if it runs, you should get into it.
    Flattrackin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links