92 VFR750 thoughts?
Close

92 VFR750 thoughts?

This is a discussion on 92 VFR750 thoughts? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; So I'm a magnet for bikes my buddies no longer want. I get'm for free sometimes but always cheap. So my friend has a 92 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

92 VFR750 thoughts?

So I'm a magnet for bikes my buddies no longer want. I get'm for free sometimes but always cheap.

So my friend has a 92 VFR750 he bought new, put about 14k miles on it and low sided at maybe 5 miles per hour turning around in a gravel driveway. I laughed at that a lot, was there. He bragged abotu NEVER falling down except on track days. Oops.
    The fairing is done but the tank, rear bits, seat etc are all in fine shape. It's been sitting for nearly 5 years since then.
    What does the collective wisdom say it's worth? KBB shows $2385 for a good one a solid shape. This one's nice but for the front plastics.

To be clear, it's already sitting in my storage and I have the title signed and in-hand...just need to give him a fair price. Got it running pretty well last week at his joint, took a bit of elbow grease and time but nothing more expensive than a new battery and chems.

Here's what I think would be cool; strip away the left-over bits from the front fairing and work on cleaning up the visuals up front.
    Some kind of frame mounted bullet fairing like this:

I like the 'feature' on the sides a lot. Fill the headlight hole and run a couple 3" projectors down low in separate cutouts. Probably rework the seat cowl too. The think I dig the most is the exhaust note with specific mods. Last year at the BMW open house I went to, there was a kat ripping around on a similar year VFR and he had a neat 4-4 exhaust with 4 small aluminum canisters, two on each side of his tail piece. It sounded like a high reving smallblock..

Anyway, just mental thrashing......thoughts?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

FR
    I'm a fan of the VFR. I've seen a few cool streetfighters, no well done cafe's that I can remember though. I guess it depends on what the end use strategy is. Are you going to keep it or sell it?
    The exhaust sounds like it could be cool, can't beat that engine for unique exhaust sound.
    My guess on value, $1600 plus or minus a couple hunge for tires/chain condition.
    FR

http://sidewaysnortheast.blogspot.com/

I have no idea what they would be worth in the US, but the single sided swingarms are REALLY desirable with the streetfighter guys for wheel conversions on Fireblades and Gixxers. You will be hard pressed to find a VFR SSSA in the wreckers in Australia anymore.

The motors in that generation VFR's were excellent - gear driven cams and V four torque made them brilliant low maintenance sport tourers.

The only problem I could see with running that fairing would be the radiator(s). Does it have the twin side mount radiators like the VTR1000 or the single one under the headstock?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

bcr
    I really like my vfr. great motor and a reasonably trick chassis. I doubt that pictured faring will work without some serious cutting as in down the middle and widening it about 4+ inches, particularly if you are keeping the stock tank. give your bud 1500, replace the busted plastic, let the kids at the local vocational school paint it for you, be happy you're rolling a nice bike. cheers, bcr

i had that same bike....'92 750. biggest mistake i have made in the past 5 years was selling it. i got mine for $1500 with less miles than the one you're looking at and my plastic was perfect (albeit...sunfaded!). i think FR and bcr are in the right range....he is your bud so you don't want to screw him, but at the same time, you don't wanna over pay. KBB is o.k., what does NADA say? remember these reference materials are guides only....it is what the market will bear that counts. cash in hand without him having to lift a finger is definitely worth something!

keep us posted....and we need pics!

cheers,

tex
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

Whatever you decide about replacing the plastic bits (I like the Ducati fairing idea), make sure you give it that first generation red/white/blue paint scheme. That would be sweet.
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

looked a little further into it and I think I will offer him $1500 because he's a friend, though it's probably worth more like $1200 if i pay heed to Nada (price for a 95 was $1780 in decent condition. Based on replacing the factory plastics, gauges, all the fiddly bits etc.

It's got one central radiator, not twins (thankfully). I kinda like this fairing too and would go a short way to covering the radiator:

or this one for the same reason:

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

Ooooh! Twin round headlights! Make it look like this:

http://motorcycles.about.com/od/conc...totype-3-4.htm
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

that's the ticket judey....kinda like an RC30 replica!

i like it!

tex
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

Hey Swagger, that 2nd fairing is a copy of the Suzuki GS1150EF fairing. You should be able to find a bunch of them around the place as they were not real popular with the Suzuki crowd (I had an EF and took the fairing off - couldn't give it away so I ended up taking it to the dump)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links